Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 05:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Where Can I Find Jerry Jugs for Water ?

That are shaped like this attachment

Instead of this...

Seems for gas and diesel they make both styles, but for water, everywhere I look all anyone seems to carry is the taller kind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j_can.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	20675  
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Why not just buy the yellow ones and then label them WATER
with indelible marker or something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
That are shaped like this attachment

Instead of this...

Seems for gas and diesel they make both styles, but for water, everywhere I look all anyone seems to carry is the taller kind.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
See Water Storage at REI.com
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:03   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Not a good idea relabeling color coded containers - the labeling disappears rapidly in the tropical sun and then you might end up adding 6 gallons of water to your diesel tank.
- - The taller "old" plastic containers are actually easier to store along your toe rail/lifelines than the shorter ones that are fatter.
- - An alternative is the collapsible water jugs sold in boat/hiking stores that hold 5 gallons and when empty fold down to a very flat profile just like a backpack. They can be stored below in a locker when not in use.
- - Making a canvas cover for all your "on-deck" storage containers is really good as the sun's UV really eats away at the plastic jugs and makes them brittle. One trick I was shown was to buy the quilted silver reflective auto windshield heat shields and then cut and sew them up as covers for the on-deck fuel tanks. They keep the sun and heat off the containers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	535.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	20679  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Not to mention, are the gas/diesel ones safe for drinking water?

I'm storing everything in lockers, so sun isn't an issue.

The short fat guys will probably fit better in the space I'm keeping them.

Thanks for the links!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:32   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
A lot of people prefer to store the emergency water supply in the 2ltr bottles. Yes they take up a bit more space, but are easier to store in odd spaces, and a leak in one does not jeapordise a sizeable portion of your emergency supply.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbot View Post
A lot of people prefer to store the emergency water supply in the 2ltr bottles. Yes they take up a bit more space, but are easier to store in odd spaces, and a leak in one does not jeapordise a sizeable portion of your emergency supply.
Did that in my last delivery as the water tanks and pumps were no good at the time..
On my own boat however I prefer the square 5litre ones.... when they get 'past it' its down to the supermarket and buy another 10... they 'stack' better..

As I dont drink water straight.. ever, worrying about filteration etc is not a concern... its all boiled..coffee/tea/soups etc.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The fuel containers are probably more durable and will not rot in the sun like some plastics.

To get around the sun fade problem, you could always install a metal tag that goes around the handle that is stamped fuel or water. Or stainless steel seizing wire, one wrap for fuel, two wraps for water.

It would be easy enough to determine what type of plastic a container is made of by calling the manufacturer. Plastics are pretty inert anyway.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Maybe this will help ...

These guys manufacture the jug you're looking for as well as a lot of other stuff. They list stores on this link: Scepter Consumer - Store Locator

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
long ago a friend gave water to another friend in cleaned out clorox bottles.
one evening i hear over vhf some weird choking noises and hoarse voice calling for help.
seems the friend who received these clorox bottle water jugs picked up a clorox bottle and drank a big healthy gulp of
CLOROX
so clorox mike got his name--for real, in 1998, and folks here decided to use regular water jugs for water. might be a good idea to d o the same. use water jugs for water. good luck finding the kind you like--i always find the wrong ones also----

i noticed thaat after 5 yrs, my water and diesel jugs dont keep any markings on them. in a salt water environment, those lil taggies remove themselves. go figger. and the jugs are still all good-- the blue ones, the red ones and the yellow ones. they last a loooong time-- i have seen over 10 yr durability even with hot sun.
those cutesie lil tags are not easily read in darkness in a storm in a hurry. dont do that, you WILL regret it. hopefully you wont regret it into the rocks--happens.

water in the diesel can be fixed..... might be costly but can be fixed. diesel in the guts of critters and humans isnt so much fun to fix. just use he propper colors so there is no confusion with crew, when that time comes.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:29   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
These guys manufacture the jug you're looking for as well as a lot of other stuff. They list stores on this link: Scepter Consumer - Store Locator
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. That who all my jugs are made by. Strangely, they don't even make it! Guess the 5 gallon kerosene one will do. At least it's blue, and I don't carry kerosene. Now if I can just find it in the US, since only their water jugs are sold here now, thanks to the EPA.
Old 01-11-2010, 15:37   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. That who all my jugs are made by. Strangely, they don't even make it! Guess the 5 gallon kerosene one will do. At least it's blue, and I don't carry kerosene. Now if I can just find it in the US, since only their water jugs are sold here now, thanks to the EPA.
dang i was gonna check to see if home depot has them , as the scepter ad said--- but i forgot to look-- many places to get jerry jugs here- wallys. target, car parts stores-- rv stores---many places.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:38   #13
cruiser

Scepter makes black ones for the military. Black ones keep all UV out, which lets the water keep forever, and never get swampy. Black plastic lasts a whole lot longer( I have some black poly which has been out in the sun since 1976 and is still as good as the day I put it there.)
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:35   #14

Boat: Newport 30 MK III
Moeller Marine Online - Jerry Cans

And my favorite -

Guy
guyfromiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:06   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I carried the Rubbermaid 6-gallon versions on my 8 year cruise and couldn't break or kill them. I carried 2 blue for water, 2 yellow for diesel, and 2 red for gas. I liked their heavy duty construction and while they were heavy, I carried/dragged/bounced/floated those containers over many a rough road and anchorage with no problems. I found the "Jerry can" style the easiest to store.

While you can carry water in most any container, I'd be leery of carrying gas or diesel in anything other than an approved container.