Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2006, 21:48   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

- Get enough Thermos's for the crew +1 spare. Make them small enough that you can actually clean them in the galley sink; the big ones are a pain in the rear.

- I love instant oatmeal; I can eat it anytime, all the time. If you have an easy / cheap / healthy food like that for yourself, stock up.

- Save some power bars / cliff bars for emergencies when it's not safe to be in the galley.

- Keep a lid on your food when heating it. It really cuts down on your fuel use.

- Plumb a foot pump into the galley sink that delivers sea water. You can use as much as you like, and then just rinse with fresh (and a different sponge or just your hand).

- Get fresh foods whenever possible. The sodium and boring factor of canned / instant stuff gets old quick.

Old 07-12-2006, 23:21   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill
Speaking of bbq...On our first trip to the islands we carried a portable grill for cooking on the beach. Later, we learned all that was necessary was the top wire mesh part of the grill. We gathered rocks to support the grill top, dug a shallow pit and used driftwood for the fire. Small whole snapper laid on the grill, gutted but with scales and head on, cooked beautifully. When cooked that way the skin/scales get hard and make it easy to pull meat out. After cooking, we covered the pit and make the beach look natural again. We cooked this way several times a week and it added a lot of pleasure our cruises. A grill top is standard equipment for us.
Just make sure you use water to put the fire out guy's or better still build it below high water mark.

There has been a few people over here, kids included if it makes any difference, that have sunk through the sand to find a blazing bed of coals underfoot.

Ouch

Dave

Old 08-12-2006, 00:17   #33
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobola
Bring lots of honey.!
and plenty of money
wrapped up in a five pound note.

sorry, couldn't resist.

btw - someone mentioned cardboard. That is one big no no. Cockroaches , particularly those little buggers, love nothing better and you'll soon have a few unwanted shipmates.

andrew
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 10:33   #34

Military provision

I'm in the military and think that Meals ready to eat (mre) would be great. They're a little pricey, but I've been eating them for years and they actually have some pretty tasty food with heater packs to make the food piping hot. All the MREs have a main meal, a pack of rice/beans etc, with some crackers and p-butter or cheese, cake, candy. They stay good for years.
Old 31-03-2007, 15:08   #35

Boat: Voyage Norseman 430
Pressure Cooker

A lot of you talked about pressure cookers.

I've owned a pressure cooker, but never used it because I thought they were dangerous. Are they still or have they gotten better.

What are the benefits of using one.

Thanks

Debi

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
toewsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 15:44   #36

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Modern pressure cookers (with spring valves rather than the old rockers) have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. I am sure I don't use mine as much as I could, but it is certainly a boat-friendly appliance. I would recommend a 6 qt. stainless steel, as well as a good pressure cooker cookbook like one of those from Lorna Sass. A stainless steel ressure cooker will cook quickly, won't rust, and allows you to provision with things like dried beans that take up far less weight and space than the canned versions. I cook roasts, corned beef, stew, and more with mine. You can also do brown rice, which we prefer, in substantially less time than it takes in a regular pot. Of course, it also doubles as a regular stock pot so you need one less pot on board.

In other words, there's nothing not to like (and I used to write for a living!)
Old 31-03-2007, 18:08   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got a high-end new one with a spring valve and an old one with the rocker weight, and I might even call the old one safer because the spring mechanism can clog/leak, while the old one has a simple rubber burst plug that will pop out if the pressure builds up too high.

Debbi/Mike- Remember that gas stoves and hot water heaters routinely blow up in homes. Several gas stations have explosions or fires every year, usually from the cigarette smokers who also buy & light cigarettes while they are fueling. Pressure cookers? Have been pretty safe for 50 years now, the scare is just taking time to wear away.

Read the manual, and if you don't have one call the maker, who can probably still get one to you. Nothing to be afraid of--but it is a very different way to cook, almost like cooking by remote control because the food gets bolted in and you can't see or check anything until the clock says it ought to be done. It might be done, or not done, or cooked down to porridge if you didn't follow a recipe.<G> But it almost certainly won't explode, unless you have one of those vintage 1910 pressure cookers designed for CANNING more than for cooking.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Everything you need to know about pressure cooking is right here - hundreds of pressure cooker recipes, information, instructions, in depth articles and How-To directions for beginners and experienced users.
Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Recipes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 16:45   #39

Boat: Kalic 40 - Allure
would love a recipe for pressure cooker bread. am leaving in July and would like to practice making b4 leaving.

cruiseallure
Old 01-04-2007, 17:47   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AFAIK "pressure cooker bread" is really just using the pressure cooker as a dutch oven. Traditionally you bank coals all around a Dutch oven, but for many folks it is just "baking" in a heavy pot instead of a stove oven, the heavy walls help bring heat all the way around the contents.
Old 01-04-2007, 20:58   #41

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Rice goes with anything and a good staple, carry a 20 pound berlap sack of it.
Old 09-04-2007, 13:57   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
just to repeat, everyone, everywhere buys food. Groceries in the rio dulce cost $30 for a week for two people. A good tip that we had is to bring unusual things that are special treats for mutual happy hours. When everyone else is bringing goldfish crackers, it's nice to have something special to share.
Old 17-04-2007, 10:25   #43

Box wine?

I recently tasted a wine from a box called Vella (Cab. Sauv.) and found it very nearly undrinkable. What are some good brands of Merlot and Cab?
Old 22-04-2007, 02:00   #44

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
Whats the deal with pressure cookers? Is it because they're faster and so use less energy or what?
Old 22-04-2007, 02:39   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Pressure Cooking is faster, uses less energy, heats the galley less, and is more nutritious.
Because food cooks up to 70% faster in a pressure cooker, and the fact that food is cooked in less liquid that gets boiled away, more vitamins and minerals are retained than with conventional cooking methods (vitamins such as the "B's" and C" are water soluble - antioxidant compounds and vitamin “A” are sensitive to heat, etc).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, provisioning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: