Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 11:41   #1

Smile Ziplock Bags

Okay, I’m confused now. What size of Ziplock are best? Do you use sandwich over pints or quarts and how big is a quart anyway? I understand Pints and Liters, but quarts and gallons defeat me. Help!
Please!
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:03   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Ziplock bags

Gallon if I remember right is about 3.75 litres.

Gallon is 4 quarts

2 pints equal 1 quart

Quart is 32 oz

Gallon is 128 oz.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:07   #3
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat

we ussually buy a bunch at a wholesale store before we go. get the original ziplocks, not the ones with the slidy things, they suck. freezer ones hold up better. 1gallon is the size we use most, double bag and freeze meat in them, debox and put all foodstuffs in them. they make good ice too if filled and put in freezer. use bigger sizes for bulky stuff, quart is only used for leftover and stuff like that, stopped buying them a couple years ago. again good quality ziplock, cheap zippy ones ruined alot of stuff.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:14   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

size depends on needs--i store large stuff in bigger ones--always freezer ones, and smaller stuff in smaller ones..... works well-- sometimes i even double them.
netbook fits in one gallon size, cell into pint..lol..... and stuff needed to stay dry in boat while sailing and such-- depends on needs....gallon for shower kit. ye know....
quart-pint for potty paper inmexico... ye know....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Gallon if I remember right is about 3.75 litres.

Gallon is 4 quarts

2 pints equal 1 quart

Quart is 32 oz

Gallon is 128 oz.
Reminder those are US measurements.

An imperial gallon is 160 oz.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:35   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm with Zeehag here - I put sandwiches and other small things in the small sandwich bags; and I put netbooks and other big things in the big bags.

Sometimes, I would take big bags and little bags into school, where I would get my Kindergarten class to match the big things into the big bags, and the little things in to the little bags!! I found it was good training for if they ever want to go cruising when they grow up!!

I don't even look at the size stated on the box. I look at how wide the box is, and that's usually how wide the bags inside are - minus a cm (half inch - ish). And since they're usually square shaped, then they are that high too.

Except for once when I bought some which were designed for hot dog buns. Imagine the confusion that caused, trying to find the right sized things to go in them. I ad to make wraps with flat bread, 'cos the square slices didn't fit in them.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:41   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

who puts sammiches in em?????/ sheeeesh... how droll.....mundane... NORMAL..... omg..food--hadnt even thunka dat--lol--- freezer bags only-- do not do this with regular ones..LOL..... i got brave and doit with the zipper mechanism freezer ones also---lol--- SOUP ...LOL
anything elctronicalandelectrical..... mechanical
screws andscrewinesses..LOL..... but food?????? scary thought. are they sterile??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 12:56   #8

There are 2 pints to one quart, and 4 quarts (quarters) to one gallon. That makes a pint 1/8 of a gallon.

There are 3.785 liters per gallon.

There are 2.113 pints per liter.

There is a size of Ziploc bag called "Snack", 6.5" x 3.25", that holds small items, food, nuts and bolts, batteries, whatever. At ~2 cents each we use them whenever a larger bag is not needed.

We do keep zip bags in sizes: Snack, quart, gallon, 2.5 gallon. We keep the quart and gallon in both the 'storage' and heavier 'freezer' styles to save money - the freezer bags are almost twice the cost but many times a standard bag is all that is needed.

I'll second the motion on not buying the bags with the zipper slide device - these become worthless after a few slides and the bags then cannont be worked easily. The standard or double-track closures work fine. Ziploc brand is our choice. Hefty and Glad second. And generic brand of the various types from fine to bad, but hard to remember which generic is good when shopping...

With a dish brush with a full round soft head it is easy to wash the larger freezer bags out to reuse and save a few dollars a month, but they have come down in price so we don’t do that much anymore.

The standard square Ziploc brand "disposable" storage containers are great too. We finally tossed our old mess of various types and sizes of "Tupperware" containers and standardized to two sizes of containers for everyday use, and the lids are interchangeable from small to medium. These are FAR easier to wash with a brush and reuse than bags, if you are 'cheap' like us. All the lids are the same, and all the containers stack together in one stack...

"Small Square" and "Medium Square":

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:04   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
who puts sammiches in em?????/ sheeeesh... how droll.....mundane... NORMAL..... omg..food--hadnt even thunka dat--lol---

....... but food?????? scary thought. are they sterile??
Probably more sterile than the deck, which I eat em off when I take 'em outta the bag. Tho to be honest, since we switched from a live-in maid to a daily, I have to make my own sandwiches at work now. And consequently I throw a bag of flatbread, lettuce & meat (they're in ziploc bags) etc in a carrier bag - and lay the bread flat on the benches to make the sandwiches... Hey look, I'm fine. Who needs sterile?

Oh, and we wash and re-use the ziploc bags until they fall apart. How green are we?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
...How green are we?
So green that if you ever get blue, you'll have yellow left over?

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:40   #11

Cheers everyone,I have used the A4 size ones that lakeland do, but the last couple of bags ii have had, the slide thing managed to cut throught the plastic!!

You know, you cant get Ziplock bags in sainsbury or tesco's for some reason. So I will have to get them online. Such is life...
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:48   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Sorry, this is a little off-topic but related (sort of) .

Where can I get this product in the USA? Or an equivalent? Schur Inventure - Ice Cube Bags
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 18:49   #13

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Glad - Food

Or try "googling" ice cube bags. There are many options out there. West Marine used to carry some-but I did not see any on the website.
Old 22-03-2011, 19:22   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
Glad - Food

Or try "googling" ice cube bags. There are many options out there. West Marine used to carry some-but I did not see any on the website.
Well isn't THAT the coolest thing? (pun intended)

I keep ALL sizes of ziplocs including the size for clothes and linens
Old 22-03-2011, 19:41   #15

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Ziplock baggies are your best friend on a cruising boat. We keep at least two boxes of each size from pint to 2 gallon on board. Just about everything ends up in one or the other including boat parts, oil filters, fuel filters, etc. The 1 and 2 gallon are the best for carrying netbook or lapbook computers ashore and protecting them from moisture or rain. We even carry our check-in/out documentation in a 2 gal ziplock baggie so that the stuff doesn't get wet or lost. Never used them for active food - use tupperware type container for active food. But we do use the freezer versions for storing meats, etc. in "meal for two" portions.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote