Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 18:21   #211

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I have spent several years in Greece, predominantly anchored off small underpopulated islands that have escaped tourism. [snippity snip] ...

Staying on topic , none of the 'old' diet required the use of any refrigeration. As cruisers we could benefit taking a 'leaf out of their book' when it comes to this, as well as adopting the Greek philosophy that happiness is very simple and easily within reach. It just needs "a glass of wine and the sound of the sea" .
Thank you for the great info about modern Greek Island Diet! It is nice to hear that some people still live that way. Your post was very thorough in describing all the traditional foods. (of which I learned tomato only became traditional since 1800s hahaha). And I couldn't agree more that a simple life and a simple natural diet are good for health and happiness };>

Cheers,
NatKat
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:51   #212
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I'm still really intrigued by the idea of dried food (food I can purchase; I really don't have time to start drying my food). But the companies that do this seem to be for "Dooms Day Preppers," and the quantities they sell are huge. In small amounts I don't find as much. I hope to be cruising more in the future and would love to have a collection of these veggies and other things to choose from, and whip up real variety in what we eat.

Does anyone have a source they have used for small quantities of food? ONE can of dried peas, ONE can of dried onions, etc. I'd probably buy two or even three of the onions as I would put them in chocolate cake on a bet (love onions) ... One place only had four vegetables. Small quantities, but only 4 veggies to choose from.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 19:27   #213

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Says the man from Mac'D, KFC, Tacobell and Grits n Greens land...
Only American recipe I heard of is Southern fried chicken... the rest are rip offs from other lands...
Now listen 'ere - grits are good. The trouble is that most don't have the patience to cook them right. You need 30 mins minimum on low heat plus some kind of add on to spark them up a bit. Plain grits are a little dull but no worse than plain mash. I had some for lunch today with peas and onion and a little Reggiano grated over the top. YUM !

I have not eaten any chain burgers, tacos, chicken in so long I couldn't tell you . . . . . more than 10 years.

If you ever make it to SF at the same time as me I'll take you down to the Mission for some seriously tasty tacos. Remember the taco golden rule, if it contains lettuce or cheese or goes crunch when you bite, it isn't a taco.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 22:06   #214

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Does anyone have a source they have used for small quantities of food? ONE can of dried peas, ONE can of dried onions, etc. I'd probably buy two or even three of the onions as I would put them in chocolate cake on a bet (love onions) ... One place only had four vegetables. Small quantities, but only 4 veggies to choose from.
http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/home.asp

Totally awesome stuff. Hard to keep dry once you open the package though, the stuff is so dry it sucks moisture out of the air and gets soggy and gross easily. I save desiccant packs and toss em in. Works pretty good. Everything is freeze dried, so it's crunchy and not shriveled.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 22:19   #215

Boat: OPB
Make sure you go to the "all products" view for some reason carrots and roasted garlic don't show up when you look at the veggies page. They have tomatoes, peas, corn, carrots, and garlic. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if this is the place you said only had four kinds.....
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:11   #216
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Make sure you go to the "all products" view for some reason carrots and roasted garlic don't show up when you look at the veggies page. They have tomatoes, peas, corn, carrots, and garlic. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if this is the place you said only had four kinds.....

Probably is. I don't count garlic as a vegetable.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:43   #217

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
Off topic tomato history
Yes you are correct. Tomatoes only arrived in Greece in 1815. Although possibly there were some small yellow varieties native to Med region. So my ancestors prior to 1815 ate zucchini, eggplant, and okra. Thankyou for learning something new! Meanwhile ... Great thread about sundried tomatoes in olive oil. YUM
To the fellow who loves GMO supermarket tomatoes ... Have you actually TASTED those things? Really? I find they taste like cardboard. But i suppose also you could dry them, can them, or otherwise keep them with no reefer
Cheers
I don't know what you are talking about. There are currently no GMO tomatoes on sale in any store anywhere.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:47   #218

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post

Hmm. On what basis are you saying all this? Your comments fly in the face of commonly accepted science.
I'm saying this on the basis of the fact that in the end we all die.

And that natural isn't automatically good is commonly accepted science. Just ask a scientist.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 13:33   #219

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. There are currently no GMO tomatoes on sale in any store anywhere.
He probably means the cheap pink ones that have no taste.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 15:42   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
Off topic tomato history
Yes you are correct. Tomatoes only arrived in Greece in 1815. Although possibly there were some small yellow varieties native to Med region. So my ancestors prior to 1815 ate zucchini, eggplant, and okra. Thankyou for learning something new! Meanwhile ... Great thread about sundried tomatoes in olive oil. YUM
To the fellow who loves GMO supermarket tomatoes ... Have you actually TASTED those things? Really? I find they taste like cardboard. But i suppose also you could dry them, can them, or otherwise keep them with no reefer
Cheers
I love tomato juice in my beer. But for a couple years now it seems I get a fishy after taste... so quit using it. Recently I tried organic tomato juice and it doesnt! Is it possible the fishy taste is due to the Genetically Modified tomatoes...? I know they did that with some kind of Fish gene of all things.... I didnt even think of this until after I quit using it. (Campbells juice) seems to be the only game in town in the supermarket. unless you go genetic..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 15:46   #221
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I love tomato juice in my beer.
OMG. kill it with fire OMG
Old 12-08-2013, 15:46   #222

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Really? GM stands for genetically modified, correct? Genetic modification usually means selecting breeds for consistent size, colour and usability/saleability. Harvestability only came about after machines.

You do know tomatoes are not naturally red, right? Carrots are not orange naturally? House of Orange and all that striking a bell?

GM doesn't mean it was done in the 20th-21st century.

We've been modifying plants since we learned "Hey, that one over there looks better than this one. Lets grab the seeds from it".
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 16:03   #223

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
You do know tomatoes are not naturally red, right?
True. Personally, the yellowish tomatoes are more flavorful and sweeter than the uniform red ones.
Old 12-08-2013, 16:48   #224

The reason Most storebought produce has no flavor isnt because it's GM (and gm does actually mean genetically modified in a lab.. not by crossbreeding) it is because theyre picked long before theyre ripe, chilled and put on shelves.

And GM foods are everywhere sadly. A little shocker as well for those who didnt know. Genes cross species in nature via natural processes. (there are some microorganisms that will actually incorporate some of the genes of their prey in fact...)

So when we create some unknown sequence to incorporate into the food chain... it's quite possible it could someday make its way into the human genome. We're playing w fire as usual. But hey as long as someone is making a profit right..
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 17:03   #225
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post

Really? GM stands for genetically modified, correct? Genetic modification usually means selecting breeds for consistent size, colour and usability/saleability. Harvestability only came about after machines.

You do know tomatoes are not naturally red, right? Carrots are not orange naturally? House of Orange and all that striking a bell?

GM doesn't mean it was done in the 20th-21st century.

We've been modifying plants since we learned "Hey, that one over there looks better than this one. Lets grab the seeds from it".
GM , is the active deliberate modification of the DNA , selective breeding and even hybridisation is not GM.

Tomatoes originated in South America , the natural variety does not uniformly ripen. But leaves yellow and green stripes. Livingston a US grower, was a key figure in developing commercial varieties that ripen evenly and were a consistent size.

Tomatoes are available with yellow, orange, pink, purple, green, black, or white fruit , . Multicolored and striped fruit can also be quite striking

Dave

Tags
food, refrigeration