Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 16:49   #91

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Re: What food to buy without refrigeration?

Rakuflames says:

"Any time a new fad diet comes along, people glom on to it, and then people who may well be psychopaths, not caring anything about the money they're getting from riding the new wave, find all sorts of ways to make money on it."

With all do respect, you can hardly call a diet based on millions of years of human evolution a "fad" diet.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 17:22   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: What food to buy without refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Rakuflames says:

"Any time a new fad diet comes along, people glom on to it, and then people who may well be psychopaths, not caring anything about the money they're getting from riding the new wave, find all sorts of ways to make money on it."

With all do respect, you can hardly call a diet based on millions of years of human evolution a "fad" diet.

I disagree with your assumption. I tried to respond to an earlier post, but couldn't your first statement was accurate, tht imflammation is the root cause of many human ailments.

You then used that as proof that this notion of the "paleo" diet is accurate.

That isn't how real science works. I'm not going to try to explain it to you, but reading scientific research is sort of like reading law, in that it's a specialized kind of reading, writing, AND researching. I spent two semesters in graduate school studying it before doing my own research.

"Hunter-gatherer" means hunting meat AND gathering vegetable-based foods - including grains. Our molars developed a LONG time before 10,000 BC. In addition, different societies moved out of the "hunter-gatherer" stage of development at different times. There are still isolated societies that anthropologists would classify as hunter-gatherers.

Just because one reads it on the Internet doens't make it so. Books are not a good source for accurate information either. There's no oversight regarding their content whatsoever. While all this is going on, there's another whole subset of people insisting that if we only would eat more quinona we would all be healthier. It's not just a grain -- it's SUPER-GRAIN! (It's the seed you sprinkle on your chia pet.)

It stretches credulity to the breaking point to think that we would risk our lives hunting antelope in predator country but not try the grains.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 17:32   #93
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Rakuflames says:

No?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...rer-really-eat

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Debun...eo-Diet-Christ
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 17:45   #94

Boat: Leopard 40
Scientific American also published an article that carbs may be a bigger contributor to heart disease and obesity.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...against-cardio

Of course, food studies have been "proven" and "debunked" many times. Those who have auto-immune diseases usually have a good idea of the dangers of inflammation ( and the effect on organs) and the common association with diet.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 18:24   #95

Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Pretty much drives home my point.

The Scientific American article incorrectly states the importance of calcium rich milk. High consumption of dairy is linked to osteoporosis. Milk is very acidic and in order for our bodies to neutralize the acidity, calcium is drawn from our bones.

Diet topics always get personal, but all we have to do is look around in Western societies and see the insane rates of chronic disease. Obesity, heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease and cancer rates are multiplying at a scary rate.

This conversation has gotten into trying to discredit details about the argument that aren't as important as the main premise. Many people stay healthy by simply avoiding high processed packaged goods, and GMO foods. Other people have found taking it further and avoiding grains all together, seems to work better for them.

Human evolution was not based on a grain diet, its not a conspiracy theory. Grains taste like sh*t anyways, you have to load them up with butter or some type of sauce to eat them. I much rather eat some delicious meat and lots of fruits and vegetables.
Old 15-07-2013, 18:38   #96
cruiser

Quote:

The Scientific American article incorrectly states the importance of calcium rich milk. High consumption of dairy is linked to osteoporosis. Milk is very acidic and in order for our bodies to neutralize the acidity, calcium is drawn from our bones.

Diet topics always get personal, but all we have to do is look around in Western societies and see the insane rates of chronic disease. Obesity, heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease and cancer rates are multiplying at a scary rate.

This conversation has gotten into trying to discredit details about the argument that aren't as important as the main premise. Many people stay healthy by simply avoiding high processed packaged goods, and GMO foods. Other people have found taking it further and avoiding grains all together, seems to work better for them.

Human evolution was not based on a grain diet, its not a conspiracy theory. Grains taste like sh*t anyways, you have to load them up with butter or some type of sauce to eat them. I much rather eat some delicious meat and lots of fruits and vegetables.

I like 'em all, especially with sauce and seasonings.

You've fallen in love with the idea, and tha's fine for you. I just don't understand why we all have to agree with you. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks and all that.
Old 15-07-2013, 18:40   #97
cruiser

Quote:

But you want this discussion. You just don't want your idea discredited.

How, exactly, does this relate to sailing? You can't say it's about the food taken, because grains, beans, etc. transport easily. You like this diet, and that's fine, but a whole thread about sailing has been hijacked to your beliefs about what we should and shouldn't eat.

I think we should eat more algae. We could grow it right on our boats!
Old 15-07-2013, 18:55   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I like 'em all, especially with sauce and seasonings.

You've fallen in love with the idea, and tha's fine for you. I just don't understand why we all have to agree with you. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks and all that.
You're right, I do enjoy it. Growing up and living on a farm, fishing and hunting, I like the idea of living off of the natural land. Now I'd like to see if i can make it work at sea, with a little help from land of course.

I've been trying to get my parents onboard with eating healthy lately, and i find the Paleo/primal way is easy to comprehend and doesn't take much effort. So i guess I'm just used to driving home my point these days.

