Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 07:24   #31

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Foodsaver Professional II is the model.

You are truly a fountain of information. that is exactly what I was looking for.

Now, If I can find out of the element on the foodsaver is in fact replaceable, I will be all set.

I think the Uline hand sealer would be ideal for both the house and the boat so I may get two.

thanks again
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 15:18   #32

Boat: 1974 Ray Greene Rascal II
I have used the FoodSaver model that Walmart sold about 5 years ago. Several people have commented on the same problem I have seen... punctures from sharp objects! Even the bone from a steak will do it. I put a doubled-over paper towel on the bones of anything I vac pack. Other than that I have had no problems. I routinely pack cheese, chicken, pies, muffins and other things I can buy in bulk and then pack in smaller packages for use later. Fragile things can be packed but you have to stop the process when the vacuum gets to the point where it is damaging the item. Mine has a button to stop the vac and seal. I have heard that allowing the drip tray to get full will allow the liquid to get into the vac pump and ruin it. I haven't had that happen to me but my son has ruined one already. Cost of bags is high. I don't waste them on trivial things where a vac pack isn't necessary.