Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2013, 02:15   #76
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: What food to buy without refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrain View Post
have you tried using coconut oil? My wife uses it and it makes for a pretty good substitute in tuna salad etc. Ill ask her how she does it

One big problem with coconut oil is that it's very trans fatty, the worst kind of fat to consume. I have low cholesterol. I don't worry about butter, but I avoid coconut oil when I can.

Old 15-07-2013, 08:17   #77

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
One big problem with coconut oil is that it's very trans fatty, the worst kind of fat to consume. I have low cholesterol. I don't worry about butter, but I avoid coconut oil when I can.
Not attacking here, I just think people need to be updated with a massive shift in common knowledge when it comes to healthy eating. Coconut oil is great product for cooking, and has many health benefits. We use it daily in many different forms.

This is all old information that has been de-bunked many times in the past decade. Eating cholesterol does not increase cholesterol levels in the blood, either does eating saturated fat. Eating high carbohydrate diets are what cause high cholesterol and heart disease.

The information is out there, just look for it. 2012 sales of Lipitor surpassed $9 billions dollars, why would they want to mess with that kind of profit? Big Pharma suppress information that affects their bottom line, no big shocker there.

Example:

The Diet-Heart Myth: Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Are Not the Enemy

Old 15-07-2013, 08:58   #78
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
. Eating high carbohydrate diets are what cause high cholesterol and heart disease.
Whilst I agree, I dont want to get into a political discussion about it.
But I do want to draw attention to long passages without freezer or refrigeration on a low carbohydrate diet.
The good is that its a great time to give up Coke and fizzy drinks! The downside is that it can be easy to store carbs like pasta, grains, rice etc. Its difficult to get good tinned meat and there is few fresh vegetables.

many canned (tinned) meats these days have a high percentage of fillers that are either rice, potatoes, wheat, carb of sugar/ high fructose corn syrup in them. Some of the tinned hams are great! Some of the Spanish dried hams are great too.

I have found by removing all fizzy drinks (OK, except beer!) and stopping drinking coffee & tea (cos I put sugar in it)... and deserts can be good with some packet mixes without sugar (jello!) etc.
With that as a start then a long passage has to be what it has to be.

I agree that coconut oil is good for cooking and puts across a great flavour of the tropics!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:14   #79

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
. Eating high carbohydrate diets are what cause high cholesterol and heart disease.
Any peer reviewed links to back that up?
Old 15-07-2013, 09:32   #80

Boat: Irwin 42
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Raku, It looks like all of the jelly type products need refrigeration after opening... So I've switched to Honey. Seems to be fine with the pb, coffee & tea of course. When close to shore or at dock I add banana to the pb sandwich... Or perhaps spread pb on slices of apple. Has anyone had any issues with honey I should be aware of ?
Old 15-07-2013, 09:50   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Any peer reviewed links to back that up?
Here's 60 of them

The Paleo Diet Published Research | Dr. Loren Cordain
Old 15-07-2013, 09:59   #82

Quote:

A very quick search came up with none of those putting forward the claim that carbohydrates cause heart attacks? Did I miss something?
Old 15-07-2013, 10:02   #83

Mark, good point about the fillers in the commercially canned goods, not to mention the BPA in some canned products.

My dad usually butchers a steer every September, and I've been contemplating whether i should can 100 lbs or more in 1/L jars. They have stackable cases for them, to help prevent them from smashing together.

The issue is when we cross into the U.S on our way to the Bahamas we have to be able to proof the meat is Canadian origin. Since its home grown I'm not sure the best to do this, maybe a butcher receipt?

I'm thinking we could live pretty cheap in the bahamas with that much canned meat and a Hawaiian sling.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:14   #84

Quote:
A very quick search came up with none of those putting forward the claim that carbohydrates cause heart attacks? Did I miss something?
You ask for peer review articles, then don't even read them. "A very quick search", you can't ask for peer review then scan the titles. Some take hours to read.

Regardless, just look into a bit further, its all there with real studies. Check out Robb Wolfe and Mark Scission, these guys have accumulated a lot of scientific research while producing their work.

.....Ok now i'm supposed to be outside sanding my deck for coat #2 (note: never paint a deck if its not 100% necessary, its a nightmare.)
Old 15-07-2013, 10:32   #85

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

There's a growing controversy with Chinese Honey smuggling, due to the pesticides and other chemical used there. Honey keeps forever but be careful that you get good honey (beware any on a regular grocery shelf).

I've seen some canned meat at Russian groceries.
Old 15-07-2013, 16:38   #86

Quote:

You ask for peer review articles, then don't even read them. "A very quick search", you can't ask for peer review then scan the titles. Some take hours to read.
Not just the titles, a search through the abstracts as well. Also nothing as simplistic as your statement that 'carbohydrates cause heart attacks' came up in Google scholar either.
Old 15-07-2013, 17:22   #87
cruiser

[QUOTE=Freerider;1285566]Not attacking here, I just think people need to be updated with a massive shift in common knowledge when it comes to healthy eating. Coconut oil is great product for cooking, and has many health benefits. We use it daily in many different forms.

This is all old information that has been de-bunked many times in the past decade. Eating cholesterol does not increase cholesterol levels in the blood, either does eating saturated fat. Eating high carbohydrate diets are what cause high cholesterol and heart disease.

The information is out there, just look for it. 2012 sales of Lipitor surpassed $9 billions dollars, why would they want to mess with that kind of profit? Big Pharma suppress information that affects their bottom line, no big shocker there.

Example:
I don't think so .../QUOTE]

Thing is, use the right search words and you can find just about anything on the Internet. This reminds me of the insurance commercial where the young lady believes everything she reads online. And, by the way, "peer reviewed" is no longer any kind of scientific review, becuase your peers can all be idiots following the same fairy tale. I could take us to a website insisting that the world is flat. It is the Internet that convinced a significant minority of people that the Mayan calendar "Proved" the world was going to end last December. I must have missed it. I hate it when that happens!!!

Any time a new fad diet comes along, people glom on to it, and then people who may well be psychopaths, not caring anything about the money they're getting from riding the new wave, find all sorts of ways to make money on it. I'm just waiting for a new food line to come out in the grocery stores based on the paleo diet. I guess the blood type diet is out the window. There was no substance to that either, but when it was "hot," the internet was awash with people trying to convince us otherwise.

Coconut oil is not a saturated fat. It's a trans fat, and for those open to the information, they might consider avoiding it.

Or not. Those who gather all their information from the Information have to expect to be served up a plate of bushwah, at least once in a while.
Old 15-07-2013, 17:25   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Whilst I agree, I dont want to get into a political discussion about it.
But I do want to draw attention to long passages without freezer or refrigeration on a low carbohydrate diet.
The good is that its a great time to give up Coke and fizzy drinks! The downside is that it can be easy to store carbs like pasta, grains, rice etc. Its difficult to get good tinned meat and there is few fresh vegetables.

many canned (tinned) meats these days have a high percentage of fillers that are either rice, potatoes, wheat, carb of sugar/ high fructose corn syrup in them. Some of the tinned hams are great! Some of the Spanish dried hams are great too.

I have found by removing all fizzy drinks (OK, except beer!) and stopping drinking coffee & tea (cos I put sugar in it)... and deserts can be good with some packet mixes without sugar (jello!) etc.
With that as a start then a long passage has to be what it has to be.

I agree that coconut oil is good for cooking and puts across a great flavour of the tropics!

Mark

While I would say stop worrying about the carbohydrates. Beans and rice travel extremely well and are yummy with a variety of seasonings. Try Persian rice: put rice, sauteed yellow onion, and either dried cherries (the Persian way) or dried cranberries (I like that better). Add some sea salt and some butter, and just cook the rice. If you really want to get fancy, throw in some slivered almonds. Yum-mee! Makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. Experiment with seasonings to add to it.
Old 15-07-2013, 17:26   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoKnots View Post
Raku, It looks like all of the jelly type products need refrigeration after opening... So I've switched to Honey. Seems to be fine with the pb, coffee & tea of course. When close to shore or at dock I add banana to the pb sandwich... Or perhaps spread pb on slices of apple. Has anyone had any issues with honey I should be aware of ?

The only one I know of is that babies under a year old shouldn't eat it, but I'm not wild about honey. It's just too sweet for me.
Old 15-07-2013, 17:44   #90

Quote:
Not just the titles, a search through the abstracts as well. Also nothing as simplistic as your statement that 'carbohydrates cause heart attacks' came up in Google scholar either.
Your Google-fu needs work

The idea behind it all is that systemic inflammation is the main driver of many of the chronic health diseases including cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases.

When eating high carb, high grain diets our bodies go through chronic systemic inflammation, which leads to a plethora of possible diseases.

If this is truly an interest for you, i recommending checking these books out:

The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young: Loren Cordain: 9781118404157: Amazon.com: Books

The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet: Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain: 9780982565841: Amazon.com: Books

The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series): Mark Sisson: 9780982207789: Amazon.com: Books

As to the cruising without refrigeration, I had plans to load the boat up with feed bags of rice/flour/beans and try my luck at the $500/month idea. However; once i went primal/paleo it was quickly evident how much better i felt, and i knew cruising without the fridge/freezer was going to much more difficult.

Good thing is there's no room for a freezer in my budget, and thats where canning meat comes in. We're still going to try the $500 a month thing, but have budgeted for $1000.

Tags
food, refrigeration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: