Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 17:26   #1

Boat: Morgan 384
Wise vs Mountain House foods

Does anyone have any experience with the Wise or mountain house brand of storage foods as a supplement to food used on a long cruise?
Which have better tasting foods?
WindRose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:31   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Wise vs Mountain House foods

Mountain House has less trans fat that Wise. But I think that dehydrated foods, while great for backpacking, don't make a lot of sense on a Morgan 384.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Mountain House has less trans fat that Wise. But I think that dehydrated foods, while great for backpacking, don't make a lot of sense on a Morgan 384.
+1

One of the joys of cruising is fresh local produce. For a really long passage, where the fresh stuff might run out, you don't need to resort to backpacking food -- the weight of cans is not going to make any difference in a sailboat, at least in a mono Or if you have a freezer, like we do, then you don't even really need to do cans, except for strategic reserves .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you are going to carry dehydrated food look at Natural High. They have less sodium than the others and still taste good.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:52   #5

We experimented with dehydrated foods one summer. It was easy to dehydrate vegetables, just use frozen they are blanched and buy a cheap dehydrator. We liked the flavor better than canned (lower is salt too). We also did some main dishes but they were harder to do. You will not believe the amount of space you will save. A single quart of dehydrated corn is a lot of corn. We estimated that a paper grocery sack full would last maybe 6 month for us two.. Note our vacuum sealed veggies did not last like purchased dehydrated. If buying I would not get bigger than quart cans...don't switch to this until you try it out slowly...also this increases your water usage...I use the following site for canned meat, butter, cheese, etc...

http://www.webring.org/hub?ring=basi...97q%3DI%5BP;go
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a good standby that we carry is dried soya"mince",available at most health stores.
also dried mixed veg,dried onions,dried mushrooms and instant mashed potatoes.

one of the beauties of a sailing vessel is not having to eat hiking food,and the ability to have a high standard of food,even without a fridge or freezer.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:16   #7

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I rather like Mountain House Pilot Bread Crackers, but that is about all I have had.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:33   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Drying food is not hard. All you need is a warm, dry, container with good air circulation. You can dry just about anything; vegies, fruits, sauces, most meats. It's really not difficult to do, and it's certainly a lot cheaper if you do it yourself. Plus, the quality is as high as you want to make it. I have never seen commercial stuff that comes close to the food we prepare, but to be fair, I have never experienced "Wise" or "Mountain House foods".
Old 11-12-2012, 19:37   #9

Mountain House has a good reputation for tasting good and keeping well. I've had a few of their meals kayaking and they were pretty decent. When we put our disaster kit together a few years ago we bought 2 months of stuff from Mountain House, it's good for 25 years, but we haven't cracked it open yet - hopefully won't have to. It hardly takes up any space.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:19   #10

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
I really like the dried fruits and veggies. Very easy to store and taste better than canned ( tinned ).
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 22:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Tried the Wise Beef Stroganoff, was not impressed. Suffered through one meal and tossed the rest. Whatever you decide on, try the different varieties before you stock up. We took dehydrated veggies with us. Used them in stews, etc. Don't think I'd want to make them up as a separate dish. Dehydrated Green Peppers were a hit as additions to almost anything. Dehydrated cheeses were also good to add to dishes.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 23:11   #12

Consider the moist food in pouches. Like the Indian Fare at Trader Joes. Wayyyyy better that dehydrated. You can carry water on a sailboat. You can make rice right? That's what I eat when tired on a long passage
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 13:13   #13
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Mountain House's idea of a "portion" is pretty skimpy in my experience. If you are burning a lot of energy, you'll get fewer servings out of a #10 can than they say.