Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 22:24   #121

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
When I was on my year long cruise, I stocked up on every kind of canned vegetable in the world (I probably sank my waterline several inches).

You just heat them up, season them and eat them. I had never been much of a vegetable eater since leaving home and mom's home cooking, but after eating that way for several months, I never felt better in my entire life and I got back to my high school weight.

The only down side is that a lot of them do have a lot of sodium in them. So, if you are on a low sodium diet, this may not be the diet for you.
For making tomato sauce canned tomatoes are even superior to fresh ones... Unless you grow them yourselves.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 22:26   #122

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It ain't vanilla until you see the little dark spots of real vanilla, which is super with some fresh fruit. The rest is all chemical junk.
Every molecule in your ice cream is a chemical...

Anyway, the fruit in the ice cream on sale here is definitely tree grown...
Old 16-07-2013, 22:31   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Rakuflames said:

Coconut oil is not a saturated fat. It's a trans fat

Not true, again:

Coconut oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But again, you're just talking...

According to the link you post coconut oil does not contain trans fat, unless it is hydrogenated. So by itself coconut oil is indeed not a trans fat. At least according to your source...
Old 16-07-2013, 22:48   #124

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Today I was at wallmart, and saw a new product (new for here anyways). It was basically vacu-sealed taco meat (beef), in a little foil package. It was from Brazil.

Looked it up. Its this. Hmm... tried to post a pic and it wouldn't work. Heres a URL instead

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-s-Seasoned-Beef-Crumbles-6-oz/24705058

I didnt' know such a product even existed. Packaged said best if used by Aug 2015. A 2+ year shelflife. It was about $2 for a 1/2 lb (8 oz) package.

Anyone tried this? Is it any good?
Old 19-07-2013, 09:07   #125
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here in Oman they sell dried shark meat, which seems to be intended as a sort of jerky treat. We soak it and use it in risottos and stuff when we run out of fresh meat. Bit weird, but better texture than canned meat or soya meat...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:13   #126
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I cannot argue with the video, or the other one either, because I have not seen it. nor will I. I am not interested in diets per se. But it is always possible that I still may be thick because of that. Being blissfully unaware and happily useless has got me this far, so I guess I will make it to the end.

Raku, for possibly the first time you and I can agree on something. Ice cream! Yes! I do not care how many chemicals are in it either.

Coops.

Well, good homemade is best ... but there are a lot of ice creaams out there without a bunch of chemicals in it. If there are gods, they invented ice cream and let the recipe slip -- bless 'em!

I like it simple, too. I don't need to put a bunch of stuff on it.

I don't think you're thick at all but I love your "happily useless" phrase.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:15   #127
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLandlocked View Post
Today I was at wallmart, and saw a new product (new for here anyways). It was basically vacu-sealed taco meat (beef), in a little foil package. It was from Brazil.

Looked it up. Its this. Hmm... tried to post a pic and it wouldn't work. Heres a URL instead

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Libby-s-Seasoned-Beef-Crumbles-6-oz/24705058

I didnt' know such a product even existed. Packaged said best if used by Aug 2015. A 2+ year shelflife. It was about $2 for a 1/2 lb (8 oz) package.

Anyone tried this? Is it any good?

Wow -- looks as if it doesn't have black pepper in it, either! I'll put some in spaghetti sauce and see how it does.
Old 19-07-2013, 10:04   #128

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

"Crumbles", are my favorite part of the cow.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 19:50   #129

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

The notion that any one diet is correct for all human beings - at land or at sea - is crazy talk. Different people have different nutritional needs. Luckily nature provides human beings with a wide variety of foods which can be transported vast distances without refrigeration (or the human race would have gone extinct).
Meat eaters can carry many naturally preserved foods such as dry salami or jerky which often require minimal packaging and create little trash. For those who love chemicals and don't mind making plastic trash to further torment ocean wildlife there are packaged meat products.

