Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 13:58   #31

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Re: Wine

Alecadi, have you tried box wines? Some are quite good and the prices are unbelievable.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:05   #32

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtallen2489 View Post
Since many of us sailors are true winos, it seems appropriate to have a thread on wine :-)
Mata'irea - I like those glasses - will order some. thanks for the tip.
jtallen - check out Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Goods. They often have them on clearance.
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:27   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Not necessarily, wines can be made out of any fruit or vegetable. Our lodger is currently making a banana and pineapple wine...

My rice wine, however, isn't really a wine... since it's base is a grain it's a beer really - but looks like wine, tastes like wine and gets you pissed like wine, so who really cares!
+1
Got a feeling this could end up like an anchor/gun thread.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:56   #34

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I personally prefer mead to most of the usual wines.
Old 23-05-2011, 15:09   #35

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight

Great thread!

I just remembered that our boat has stowage for rolled up charts under the cockpit coamings. We have a complete set of paper charts, of course, but with electronic charts, that space under the coamings just might become our new cellar...
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 15:14   #36

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We have no problems with wine onboard. We do have a bottle locker but it only holds a case. I usually buy four or five cases in Cherbourg (great excuse for a run across the Channel). We just keep the cases in the bilge and bring up bottles when needed. Wine bottles are incredibly tough and I've never broken one on board.

Like others, I don't believe in plastic crockery on board except maybe in the cockpit and in rough weather. We use glass, china and pottery just like at home and it seems that we break less of it on board than on land.

Just use it, enjoy, replace anything that breaks - no big deal.
When I first moved on board (9yrs Back) my siter arrived one day with all her old kitchen junk for me to have onbaord she was really upset when I told her to trash it. I am all for the home comforts you CANT drink good wine from plastic and you CANT eat good food from plastic.
I have a cellar that holds 12 cases ( if you cant hold enough Upgrade I say) and I dont care if I break a bit of china or a glass we need to set some standards here Cheers and more Cheers
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 15:19   #37

Boat: Grainger, Chincogan,41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post

To make wine:
you need grape (not any grape: edible grape is not good for wine), you need to have a good fermentation at the correct temperature. It takes month, and after you have to age it in good barrel..
You do all taht at home
or you mix some powder with water ?

Yeah I tried a pre mix set up for a start and it took 8 weeks before bottling. May try a wine from scratch. All was good at the start, tasted like a bad cast wine and when down hill from there.
Bartlettsrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
I can think of a thousand reasons not to use boxes....
And every one of them will boil down to nothing more than tradition. You want your wine in glass (probably with a natural cork), simply because that's how it has always been done and so it seems the "right" way to do it.

I prefer living in the 21st century, where new packaging technologies can make an excellent wine easier to transport and keep, less expensive, and more resistant to oxidation. You can keep your glass, and I will continue to enjoy my wine from a box (and I guarantee you that if you didn't SEE the box, you would never know that's where it came from).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlettsrise View Post
Yeah I tried a pre mix set up for a start...
When you say "pre mix" what do you mean? You can buy good grape juice, or liquid grape concentrate, in sealed tins made from quality wine grapes. This can be used to make excellent wines. I would not use any of the powders or thick syrups that are available. The yeast used is almost as important as the juice, and there are a variety of things that you can do during the fermentation to improve the quality of this kind of homemade wine.

And when I say "excellent wines" allow me to offer an example. I have a friend who is French. Like many French he believes (not without some justification) that all the very best wines in the world come from France. He has worked professionally in the past as a sommelier, and is certified by the International Wine Guild as a Wine Master. He is the kind of wine snob who is proud to be called a wine snob!

I had a particularly good batch of homemade Burgundy (and I capitalize that, because the juice I used was made exclusively of grapes from Burgundy) that had won a couple of competitions. I invited him over to try some. I had some of it in an unlabeled bottle, and--in a bit of subterfuge--I had put some in a bottle that previously held a good French Burgundy and still had its labels on. I offered him side by side samples from both bottles. He was impressed with how good my wine was, but still insisted that the "genuine" French Burgundy was better. When I told him of my trick he simply would not believe that I had fooled him. He insisted that I had to by lying, and that he could not be fooled in this way.

The mind is a powerful instrument. It makes associations and comes to conclusions in ways that we simply cannot fathom. People believe that homemade wine cannot be as good as wine from an established vintner just "because." Nothing you can do will make them think otherwise--even when it is clear that there is no difference--because the mind creates the difference. Same is true regarding wine from a bottle versus wine from a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. The plain fact is that the plastic bag is a better environment for preserving the qualities of the wine than a bottle with a cork in it. For some, though, the mind creates enough difference that the bottle is "better."

Each to their own, I guess. If you enjoy the experience of an expensive wine from a bottle with a real cork, more power to you. That's your choice. I will continue to partake of good wine (either purchased or my own) stored in modern containers that make it easier for me to keep, store, and enjoy when I want to.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:49   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
Alecadi, have you tried box wines? Some are quite good and the prices are unbelievable.
NEVER EVER!!
even if my life would be at stake....
even if I was dying of thirst ( oh my GOD...) NEVER!!

Not even for a million bucks (two I hesitate..)

N.E.V.E.R
Alec

PS: the Admiral is saying that there is no chance for me to die of thirst...
Old 24-05-2011, 06:50   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
And every one of them will boil down to nothing more than tradition. You want your wine in glass (probably with a natural cork), simply because that's how it has always been done and so it seems the "right" way to do it.

I prefer living in the 21st century, where new packaging technologies can make an excellent wine easier to transport and keep, less expensive, and more resistant to oxidation. You can keep your glass, and I will continue to enjoy my wine from a box (and I guarantee you that if you didn't SEE the box, you would never know that's where it came from).

That's not the point..........
Wine is alive and you should show respect...
Drink water or drink beer or Coke... (yeark)
NO BOX for wine
Old 24-05-2011, 06:51   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

So, what are some of the better box wine brands and varieties these days?

I think the last time I tried box wine was when I was in graduate school, over 40 years ago. I didn't really like it, but it was cheap, and we were poor!
Old 24-05-2011, 06:54   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I am all for the home comforts you CANT drink good wine from plastic and you CANT eat good food from plastic.
I have a cellar that holds 12 cases ( if you cant hold enough Upgrade I say) and I dont care if I break a bit of china or a glass we need to set some standards here Cheers and more Cheers

BRAVO!
There is some civilized people among all those Barbarians....
Bravo
A toast to you Jacko ! Cheers

Alec
Old 24-05-2011, 07:31   #44

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Box wine is not the worst thing one can drink. Buy the ones with the Bladders. The reds hold up ok however the whites have a short shelf life unless you can keep them cool.. Check the “Sell by” or ”Use By” dates when buying. We get about 2- 3 months Max for the whites when stored onboard.
It was a sad day when we poured 28 liters of Chardonay overboard.
We take the bladders out of the carton when storing. I like bottles better and they can be filled with seawater and dropped in deep water to become starter houses or seaglass. Plastic wine bladders, like all plastic is a pain to dispose of.
As we become more settled in our cruising routine we tend to buy more bottled wine due to the availability.. especially good reds. Another tip is to buy restaurant quality wine glasses as the glass is tempered and much more durable.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 07:40   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Check the “Sell by” or ”Use By” dates when buying. We get about 2- 3 months Max for the whites when stored onboard.
It was a sad day when we poured 28 liters of Chardonay overboard.
Just my point: I used to drink wine having stayed in its bottle for years , decades even....
So you see how bad are the boxes and plastic...

YEARK