Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2006, 12:26   #1

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
What is your best provisioning tip?

Y'all must have some great tips. Here are a few provisioning tips we have gotten from other cruisers:

-Omaha Steaks frozen steaks and meats (from a boat with $$)
-Don't freeze bone - takes up too much room
-Buy a Foodsaver vaccuum bagger and use it
-Remove packaging and repack in ziplocks. Less cardboard

...you get the idea.

I am fairly new to this forum, so hope this subject hasn't been beat to death.

Looking forward to some interesting responses!

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 19:08   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Hi Entlie,

My best suggestion - besides getting a pressure cooker and learning how to use it - is to avoid overprovisioning. Unless you plan to spend months in a desolate area like the Jumentos, there is food available everywhere. I try to bring some favorites along as special treats, but when I run out, that's it. Learning to eat like the locals is both fun and educational, not to mention cost-effective.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 19:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Don't over look freeze dried food. I did a lot of backpacking over 40 years where you carry it. Sealed freeze dried keeps well for about a year if you use a food saver. About 3 months if you don't.

It's about learning how to cook all over. The freeze dried food works well with meals you brring to a boil for 3 minutes then turn off the heat. We also worried about saving white gas fuel as we carried that too. It's a great way to do rice or pasta with veggies and canned meat. You can pack a WHOLE lot of stuff in a tiny boat.

The best part is it isn't expensive and it can be prepared when it really is nasty out there. Always good to have bad weather food aboard and this work well.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 08:46   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
This is from Experince. DO NOT belive all of the experts on provisioning. Determine where you want to go and then find people that have been there.

We found before we went cruising and read all of the experts stuff and provisioned accordingly. We ended up buying more than we we needed immediately (and for safety). We found people eat and use the bathroom all over the world and most of the basic staples can be found, sometimes even cheaper than the USA.

If you are cruising in the Bahamas yes stock up, it is expensive there and some stuff scarce. In the southern Caribe, we had no trouble finding reasonably priced food, variety, toliet paper...and on Dominica the fresh veggies were cheaper than the USA.

My recommendation. If you must have Skippy chunky peanut butter, stock that up because that is tough to find in the Caribe. But if any good peanut butter will do then try the local stuff.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 13:30   #5
Scurvy Dog

Instant brown rice from health food outlets cooks in about 10 minutes, tastes better than white rice.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 14:08   #6

Boat: Currently Boatless
I just got some of the vacuum bags (~2ftx3ft) for storage - I can put a complete double set of bedding (sheets, duvet, 2 pillows) in one bag andsuck it down to smaller than a pillow - keeps spare bedding fresh and dry and uses much less space. I have a small 110v wet/dry vacuum that I keep on board.
You can use this for for compact storage of clothing, wet gear etc or anything that is moisture sensitive (i.e. tools, spare parts). Paid about 14.00 for 2 bags - there are a whole bunch of different sizes you can get.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 18:30   #7

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
werlings canned meats

I really like the convenience of their products. But only on long passages.
beef,pork, chicken,turkey.
great stuff.
fair winds
eric
Old 22-07-2006, 06:37   #8

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Thanks for the interesting messages. We have used Weirlings canned meats and they are good. We use lots of Sam's Club canned chicken - great for chicken salad, a staple on Sunspot Baby, Chicken tacos, chicken pot pie, etc.

Buy lots of Trick-Or-Treat candy when it is on sale the day after Halloween. We store it in a plastic tub, and it is a nice treat for night watches, and small pieces, so you don't have to feel too guilty. Visitors are always thrilled when they see the Halloween candy.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 11:33   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
if you dont have a freezer, invest in a vacuum pack machine. Meat will last a lot longer and it contains any mess.

The large vacuum bags that need a hoover to extract the air are great for clothes and spare bedding - minimises stowage and keeps it dry.

Store some special treats /favourite foods for those special moments (after a big storm etc)

Invest in a good pressure cooker.
Old 08-08-2006, 17:14   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Pressure cooker is a must! I have a recipe for pressure cooker bread that actually works. The vacuum pack thing sounds like a great idea. It would have been nice to have something dry after a rainy passage!
Old 08-08-2006, 20:48   #11

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Buy wine in a box

For over 25 years I have been buying wine in a box. Now there are one liter boxes as well as 5 Liter. The wine lasts a long time because no air gets introduced into th bag as you use it, unlike bottles.

I save the empty bladders. Empty they take almost no space. Blow them up and use them to keep various things in lockers from rattling around...great air bags! The two (or three) different sizes work for different spaces and you don't have to blow them up all of the way...for critical spaces I blow them up in place to really keep something critical from moving around and breaking or making noise.

If you don't want to take the time you really don't have to rinse them after using them as long as you get all of the wine out possible.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 20:58   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I had a box of wine that I bought at the duty free shop in Tonga and I have to agree that they are fabulous! The shape hangs well on a counter during passages. Never thought of using the bladders for air bags but assure you that I will from now on.
Old 08-08-2006, 21:49   #13

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Beef Jerky! road trip or boat trip we seem to always eat however much we bring, its filling, easy and wont go bad. We also always stock a lot of the "power bar" type bars, actually got a box of the slimfast bars onboard right now.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:20   #14

For long term provisioning. Wax cans to protect from rusting. Store glass in the plastic bags newspapers are delivered in. Definitely cruise with a pressure cooker...it can also be used as standard pot, pressure cooker or a dutch oven to bake in.

Thoughts to ponder on freeze dried...Hydrating can be a hassle in both storage and hydrating time. Pots of food sit around the galley hydrating all the time and get in the way. You will have to carry a LOT more water if using freeze dried. Canned foods already have the water, have better selections and no hydrating required. After 6 months of cruising with freeze dried we ditched the remaining 6 months supply and replaced it with canned foods.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:26   #15

Boat: 36 gulfstar
The large vacuum storage bags work great but watch out if you have a pet on board. We left a bag out on the bunk for a few days before stowing it and the cat decided to see what it tasted like and put a few teeth holes into it. So much for ten bucks. We now put them away as soon as we are done filling and vacuuming them.

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, provisioning