Grains and Legumes are essential foods for vegetarians and omnivores and human evolution depended on these foods because they store and keep well. Grains and Legures are ideal boat foods for those with no refrigeration. If you buy bulk, grains and legumes make little or no trash to store on your boat or dump in the ocean.

Fruits and vegetables are essential - fresh and home-preserved are the most nutritious but canned might be essential for some. Again, the advantage of fresh is no packaging = no waste. Can and packages = waste which must be kept on the boat or dumped at sea.

Bon Apetit y'all ... vegetarians, vegans, carnivores, omivores ... nature and modern science can give you whatever you choose to eat.

I admit a certain prejudice toward natural foods which tend to be more nutritious than modern engineered "food products". Natural foods have thousands of years of nutritional evolution behind them and this contains an innate wisdom which might be missed by food engineers in a lab guided by profit motive more than nutritional compatibility with the human body. Out at sea on a limited diet, I would opt for the most nutritional "bang for my buck" which means natural foods. But that is just me.

For those who love their packaged food ... yeah ... the ancients prolly would have used it if they had it };>

cheers,
Natasya
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 20:13   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Every molecule in your ice cream is a chemical...

Anyway, the fruit in the ice cream on sale here is definitely tree grown...

Of course it's all chemials. It's not all chemical JUNK, however.
Old 19-07-2013, 20:15   #131
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
"Crumbles", are my favorite part of the cow.

It's dried meat. That's been around for centuries. I'm willing to try it.
Old 20-07-2013, 04:42   #132
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
The notion that any one diet is correct for all human beings - at land or at sea - is crazy talk. Different people have different nutritional needs. Luckily nature provides human beings with a wide variety of foods which can be transported vast distances without refrigeration (or the human race would have gone extinct).
Meat eaters can carry many naturally preserved foods such as dry salami or jerky which often require minimal packaging and create little trash. <b> For those who love chemicals and don't mind making plastic trash to further torment ocean wildlife there are packaged meat products.</b>
And that was how far I got. Shame to ruin a post with sneering judgements when it started so good... Canned ham and corned beef are prime examples of what to provision a boat with, and have nothing to do with chemicals and plastic trash.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:03   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Of course it's all chemials. It's not all chemical JUNK, however.
It's not because a chemical was synthesized in a factory that it is junk...
There has always been stuff in our food that was bad for us. But things have improved.
Old 23-07-2013, 13:07   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
I admit a certain prejudice toward natural foods which tend to be more nutritious than modern engineered "food products". Natural foods have thousands of years of nutritional evolution behind them and this contains an innate wisdom which might be missed by food engineers in a lab guided by profit motive more than nutritional compatibility with the human body. Out at sea on a limited diet, I would opt for the most nutritional "bang for my buck" which means natural foods. But that is just me.
There is no reason to assume a priori that "natural" foods are more nutritious. Firstly natural is relative. Almost nothing in the human diet is natural. Secondly nature does not exist to nourish us. If you could assign an intention to nature it would be to kill us, and in the end it always does.
Old 23-07-2013, 18:58   #135

Boat: Pearson 281

W/O having read the thread... tinned butter with a couple of small ceramic butter keepers; nice New Zealand (the worlds third largest butter producer I believe) butter called Red Feather from Pleasant Hill Farms here in the U.S., a couple of sprouters (EasySprout from Sprout People in San Francisco are really easy to use and clean) can provide fresh veg. Chichester sprouted his way round the world. I use all kinds of different beans and seeds and things like Lentils which, of course can double as sprouts or soup. Instant mash potatoes, (lentil stew Shepard's Pie), shelf stable milk, never refrigerated eggs turned regularly (even available in Orange County near L.A.) I keep cheese in olive oil in containers and get mayo in little packets. Long lasting sweet potatoes (my breakfast stew is oatmeal, grated sweet potatoes, raisins and apples served w butter, milk and maple syrup... yum!) jicima and plenty of other root veg I haven't experimented with.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, refrigeration