Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 19:47   #1

Boat: Morgan 45 CC
Send a message via MSN to betachz Send a message via Yahoo to betachz
Wife's a Vegetarian - Any Good Veggie Storage Strategies ?

Hi all!

My wife and I are about a year out from moving aboard and wanted to get some thoughts on keeping veggies fresh and crisp in the humid and salty world of living aboard. Since my wife is a vegetarian, veg will be a primary source of food on our boat along with fish (which she does eat also).

Containers, strategies, veggies that keep longer than others, anything else you can think of would be helpful.

Thanks!
betachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:49   #2

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
This would be an interesting thread to watch for. even I am vegetarian- no meat and fishes.
Can you refrigerate the green vegetables for couple of days? Yes, I guess so. But what about if you are on a longer voyage?
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:52   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Wife's a vegetarian, veggie storage strategies?

Try home canning. It is not too hard at all to make all sorts of vegan type sauces for pasta and rice dishes.
Old 01-07-2011, 14:11   #4

Boat: Pearson 281

Sprouts are a good way to get some fresh veg. I use a lot of root veggies also... yams being my favorite. Roast them on the bbq in foil w butter. Can eat them straight from the foil or ???.
Rather pricey but maybe worth it on a long passage might look at freeze dried veg. Can contact Mountain House or one of the other producers and see what might be possible with quantity breaks. I know they used to sell #10 cans of things like peas but I doubt they could be re-packaged successfully... maybe someone else here has had experience with this.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 14:20   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

While we are not vegan but I am surprised how well veggies keep in our boat. Much longer than at home. I attribute this to the "Frost Free" cycle on the home unit. The Boat fridge is smaller and has much more concentrated thermal mass. The home unit uses a fan to pump cold air from the freezer into the big box where it dries out the fresh stuff. Our veggies keep weeks, not days like at home.

Our "Veggie " friends seem to do well with root veggies and dried staples. One can get local produce or imported fresh most places. It just cost a bit more.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:25   #6

Boat: Mason 43

Get a copy of "Sailing The Farm" by Ken Neumeyer. I used some of his ideas for sun drying fresh vegetables and using salt to preserve fresh vegetables in areas where they are expensive and tough to find.
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:37   #7

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFloats View Post
Get a copy of "Sailing The Farm" by Ken Neumeyer. I used some of his ideas for sun drying fresh vegetables and using salt to preserve fresh vegetables in areas where they are expensive and tough to find.
+1

I've had this book for years. I'm not sure if it's still in print. You may find a used copy on Amazon.

Also, brown rice, lentils etc, plenty sprouts, and throw in a handfull of tvp (textured vegetable protein) to almost any hot dish. Adds protein and simple.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 16:32   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We are almost vegetarians and have not had any difficulty obtaining a good supply of fruits and vegetables all around the world. In most cruising destinations, the indigenous people can't afford to eat red med. We eat what the locals eat, and we never run out of fruits and veggies.

Even in Sudan, we ate red delicious apples from Washington State that were for sale in the local market. They also had great local watermelons in Sudan.

Good veggies and fruits have been available everywhere we go.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 17:44   #9

Boat: Morgan 45 CC
Send a message via MSN to betachz Send a message via Yahoo to betachz

you guys are great! Keep'em coming. I'm gonna have Leigh check out that book suggested. Glad to know it's not a HUGE problem anyhow.
betachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 20:50   #10

Seeds link here

without question, a great resource!!!!

i grow all my own food at the moment. You can eat sprouts raw.

I've been a raw foodie for a year now. (lost 50 lbs, cholesterol went from 300 to 130 without meds, skin cleared up, etc. ) it has been the most amazing journey.

i intend to continue on the boat. you can (and should) sprout all your beans and lentils, and sprouts. I also grow wheatgrass and juice it daily along with other veggies.

i'm not necessarily anti-animal, i'm more anti-poison (hormones and antibioticsd, steroids, corn feed, farm raised mercury filled, cancer causing crap!)
gasaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 21:47   #11

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by betachz View Post
Hi all!

Since my wife is a vegetarian, veg will be a primary source of food on our boat along with fish (which she does eat also).
LOL
I am a vegetarian as well
Apart from Beef, which I also eat some of, and pork and chicken, I have some of that as well and lamb and duck, and I have a bit of fish as well

But I am a vegetarian
Old 01-07-2011, 23:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Found very few fresh veggies in the far out islands of the Bahamas, better in the Caribbean.

Winter squash, potatoes, garlic and onions, lots of onions. A good, hard onion will last a long time, even without refrigeration. When you run out of everything else fresh you can sauté a fresh onion to add to things like spaghetti sauce from a jar, dried beans or any other canned or dried vegetable you have.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30   #13

Re: Wife's a Vegetarian - Veggie Storage Strategies

We keep onions, potatoes, cabbage, red and green, and summer and winter squash, spaghetti squash in cargo nets. Tie them off under way so they don't swing and bruise. SharperImage sells lock n lock style containers that keep food fresher longer and some of them are big enoguh for veggies and have a grate onthe bottom to keep moisture off the peppers, broccoli, carrots and the like. Kept those for weeks, I also use canned corn and canned tomatoes, but no other canned veggies.

Dried mushrooms, beans and tomatoes are staples.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:37   #14

Boatman61 advises that u can grow sprouts too from a small flower pot. Nice idea.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Found very few fresh veggies in the far out islands of the Bahamas, better in the Caribbean.

Winter squash, potatoes, garlic and onions, lots of onions. A good, hard onion will last a long time, even without refrigeration. When you run out of everything else fresh you can sauté a fresh onion to add to things like spaghetti sauce from a jar, dried beans or any other canned or dried vegetable you have.
How is veg situation like in south pacific?

Tags
storage