Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:24   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Your Favorite Margarita Recipe

Try this one sometime:

One can frozen Limeaid (Minute Made or equivalent)
Same can Tequila
Same can Modello Especial
Ice in Blender or
On the Rocks

I got the recipe from a bartender at a Mexican food place in Dallas.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25   #2

Re: Your Favorite Margarita Recipe

3 shots of tequila
2 shots of lime juice
1 shot of triple sec

Shake it up, splash it with orange juice, put it in a glass with salt on the rim.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44   #3

@Target, we're virtually next door to each other. You get out Miz'sippi way, get ahold of us. I agree with your recipe with a small change:

3 tequila
2 Rose's lime juice
1 triple sec

Don't bother with OJ since the Rose's is sweetened
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56   #4

Let's go back to the original:
1oz. Tequilla
1oz. Cointreau
sqeeze of one lime

Absolutely delicious and deadly
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wanna impress---use fresh fruits ....canned and bottled and frozen have aftertastes--in pair a dice ye has so much FRESH ye has to use it and has a much better result.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51   #6

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

2 parts fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 parts Triple Sec
3 parts tequila

Pour over ice. No salt, no sweetener. Tart and refreshing. Don't have too many if you're not certain of a quiet night in the anchorage.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
3 shots of tequila
2 shots of lime juice
1 shot of triple sec

Shake it up, splash it with orange juice, put it in a glass with salt on the rim.
+1

That's mine, too. Got it decades ago from some Mexican cookbook and it's been a hit at my parties ever since.

It must be said that this is a totally different drink than what is sold as "Margaritas" in bars -- a nasty kool-aid of Whiskey Sour mix with a dribble of tequila in it -- ick.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

try mango or other fruits in the mixture. you willnot be disappointed--make sure they are fresh.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:16   #9

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Here's the ORIGINAL Margarita recipe, which was first created in Rosarito Beach, outside of Tijuana, back in the 1930's:

Cut two Mexican limes (small, green ones, called "limones") in half. Rub the rim of a glass with the cut edge of the lime, then dip the rim in a plate of salt to "frost" it. Pour ice cubes into the glass and squeeze the juice from the two limes over the ice. Put one part tequila, one part orange liqueur (in Mexico it's Controy, but you can use any similar brand, including Curacao, which makes it a "Blue Wave Margarita"), and one-half to one full part (depending on personal taste) simple Bar syrup (sugar syrup). The first hint of this drink's allure is when you hold the glass to your lips and inhale the fresh lime aroma. And yes, this wasn't "blended" in those days, so it tasted more like a drink than a slushy.

Don't forget to toast: Salud, pesetas y amor, y tiempo para gozarlos (Health, wealth and love.... and time enough to enjoy them!),

My historical research was performed over many,many years, sampling the output of various bars in TJ, Rosarito Beach, La Mision, and Ensenada, in the state of Baja California Norte, Mexico. The bartenders apparently shared parentage because they all insisted the recipe came from their "grandfather". I chose Rosarito because it was the median distance between bars. In a pinch, you can dispense with the ice.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16   #10

Boat: OPB
Not the original recipe, but nowadays the defacto "real" margarita for tequila lovers. The original was intended to cover up the taste of cheap tequila, the purpose of the modern recipe is to showcase the flavor of the tequila, so whatever you do don't use cheap nasty tequila! Real tequila will say 100% agave on the label.

2 parts Tequila
2 parts fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part agave nectar
Ice

You can blend it, if you must, salting the glass is also not really recommended. Shaking is the preferred method of mixing. Shake vigorously for about a minute, you need some ice melt to dilute it otherwise it is a little strong.

Agave nectar is increasingly available at grocery stores as an alternative sweetener. It is much healthier than sugar, it has a lower glycemic index, which is good for diabetics, I guess. I have found the lighter the color the better it is for margaritas. You used to only find it at health food and gourmet stores, now I find it at major chains like Safeway and even at Costco! Surprisingly the local Mexican supermarket does not carry it.

Many people have strong opinions about the use of Mexican limes, which are smaller than the Persian limes, which are the default breed seen here in America. I cannot discern a significant difference in any of the lime varieties I have experimented with, other than "sweet" limes which are completely different, and have a flowery sweet citronella like flavor. I encourage you to experiment with different limes, I'm sure results will depend more upon what grows well where you are than the breed. I like to mix 1 sweet lime with every 6 Persian limes for a really nice flavor that keeps people guessing.

My one piece of advice regarding limes is to experiment with the degree to which you squeeze them. After I squeeze the limes, I put two "pre-squeezed" lime rinds in the squeezer and squeeze them again. This releases additional aromatic oils from the skin. These oils enhance the lime flavor, but too much can be bitter, and sometimes it makes me burp lime taste, so you really have to watch the balance. Getting it right takes your margarita to an awe inspiring level.

Since this recipe showcases the flavor of the tequila, you need a good quality tequila, or no matter what, your margarita will suck. There are 3 grades of real tequila plata (silver), reposado(rested), and anejo(aged). Here are basic recommendations for all 3 grades.

Silver- Avion. Big winner at 2012 SF international Spirits Competition

Sorry-but as far as I know the next two are only available in Mexico

Reposado- Herradura Antiguo. You may think you have seen this outside of Mexico, but TRUST ME it is not the same. The one you get in Mexico is better.

Anejo- Tapatio. Tapatio anejo kicks ass, and it's cheap too. Some snobs will say anejo is too good for mixing in cocktails, and should only be sipped straight. Blah blah blah, I can only imagine how much of a fit they would pitch over my Pappy Van Winkle 20 year Manhattan! In a cocktail that showcases rather than covers up the flavor of the liquor, it pays to use the very best.

Since the OP asked for my favorite recipe, I would have to choose Don Julio 1942 for the tequila in my absolute favorite margarita, which at $100 a bottle is just a tad extravagant, even for me.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:40   #11

Wish I were somewhere fresh limes (and green coconuts) were readily and cheaply available
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If any of yall ever get to Cozamel Mexico, theres a Takeela Factory, that makes a Margarita with two of there Espeical Takeelas and it's amazing !! don't have the bottles in front of me, but it sounds a little like the special stuff in a above post !! Connie says its the best she's ever had !! so of course I stocked up LOL just sayin it's good
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20   #13

Boat: Tartan 34C

Was gonna have a beer to fight off a 110 degree heat index. Ya'll have charted a new course for today. Thanks!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:46   #14

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

These are some great recipes. Think I will try them all...
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes