Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2012, 11:10   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
What Say You, Oz?

I'm fascinated by a recipe in an old cookbook that gives a recipe for an "Australian Style Cheeseburger". It's topped with sliced beet root, fried egg and pineapple. I don't recall seeing that while in Australia. Interesting combination. Is it nationwide, regional or not Australian at all?
Old 16-03-2012, 11:35   #2

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: What say you, Oz?

Hi Janet you say it is in an old cook book well it is an old idea. I can remember back in the 70,s when most hamberger "cafes" were run by Greek or Italians the burger you described was very in and great to eat. Now we have the US style burger thanks to Makkkkers and other fast food joints. I think they are trash ( on home style bun ) realy the bun is like wet paper I think we should get a push for the real Ozzie burger that is the one you described. At least we can do it here in FNQ --- might make one for lunch tommorow Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:13   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: What Say You, Oz?

An Aussie friend of mine runs "Hotel Kangaroo" here in the Rio Dulce. They make a killer "Famous Aussie Burger". In real life it looks better than the one pictured on their web site (they need to hire a better photographer) and is way good. Not sure how "authentic" it is, but is sure is good.

Hotel Kangaroo
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:28   #4

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

oh yes it is for real and seeing the pic and just the thought of one made my mouth water and to come to think of it as a Aussie who left 18yrs ago boy do i miss lightly battered whiting grillled , potato cakes and Dim sims fried or steamed and finally a nice grilled barramundi and some damper and an ice cold VB
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Maybe you could describe the "old fashioned" way of making an Aussie hamburger.

My memory is of a large flat white bun, split in two. The owner of the milk bar (sometimes Greek) would put the bun under the grill to toast. Then the beef pattie, thick slice of tinned pineapple and egg would go on top of the hotplate to cook.

The secret was in the timing. The bun had to come out, just toasted with a couple of good smears of butter. The pattie went on top with a splash of tomato sauce, followed by an optional slice of processed cheese (which then started to melt). A tinned beetroot slice went on top followed by the grilled tinned pineapple slice and the fried egg. A few smidgins of iceberg lettuce julienne made it all healthy.

It was then wrapped in a small piece of greaseproof paper and placed in a paper bag.

It had to be eaten right away as the juice from the sauce, pineapple and beetroot would disintegrate the toasted bun and then weaken the paper bag. Care needed to be taken as the greaseproof paper tended to blend in with the burger and did not improve the experience.

My mouth still waters at the thought.

A modern innovation was to use blue vein cheese instead of processed.

They were my staple diet as a young man. Probably why my cholesterol is so high now.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 12:48   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Sounds like the burgers I got down there in the 50s ! wow brought back mouth watering memories !! YUmmm
Old 16-03-2012, 12:54   #7

and thinking of mouthwatering Oh god i miss my mums lamingtons and a nice big boston bun full of cream
Old 16-03-2012, 13:00   #8

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Here it is folks.....'Big Bad' Boyd's monster burger battle

Just a bit bigger than we normally have

Actually it is pineapple that makes it great for me. Fast food stuff just does not compare.

Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 14:22   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We still get them around these parts. Usually included when ordered as a burger "with the lot" or "with the works" and would also include a slice of bacon and one or two other goodies depending on the store. The pineapple is always of the tinned variety which is probably a good thing as I don't know how well fresh would go here.

Which reminds me. Being an ex New South Welshman, I really miss pineapple donuts which, surprisingly, appear not to exist in Queensland. I have been searching fruitlessly, pardon the pun, for them up here for years.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 00:52   #10

Another thing i Miss is my Mums pavlova's
Old 17-03-2012, 01:18   #11

Boat: Van de stadt Vita. 30ft

Pineapple fritters, you can still get .Quite often not on the board and you do have to ask for them.

Which reminds me. Being an ex New South Welshman, I really miss pineapple donuts which, surprisingly, appear not to exist in Queensland. I have been searching fruitlessly, pardon the pun, for them up here for years.[/QUOTE]
PaulyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 01:50   #12

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Maybe you could describe the "old fashioned" way of making an Aussie hamburger.

My memory is of a large flat white bun, split in two. The owner of the milk bar (sometimes Greek) would put the bun under the grill to toast. Then the beef pattie, thick slice of tinned pineapple and egg would go on top of the hotplate to cook.

The secret was in the timing. The bun had to come out, just toasted with a couple of good smears of butter. The pattie went on top with a splash of tomato sauce, followed by an optional slice of processed cheese (which then started to melt). A tinned beetroot slice went on top followed by the grilled tinned pineapple slice and the fried egg. A few smidgins of iceberg lettuce julienne made it all healthy.

It was then wrapped in a small piece of greaseproof paper and placed in a paper bag.

It had to be eaten right away as the juice from the sauce, pineapple and beetroot would disintegrate the toasted bun and then weaken the paper bag. Care needed to be taken as the greaseproof paper tended to blend in with the burger and did not improve the experience.

My mouth still waters at the thought.

A modern innovation was to use blue vein cheese instead of processed.

They were my staple diet as a young man. Probably why my cholesterol is so high now.
Add a slice of tomato and sometimes fried onion and you have got it right!

You are correct calling them a 'Hamburger' a 'Cheeseburger' is same but with cheese.

Hungry Jacks come close to being right, WHO THE HELL LIKES GHERKINS????
every aussie throws them in the bin, fair dinkum!!!!
Old 17-03-2012, 01:51   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
We still get them around these parts. Usually included when ordered as a burger "with the lot" or "with the works" and would also include a slice of bacon and one or two other goodies depending on the store. The pineapple is always of the tinned variety which is probably a good thing as I don't know how well fresh would go here.

Which reminds me. Being an ex New South Welshman, I really miss pineapple donuts which, surprisingly, appear not to exist in Queensland. I have been searching fruitlessly, pardon the pun, for them up here for years.
Been a Qlder all my 58 yrs never heard of pineapple donuts, give up that search lol.....
Old 17-03-2012, 01:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Another thing i Miss is my Mums pavlova's
Yep another great New Zealand Aussie dish.....

Seriously Janet you could go to a dozen lunch bars and get a dozen different variations of the traditional or "Real" Aussie burger, but all seem to have the one common ingredient and that's Beetroot, which i can't stand, so that is an automatic "hold the Beetroot" when i order....

No mackas for this boy, lunch bar burgers are where it's at.......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 02:40   #15

Boat: Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Yep another great New Zealand Aussie dish.....

Seriously Janet you could go to a dozen lunch bars and get a dozen different variations of the traditional or "Real" Aussie burger, but all seem to have the one common ingredient and that's Beetroot, which i can't stand, so that is an automatic "hold the Beetroot" when i order....

No mackas for this boy, lunch bar burgers are where it's at.......
Sorry Island, Gotta disagree, The beetroot is the icing on the cake....so to speak. Best ever burger was at Corowa, 2 layers of beetroot.