Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 21:07   #166

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

I have that one. It works well. Too steep of a price for what it is. I'd look on Craigs List. People buy them and then they sit.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:10   #167

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

In hot moist conditions you need a closed unit with some heat, a light bulb and a constant fan.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:19   #168

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I semi dry small halved tomatoes by placing them on a foil covered metal tray (heat is then reflected up as well) in a sunny position on the deck in summer, then when ready packing them in olive oil in a glass jar. Not because of storage or availablity issues though, simply because of the incredibly intense flavour. The oil is then beautifully infused as well .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:26   #169
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I semi dry small halved tomatoes by placing them on a foil covered metal tray (heat is then reflected up as well) in a sunny position on the deck in summer, then when ready packing them in olive oil in a glass jar. Not because of storage or availablity issues though, simply because of the incredibly intense flavour. The oil is then beautifully infused as well .
Ahhh... learning the wisdom of the Old World... so often discounted by the New Age... try it with Capsicums...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:37   #170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ahhh... learning the wisdom of the Old World... so often discounted by the New Age... try it with Capsicums...
Will do. Great suggestion . I have an unlimited supply at this anchorage, as they are in season and "Opa" who looks after the garden at the tiny family run 'resort' in the otherwise empty bay plies me with them whenever I drop in.

I will report back in a few days as to how long it takes (tomatoes are ready in a couple of days).

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34   #171

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
I have that one. It works well. Too steep of a price for what it is. I'd look on Craigs List. People buy them and then they sit.
Yes, looks pricey, but is stainless, and also looks like it would process a substantial amount of food at a time. Those little plastic ones look too small for my idea to work.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00   #172

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detav007 View Post

I'd never thought of growing on board. I've heard that asparagus loves salty environments. My parents always grew theirs by the road and the salt from the roads would make it grow like crazy every year. Just a thought for boat gardeners.
Asparagus requires very deep beds, like Several feet. Not well suited for growing on a boat.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27   #173

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Should they be stored in oil like pimientos ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 00:02   #174

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I haven't read this entire thread so maybe this has been noted. I have a smoke oven made by Abu Garcia, it cost something like 25 bucks. You can smoke (and thereby conserve) almost anything. Fish meat etc. They will last for a long time. We also have a vacuumpacker. Put fresh meat, fish, veggies etc in, vacuumpack it and store it down by the keel (coolest place on the boat). It will last for months and remain fresh.

So you don't need to live only on canned food etc if you want to bring meat, but don't have a refrigerator.

Buy a pasta machine (still using yours Seaworthy?), eggs last for months if you turn them every day. A goodly supply of durum flour and you can make fresh pasta in a few minutes. Cook up a huge pot full of spaghetti sauce, portion vacuum pack it and you'll be enjoying fresh spaghetti/lasagne etc any day you want.

By the way NatKat - I'm not sure your forebearers enjoyed tomatoes. Tomatoes were considered poisonous until the mid/late 1800's and not eaten.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:30   #175

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Buy a pasta machine (still using yours Seaworthy?), eggs last for months if you turn them every day. A goodly supply of durum flour and you can make fresh pasta in a few minutes.......
Yep, still using mine and I think of you every time I do .

I have avoided "gadgets" on board, using the bare minimum of kitchen tools (and nothing electric apart from a stick mixer), but the pasta machine has been brilliant (for those unfamiliar with one, the dough is fed through rollers and then cut by turning a handle). Homemade pasta is sublime!

The other wonderful food on board is homemade bread. It uses even more spartan non refrigerated ingredients - hard flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, water. Warm fragrant bread or pizza straight from the oven is mouthwateringly good - arguably even better than fresh pasta.

"Pizza" topped with Boatie's Mulligatawny and slices of cheese melting through it is food fit for the gods

(Without refrigeration hard cheese keeps well wrapped in paper towel soaked in vinegar then greaseproof paper, and stored in a dry bilge. Change the vinegar soaked paper every few days.)

Old 06-08-2013, 07:57   #176
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Should they be stored in oil like pimientos ?
I believe they are one and the same... and yes..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:22   #177

Boat: OPB
Quote:
(Without refrigeration hard cheese keeps well wrapped in paper towel soaked in vinegar then greaseproof paper, and stored in a dry bilge. Change the vinegar soaked paper every few days.)
Does that make the cheese vinegary?

I'm sure these techniques really work, and I like the fact that knowledge that might otherwise fade into oblivion is being preserved, but sometimes I can't imagine that it is super delicious. I must say that I find this thread thoroughly fascinating, and quite educational. If I ever (god forbid) find myself without refrigeration, I will at least be well prepared.

Even though I know I CAN eat 6 month old opened mayonnaise I really have very little wish to be in circumstances where I might be tempted to, if you know what I mean.

Yeah yeah I'm a prima Donna, flame away....
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:49   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Does that make the cheese vinegary?
I use cheese stored this way for cooking - melted on bread or pizza etc and the vinegar is not discernible. Eaten straight, yes, mildly. But it is great to be able to keep opened cheese without spoiling (it goes mouldy in warm weather within a few days otherwise). Vacuum sealed cheese keeps well in a dry bilge for weeks/ months, but still needs to be stored somehow once opened.

I have tried "preserving" both hard cheese and feta in olive oil and this works reasonably well, but uses up a huge amount of oil and I can't use it up quickly enough in cooking.

By the way, even with refrigeration, the best way to store feta is immersed in a salt solution in a glass jar (approx 2 tsp of salt per cup of water) then topped with a thin layer of oil. It keeps very fresh for weeks this way.

It is very useful to know how to live comfortably without refrigeration. So many summer voyages are held up unnecessarily in ports waiting for repairs to systems that are considered "vital". Although I would miss cold drinks and ice cubes in summer, I can manage well without the fridge otherwise .

Old 06-08-2013, 18:56   #179

Boat: Able 50

Look for cheese that is sold with a wax coating. That will keep unrefrigerated for 3 months and maybe longer if it is stored in a cool place.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:58   #180
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

That's so simple. How do you know when they're ready?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, refrigeration