My gf was vegan for 6 months, that was a nightmare, i gave it a try and lasted 10 days. I was literally a caveman ripping meat off of the bone with my teeth the day i convinced her to try the primal diet.

Rakuflames says:

" but a whole thread about sailing has been hijacked to your beliefs about what we should and shouldn't eat."

...with a little help from you of course.

I stated in my early post about my plan to can beef that we raise and store them onboard. Maybe 100lbs or more.

Then it just turn into a debate.....I'm thinking you're taking up just as much space on this forum not talking about the thread subject.....no big deal, we'll all survive.
Old 15-07-2013, 18:57   #99

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

After having had a heart attack last year I have searched the data looking for causes of heart disease. The information says that cholesterol, specially animal protein, is a marker for HD. But not the primary culprit. The initiator of the plaque buildup is inflammation. Inflammation caused by refined carbs and refined sugars. These are causing inflammation throughout the body but also the arterial system. The inflammation causes cracks, irritation in whats called the endothelia(sp) layer of the artery. The body responds by sending fatty cholesterol to cover the crack and eventually getting large enough to block the artery. So the initial culprit seems to be refined carbs; And the bodies reaction is to send the bad fat we eat to fix the problem, and creating a new problem. A lot like life in general. So to say it's this or that, or this is the way, is really missing the point. It's not so much what I;m eating but rather the quality of what I'm eating. So I'm sticking to my simple recipe. If it come in a bag, a box, a can , or a bottle don't eat it. Eat food that has not label. And. a new one, if it's white, it's probably poison.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 19:09   #100
cruiser

Quote:
You're right, I do enjoy it. Growing up and living on a farm, fishing and hunting, I like the idea of living off of the natural land. Now I'd like to see if i can make it work at sea, with a little help from land of course.

I've been trying to get my parents onboard with eating healthy lately, and i find the Paleo/primal way is easy to comprehend and doesn't take much effort. So i guess I'm just used to driving home my point these days.

My gf was vegan for 6 months, that was a nightmare, i gave it a try and lasted 10 days. I was literally a caveman ripping meat off of the bone with my teeth the day i convinced her to try the primal diet.

Rakuflames says:

" but a whole thread about sailing has been hijacked to your beliefs about what we should and shouldn't eat."

...with a little help from you of course.

I stated in my early post about my plan to can beef that we raise and store them onboard. Maybe 100lbs or more.

Then it just turn into a debate.....I'm thinking you're taking up just as much space on this forum not talking about the thread subject.....no big deal, we'll all survive.

It's long past anything to do with sailing (the idea of canning your own meat was a great one) ...

and you aren't eating anything resembling a true diet. See Scientific American. in addition, the hunter-gatherer diet varied widely. See SA. In addition, mummies that have survived from that era show the illnesses w have today -- when people managed to live long enough to develop them, at least. See SA.

Eveolution isn't static and we have shown dramatic evolution even regarding how we handle what we eat. AGAIN, see the SA article. It gave a very good overview.

Eat healthy? I'm sorry, but that's not news, and it's not sailing.
Old 15-07-2013, 19:17   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

All my life I have eaten what I felt like eating and what I liked eating. Same with drinking. I am 64 now and have never been ill enough to be in hospital and have rarely seen a doctor. So, believe what you want, live to your own regimes, but I can tell you now that I have enjoyed my life and do not regret any of my choices, so you telling me what I should do is a bit arrogant on your part and a waste of time and energy.

Coops.
Old 15-07-2013, 19:28   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
All my life I have eaten what I felt like eating and what I liked eating. Same with drinking. I am 64 now and have never been ill enough to be in hospital and have rarely seen a doctor. So, believe what you want, live to your own regimes, but I can tell you now that I have enjoyed my life and do not regret any of my choices, so you telling me what I should do is a bit arrogant on your part and a waste of time and energy.

Coops.
Let me tell you what you should do(just kidding) I too eat what I want when I want ..Never been in the hospital feel good all the time,truely blessed...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 19:29   #103

Quote:
I can tell you now that I have enjoyed my life and do not regret any of my choices, so you telling me what I should do is a bit arrogant on your part and a waste of time and energy.

Coops.
I think you're searching on that one.

Everyone gets so damn emotional when it comes to their diet, and the insults start flying. Maybe i just have a knack at pissing off the baby boomers.

I'm just throwing information out there, and having a conversation. Its a food thread.
Old 15-07-2013, 19:34   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Happy is an emotion, and I am. I am talking about food am I not?

Coops.
Old 15-07-2013, 19:44   #105
cruiser

Quote:

Coops.

I agree with you.

I think an awful lot of it is luck. I think staying active really helps. I think it's the reason my badly sprained shoulder healed so well (that and that I was willing to baby it for a full month.)

I don't buy the "paleo" diet. At the same time, I don't think they know nearly as much as they think they do about things like cholesterol. Fortunately mine seems to be naturally low so I don't have to deal with that right now. I am remarkably healthy and I say, "Don't fix what ain't broke."

Tags
food, refrigeration