Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 12:55   #46
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: What is Your Favorite Dish to Make at Anchor?

Here's a dessert recipe that we made every now and then on the boat...

Ripe Plantains Flambe

2 ripe plantains, peeled and sliced lengthwise
4 pats butter
4 Tbs brown sugar (Demerara from Guyana is best)
juice of 1 lime
amber rum
grated fresh nutmeg

The easiest way to peel a plantain is to grasp the blade of a paring knife between your thumb and forefinger so that about 1/8" of the tip is exposed. Run the tip of the blade down the "ribs" of the plantains (where the skin is ridged from tip to tip), cutting through the skin but not into the fruit. Pull off the peel and slice the plantains into 3/8" pieces, lengthwise.

Heat a skillet on medium. Melt the butter. When the foaming subsides, sprinkle the brown sugar in the pan and stir until the sugar begins to melt. Add the plantain strips and cook, turning once, being careful not to break them. When the plantains are soft but not mushy, squeeze the lime over them. Splash some rum in the pan and flambe the mixture.

Serve it up with some grated fresh nutmeg on top. Add vanilla ice cream for a really decadent treat.
Old 25-05-2012, 15:55   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hud--i love your plantain recipe--those are wsooo cheap here---
unfortunately i am going whole hog into the caldo de pollo mix-- chicken broth -- for my asthma and flu condition as a troical storm, err, hurrycame , is trying to kill us..LOL

dont have to pay much for mr toads wild ride here--is part of living in pair a dice...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 16:04   #48
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The NHC thinks Bud will bounce off the shore and head back to the west. Hope so. Stay safe, Zee.
Old 25-05-2012, 16:06   #49

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Hud, also works with ordinary bananas and as an alternative to rum a good brandy can be used. We made this a regular in our ski club in Australia. And a small anecdotal story....one night they were particularly rich....the girlfriend of one of our group used his expensive Armagnac. He was furious but we all enjoyed her cooking.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 16:08   #50
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hoo! Armagnac is wasted on this one! Best sipped in a snifter with a good cigar after dessert!
Old 25-05-2012, 16:11   #51

lol--bananas, plantains-- pair a dice foods--i love it here!!! we have platanos, mangos, cocos, papyas, gooood fooods..
Old 08-10-2012, 14:38   #52

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Just made this tonight. Never had a recipe, just put in stuff I thought would work. If you like Rice and Chicken this is the bomb!

Cumin Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
6 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 tablespoons good olive oil
1 cup jasmine rice
1 ¾ cups water
Paprika (as required)
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 bunch white onions (chives)
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pepper/salt to taste

In hot skillet that has a cover (big enough to hold the chicken and three cups of cooked rice), heat the olive oil. Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent. While the onions are cooking drench chicken in paprika as you would in flour. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Add water then rice and mix until the rice is evenly distributed. Add cumin and cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes without uncovering. After 10 minutes throw white onions (sliced) on top, do not mix, recover. Remove from heat, check for salt and pepper, mix and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve.

Variations:
1. Add some sliced carrots after the chicken.
Old 24-10-2012, 00:11   #53
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
AH ok so you are looking for actual recipes.....I keep stacks of my favourites in my iPad. Here is a yummy one. Sticking with fish tho as we can eat it 7 days a week without getting tired of it.

Roasted monkfish with black olive sauce and lemon mash.

Ingredients

sea salt
zest of 2 lemons, plus a little juice
a sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
4 x 200g/7oz monkfish fillets - or any firm white fish
olive oil
2 bunches of rocket, washed and drained

FOR THE OLIVE SAUcE
2 large handfuls of good black olives, stoned and very roughly chopped
½ a fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
a small handful of fresh herbs (basil, marjoram and parsley), finely chopped
1 celery heart, yellow leaves chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground black pepper
a couple of glugs of extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar

FOR THE LEMON MASH:
1kg/2lb 3oz floury potatoes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
milk
juice of 1 lemon

Instructions
Monkfish is a lovely meaty fish to cook. However, it does contain a lot of milky juices. This can sometimes be a pain because they tend to come out during cooking, so instead of roasting, grilling or frying, you end up almost boiling the fish in its own juices. So what I tend to do to stop this is season the fish with salt about an hour before cooking. This draws out any excess moisture – then I just pat it dry and get cooking. If you want to grill your monkfish, ask your fishmonger to butterfly the fillets for you.
In a pestle and mortar or Flavour Shaker, smash up 2 tablespoons of salt with the lemon zest and rosemary and rub this all over the fish fillets. Put the fillets in a dish in the fridge and let them sit there for an hour.

Now make your black olive sauce by mixing all the ingredients except the vinegar together. You want the sauce to have the consistency of a coarse salsa. Then carefully balance the flavours with the vinegar to taste.

If you’re roasting your monkfish, preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7 just before the fish comes out of the fridge. Pat the fish dry with some kitchen paper and then pat it with a little olive oil.

Peel and halve your potatoes. Put them into a pot of salted, boiling water and cook until tender. Then drain and mash up with 6 tablespoons of olive oil and a good swig of milk. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. If you want to get your mash really smooth and creamy you can use a spatula to push the potato through a sieve once or twice. It doesn’t make it taste any better but it will make it silky smooth, shiny and lovely. Just depends if you can be bothered, really. If it needs thinning with a little extra milk, feel free.

To roast the monkfish, heat a large ovenproof frying pan, add a splash of olive oil and fry the fillets in the pan for 2 minutes. Then turn them over and put the pan in your preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.

To grill, place the the butterflied fillets on a hot griddle pan and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness. Whichever way you cook it serve the fish and the juices with a good dollop of the mashed potato, the black olive sauce and a little rocket dressed with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.

