Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2011, 04:16   #16

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Your opinion on Non pressurized alcohol stoves

Recently got an Origo to replace my PRESSURIZED Alcohol stove. Big difference between the two and it seems most opponents to alcohol are unaware of them.

If I had propane already installed, I would stick with it. I got the Alcohol stove because it was cheap and a drop in replacement to the old one. Installing a propane system is expensive, but once it's in, its safe and is the best fuel as most people will argue.

$15 a gallon for alcohol is a kinda big drawback, but thats only $200 a year on the larger scale of things it doesn't seem as bad....and there are occasions to get it cheaper. Sears Hardware sells 5gallon cans for like $40. But not all the stores stock it, you can get it shipped from there website (I had previously thought shipping was free, but the alcohol is excluded from that deal) for about $20 which basically gives you a free gallon....

I like the turkey baster idea... Somebody else suggesting using a 2 gallon pump sprayer (like a lawn chemical sprayer) and removing the 'spray' nozzle... sounds like a good idea... Or maybe one of those manual (hand pump) syphone hozes that are like $2 at walmart. Otherwise its not too terribly difficult to just fill in the sink

Alcohol isn't perfect but it is a good option, Having a propane canister BBQ should fill in the gaps
Old 25-03-2011, 05:13   #17

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

I still have the original pressurized alcohol stove that was in the boat when I got it. Rebuilt the burners. It works very well once you get used to priming procedure. I like the idea of water soluble fuel. A bucket of water would extinguish any fire. While propane would be a lot better for cooking, I would not install this heavier-than-air gas in a boat. It just seems to be inviting an explosion. I do carry small bottled propane for a small, gimballed one burner stove for cooking while tossing about. This works really well, is mountable in cabin or cockpit and the smaller bottles can easily be stored in a vented space. For single-handing, have a mount on the pedestal so I can make fresh coffee right on deck. Does anyone else still use their old Kenyon stove? Have you had any major problems?
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 05:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
My first boat had a pressurized alcohol stove/oven with a separate tank. It worked fine so long as I was watching it, otherwise it had a tendency, in the oven, to run away. My friend's boat across the dock had the Origo range/oven. He and his wife had baked some muffins and were on board ours. The wife went back to their boat for a smoke and started yelling. Even though they had turned off the oven, the knob didn't work and their oven "ran away". My friend grabbed a hose and ran below to quench the fire and the stove, being red hot, blew up. It scattered bits of glass from the oven door all over the place and the wood all around the stove/range was severely singed. To their credit, Origo, sent him a new stove when he contacted them.

Those kind of things, plus the pre-heat needed, convinced me to go to propane. It's dangerous as well but with a proper installation and few safety monitors, I'll live with it. Also, as mentioned in prior posts, propane is more versatile for fine cuisine.

Rich
Do a bit of research on how a non pressurized stove works (it shouldn't take long - their not complicated) and you will realize how ridiculous your friends version of events are and, in turn, your post is.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 05:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
We always fill in the sink but still don't like to waste the spilled fuel. I'm amazed nobody has come up with a no-drip, no-spill nozzle. I've thought of trying to use a gasoline fuel hose balloon pump, but then we'd have to store it somewhere.

Suggestions are welcome
Maybe get a Maxie? These stoves made in Sydney have a cylinder aft and a screw cap. Simply remove the cap, insert funnel and pour (from one litre bottles is best). I can't envisage a design that could make that simple process difficult.

And on fuel choice, I know there's no point in trying to convince the propaners to see sense, so I won't...except to say that you'd have to be sick of living to have that explosive and heavier than air stuff on your boat and, when it leaks, in your bilge.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 06:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you maybe also want to think about where you are going to be cruising as alcohol is not always readily available in third world countries.

in a lot of europe it is also a controlled substance as kids and tramps like to drink it!!!!

also there are storage implications if carrying it in any quantity;ie vented locker or on deck,as it has explosive properties.

kerosene/parafin might be a better option as pretty much available world wide for lighting and heating,though propane/butane correctly installed,with thermocouples etc have proven track records for safety and ease of use.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 06:28   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Not really a hands on tried and tested solution - as I never been a full timer onboard (and at the moment I can't remember where the Origio 2 burner actually is - but not a great problem, the galley ain't gone back yet ).............but I was starting to experiment with decanting into smaller (and squeezable) bottles.

- unfortunately I never got to decide how useful that was in practice before the galley got removed ........but my thinking was that a squeezable half litre bottle was aimable with only lifting the lid (and no naked flames ). The idea being that I could fill / refill a few half litre bottles at my conveniance, so whenever the stove ran out I could easily top up enough to carry on cooking - if not also for another day or 3...........obviously a small funnel was involved in the decanting process. and a bucket for any overspill.........I was still refining nozzle size and caps...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 06:34   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner HD View Post
My biggest concern is in fuel consumption. We live aboard and cook a lot! I've read that you only get 6-8 hours per quart of fuel?!
Lots of advice about explosions, but not too many answers to your biggest concern.

As someone pointed out, propane has more BTUs than alcohol does. The purpose of a stove is to transfer heat from a fuel to a food. Since propane has more heat, it follows that it will be more efficient as a cooking fuel. That is why you hear folks complaining about how long it takes to cook things that need boiling water; it takes a long time to get the water boiling with alcohol.

So, one would probably consume more alcohol than propane given the same cooking habits. 6-8 hrs per quart is probably about right, especially because you "cook a lot!"

In the end, the safety issue is a decision you have to make.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:36   #23

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

It always amazes me on stove threads. You can say anything you want about btu's or cooking properties. How well one cooks as opposed to the other (alcohol vs propane) is subjective. Everyone has there own opinion. But as far as safety goes NON pressurized alcohol is without question the safest. 99.999% of alcohol stove fires are with PRESSURIZED alcohol stoves. I would have propane before I would a PRESSURiZED alcohol stove. You would have to try really hard and plan things just right to start a galley fire with a NON pressurized alcohol stove.

As far as price of alcohol, Ace Hardware is the cheapest place I have found $9.99 a gallon. They even beat the big box stores by 2 or 3 dollars a gallon.
Old 25-03-2011, 06:46   #24

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Schooner HD.
Sorry for my bad manners, I should have said that too. I was skimming a lot of posts and just came across the one with the serious misinformation and hadn't even seen yours.

Welcome to CF and congratulations for starting a discussion about one of the Hot Topics"

-Sven
Old 25-03-2011, 06:50   #25

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

One thing I keep reading just does not ring true with my experience. We live on our boat and use the two burner Origo NON pressurized stove for 100% of our cooking, except that we have a rail mounted grill. People say that it takes along time to boil water because alcohol has lower btu's, it does have a little lower but not noticeable. I boil the kettle every morning. It doesn't seem to take any longer than when we lived ashore with an electric stove.

If we had any problem, it would be getting the flame adjusted low enough at times.

As far as fuel consumption goes we use about a gallon every a two weeks.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:05   #26

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
It always amazes me on stove threads. You can say anything you want about btu's or cooking properties. How well one cooks as opposed to the other (alcohol vs propane) is subjective. Everyone has there own opinion.
As someone said, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. The facts about BTU properties of the two fuels are not subjective. The habits of cooking certainly vary considerably...

Quote:
As far as price of alcohol, Ace Hardware is the cheapest place I have found $9.99 a gallon. They even beat the big box stores by 2 or 3 dollars a gallon.
Yes, but I think the question is: How much cooking can you do with that gallon? Perhaps you have some personal experience that would help the OP.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not really a hands on tried and tested solution - as I never been a full timer onboard (and at the moment I can't remember where the Origio 2 burner actually is - but not a great problem, the galley ain't gone back yet ).............but I was starting to experiment with decanting into smaller (and squeezable) bottles.

- unfortunately I never got to decide how useful that was in practice before the galley got removed ........but my thinking was that a squeezable half litre bottle was aimable with only lifting the lid (and no naked flames ). The idea being that I could fill / refill a few half litre bottles at my conveniance, so whenever the stove ran out I could easily top up enough to carry on cooking - if not also for another day or 3...........obviously a small funnel was involved in the decanting process. and a bucket for any overspill.........I was still refining nozzle size and caps...........
I like the general idea and like the idea of using quart bottles since a full refill takes a liter which is just a tad more, or 1/2 liter bottles as you suggest. I'd still remove the canister from the stove to the sink for the same reason that I wouldn't use any heaver than air explosive gases; if it can hit the fan it will.

-Sven
Old 25-03-2011, 07:13   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
As someone said, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. The facts about BTU properties of the two fuels are not subjective. The habits of cooking certainly vary considerably...
The OP was asking for opinions so it certainly seem appropriate to offer them ?

What are the "facts" that you are questioning ?

-Sven
Old 25-03-2011, 07:31   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Sven,

By run away I meant that the oven became hot enough to singe the surrounding wood. Some of the wood had to be replaced.

Yes, it was the glass of the oven door that exploded when water from the hose hit it. The guy was using the hose because the surrounding wood was smoking. It was smoking before he used the hose and the glass exploded.

Origo was notified and took the stove back for examination. They admitted he had a defective unit and replaced it at no charge.

As to the pre-heat, I stand corrected. The alcohol stove on my boat needed a pre-heat. It was fed from a gallon pressurized tank located behind the settee.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 07:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
By run away I meant that the oven became hot enough to singe the surrounding wood. Some of the wood had to be replaced.
That simply will not happen if they are burning alcohol and have not somehow modified the oven, a stuck control certainly wouldn't do it. You can put wood up against the outside of the oven after it has been going full blast for hours and it will not get burned.

A "run-away" non-pressurized Origo oven just is not in the cards.

I'll write Origo with your story so they can correct me if I am in any way wrong.

-Sven