Really, really good.
That looks really good
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 00:44   #54

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

call dominos. have pizza delivered LOL

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 02:50   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Home made pizza

Makes 2

Base:
around 450 ml slightly warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 sachet dry yeast
4 cups flour

Tomato sauce for base:
100 g tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp dry rosemary
Approx 2 tbl water

Topping:
Anything you feel like (best with cheese, but even this is not essential if you have run out)

Mix water, sugar and yeast and let stand until foaming (5-10 min). This is only to make sure the yeast is not a dud lot (saves disappointment later).
Sift flour, add yeast mixture and stir until a ball forms (add a little more water if necessary, should be very slightly sticky).
Knead 2-10 minutes depending on how enthusiastic you are. If you knead quickly, the surface does not have to be floured, so it saves a lot of mess.
Return dough to the bowl, cover and leave to rise until it has a least doubled in size. In 30+ degree weather it can just stand anywhere, in winter I put a hot water bottle on top of the plate covering the dough (not underneath as it is too hot), and wrap it in something to help keep it warm.

Meanwhile make up the tomato base. Finely chop the garlic and herbs together, mix with tomato paste and enough water to make it a good spreading consistency.

When dough has risen oil 2 flat trays (I use non stick baking paper as well as it minimises the clean up). Divide dough in two, drop on tray and with oiled hands pat out the dough to fill the tray. Top with tomato sauce and leave 5-10 minutes while preparing topping. It starts to smell good at this stage!

Don't put too much topping on as the dough does not bake well.

Bake in a hot oven about 20 minutes, then repeat with second one.

Infinitely superior to Dominos

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 03:33   #56

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I agree Lassie,

I usually make this italian sauce by the barrel and freeze it (can also be vacuum-packed.

Lots of chopped onions
Lots of chopped mushrooms

Sautee above in olive oil until the mushrooms have finished giving off water and are beginning to turn brown.

Toss in 4-5 cans of chopped tomatoes, and 1 can of tomato puree.

CRush and put in 4-5 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon Oregano (or a little more if you like oregano - you can substitute Basil)
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
Salt & pepper

Let all the above stand and simmer for at least 4 hours (the more the better) until it is thick.

I use it for spaghetti sauce, pizza, lasagna, manicotti or whatever. If you have some already made, you can make a stellar dinner in just a few minutes. Make you own pasta

a pile of durum flour + bunch of egg yolks. Mix well by hand. Put through pasta machine to get spaghetti or fettucini.

Serve with above sauce.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 07:31   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I agree Lassie,

I usually make this italian sauce by the barrel and freeze it (can also be vacuum-packed.
Sounds delicious! The 4 hrs of cooking (always a concern on board) can be reduced by using a pressure cooker and turning it off immediately after it comes to pressure, then leaving it an hour before repeating the process twice more (a fantasic method of making the best chicken stock I have ever made, with minimal use of gas and no steam). I have no vacuum sealer on board, but find if I bring the pot to a rapid boil and ladle the contents into 750ml glass jars (lots of purchases come in these) and immediately screw on the lid, the contents last easily for weeks, maybe longer. Will try out your recipe with mushrooms, mouth watering reading about it as we have just come into an new anchorage after a 30 nm sail and as usual after a sail I am STARVING! A mediterranean tart (my recipe and a very popular one) is in the oven as we are having pre dinner drinks .

PS Would love to try making pasta on board, did this back home! High durum wheat flour is readily available in Greece. You have inspired me

Old 24-10-2012, 07:54   #58

sometimes i spend a lot of time cooking--but usually i send as little time heating inside boat as possible. is a lot harder to cool off the interior than it is to feed souls easily and cook fast home made foods in your boat.
you folks new to hotville will find your pressure cookers in use only in winter here.
when i anchor after a longer passage(more than 2 days) i DO NOT want to cook. easy cold foods are best now--if i catch fishie i will cook or fix that--easy and simple for just arriving--tuna sammishes, egg dishes, mebbe drag out bbq for a fishie, if fishie is a good one....otherwise--anchor check and watch for 2 hours , unless longer is warranted...and go to eat someone else's cooking(my absolute favorite).......

is truly easy task planning meals up there in coldville for when ye arrive in hotville, the hard thing is actually effecting your plans when you arrive to find little no way to cool off interior.
bring a lot of cold food stuffs.
plan on no cook meals as often as possible.
Old 24-10-2012, 08:12   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you folks new to hotville will find your pressure cookers in use only in winter here.
Yes, odd how temperature dictates food choices, this was a minor concern back home with air conditioning. My pressure cooker has only made an appearance again now that the temperature has started to drop here in the Med.

Old 24-10-2012, 10:12   #60

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

My mac and cheese

2 boxes Kraft mac and cheese - cook it like it says on the box. You can heat the water (covered pan) on your grill if you are worried about heating up the cabin.

Fried Spam (yup, I said it), slice it into 1/4" strips (that's 7 mms to you people using that new fangled system), and cook until edges curl (notice how that sounds a lot like hurl) and is golden brown, don't worry, if it turns black it is still edible, and you won't give a cr@p at midnight when you return back onboard drunk and hungry (and that is where the hurl part comes in). If you are worried about heating up your cabin, it too can be cooked on your grill, just slide your pan with water for the mac and cheese over to the side, be careful not to knock the pan into the water.

You want to spice it up? Toss in a can of hot ro-tel and some sliced jalepenos in. (not recommended for those with the midnight munchies, do the math )

Don't like Spam? (tough), ok, substitute in chorizo. Anything else and you are over thinking this meal.

Mix the mac and cheese and Spam with ro-tel in pan, heat in oven at 350 F (175 C and we already discussed this) until the cheese turns golden brown, or if you are hungry, everything is already cooked, so why bother.

Combine with a nice garden salad for added color after midnight.

Enjoy
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor