Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2013, 10:11   #16

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop
Re: What food to buy without refrigeration?

canned evaporated milk is good for most receipes
alot of canned soups..i prefer progresso (here in memphis, they are a buck 50 per can, but in KW they r like 250 per can dont know why)
jasmin rice goes with anything
pastas
jarred skettie sauce
nannas
eggs
spam
canned meats..all kinds
breads..baquettes are best
chocolate chip cookies...chips ahoy r better than keebler...
hamburger, chicken, tuna, helper in the box. just used canned meats.
canned veggies and fruits for long term
peanut butter
sometimes i just get into town for a happy hour like at turtles krawls, for the happy hour menu. wings and 2 landsharks cost bout 10 bucks.

thats pretty much my provisions

Old 04-06-2013, 10:21   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The politics of food.
Only fresh, organic oxcart hauled grown by virgin captives of buddhist monks grown food will last?
The LONGEST lasting produce is the Costco stuff that's gassed in the plastic bags.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:44   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I'll eat anything grown by virgins!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:55   #19

I just can my own foor in mason jars whenever I coock something....easy and it last for ever....you can can meat fish chicken, whole meals, spaghetti sause etc.....works great and is good as long as the jar is vacum sealed....and way cheaper than dried meals or millitary rations...
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03   #20

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Avoid provisioning with too many 'meals in a can', like beef stew or chili or soups: after a while they all start to taste the same.

I take a wide range of individual ingredients that are dried or canned (mushrooms, green beans, corned beef, tune, and etc), that can be combined in a lot of different ways.

Are there any "No Fridge" cookbooks or websites? It took me about a year to come up with a wide range of meals that I like.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:25   #21

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

To the OP:
Do you must eat meat? Can eat it sometimes or in every meal?
Are you provisioning for a long passage?
If you don’t care for meat, there are many more options, as whole foods, anything “live” = live means that if you plant they will grow again – will last for a long time if properly stored. Anything refined could have a shorter life, depending where they are from, and is much less nutritious. Brown rice, whole grains in general, legumes, etc – not only good for you, but also very convenient. If they are whole, you can grow your own sprouts.
If provisioning for a passage or for long periods out of the way, summarize the responses above.
If close to civilization, buy the staples in bulk and go for your daily fresh food shopping. Its entertaining, and there is not much else to do anyway, right?
BTW - The green plastic bags (not sure what they are called) really works for fruits and vegetables - these last twice as long when stored in a dark place, and these bags are reusable.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:13   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the last soul who bragged on keeping mayo for 6 months gave 10 individuals the worst case of food poisoning ever. we all wanted to kill her.
different brands of may have different unfridged shelf lives.
i use best foods/ helmans--i only keep it for a month then dispo--it DOES go very bad in short time--the emulsification agent in mayo is egg. there are someno egg mayos. the eggie is the culprit for bad mayo. do not kid yourslef on keeping mayo made with eggs over one month.
i have been living quite comfortably without a fridge since 1990. isnt difficult.

i catch fish.
eat rice and veggies
i do not need a fridge and i do not ever eat mres. they are not comfortable--they are military and camping. i do not camp. this is my home i am cruising--not a tent in siberia.
veggies are available everywhere.
so are canned items. canned goes well in rice.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57   #23

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Speaking of tents in Siberia, this is what we used to do for month-long hiking/whitewater expeditions in Soviet times:

~200g of grain (rice, pasta, oats, buckwheat, semolina) and wheat flour
~100g Canned or dehydrated meat
~30g Powder milk
~100 g (i.e., lots) of sugar
~dehydrated soups, eggs, etc
Vegetable oil, spices and multivitamins.

550g per person per day (36 lbs per month for the imperially inclined) is enough. I did a month on 420g once, that was... ahem... uncomfortably close to starving.

Stuff is cheap, readily available anywhere in the world, lasts for years (when stored in plastic water bottles or milk jars), and you can live on it for a couple of months quite easily. Not the healthiest alternative, for sure, but that's what I would do as emergency provisions in case a voyage takes much longer than anticipated.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:42   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I used to buy whole canned chickens but the tiny bones are a real hazard. Unlike small fish bones, which dissolve in canning, chicken bones stay hard and sharp. If you are into home canning, it's easy to stuff skinless, bone-in thighs into jars and can them. The bone lifts out easily and the dark meat is tasty. Costs more but I also can some boneless, skinless breast meat. Lots of difference in brands of canned "chunk" chicken so try several before buying in case lots.
Old 04-06-2013, 14:48   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cabbage keeps very well, we used it for salads when aboard in Mexico alot. Jerky is good protein. Those freeze dried expedition meals are pretty good, but expensive. Canned corned beef can be very much like Beef roast... stringy and good. Dont buy cheap stuff... the best used to be from New Zealand and was available in Mexico. Canned Danish Ham. (the Danes outlawed antibiotics in their meat years ago) Canned white chunk meat Chicken is good too. Buy things like Mayo in smaller jars... it will last a couple of weeks or more if you keep it clean.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 21:34   #26

Boat: Catalina 25' (1970)

My apologies, I should have provided more information.

I don't go on super long voyages that much, but it's convenient to have food stores onboard that I can eat should I not want to go out for food.

I just moved into a new boat that actually has an ice box, and I'm considering using it except the crazy price of ice around here is terrible...

I like all kinds of food, but veggie type munches are my favorites. Celery and hummus are great. Jerky is great. Cheese, tomatoes, etc. Only problem is, the good stuff doesn't keep all that long. It's mostly the meats and such that are problematic.

I'll consider the options listed above. I think that this really is a lost artform, since everyone relies on refrigeration these days instead of the old stuff.

I have an electric cooker pot onboard I can use, btw.
Old 04-06-2013, 21:45   #27

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsgela View Post
My apologies, I should have provided more information.

I don't go on super long voyages that much, but it's convenient to have food stores onboard that I can eat should I not want to go out for food.

I just moved into a new boat that actually has an ice box, and I'm considering using it except the crazy price of ice around here is terrible...

I like all kinds of food, but veggie type munches are my favorites. Celery and hummus are great. Jerky is great. Cheese, tomatoes, etc. Only problem is, the good stuff doesn't keep all that long. It's mostly the meats and such that are problematic.

I'll consider the options listed above. I think that this really is a lost artform, since everyone relies on refrigeration these days instead of the old stuff.

I have an electric cooker pot onboard I can use, btw.
Maybe you should look into getting a pressure cooker and canning some of your favorite perishable food.

Old 10-06-2013, 21:00   #28

Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'

Here's what's in my galley: Canned 4 bean mix, corn, tomatoes, peas. Noodles. Instant sate rice. Brown onions. Dried fruit - dates, prunes, apricots, sultanas. UHT milk. Canned tuna. Condiments - sweet chilli sauce, curry powder, salt, ground pepper. Fresh eggs, bacon. Canned pineapple, peaches, apricots, pears. Creamed rice. Muesli. Freshly caught fish. Cordials - lime, lemon, raspberry. Good quality grain bread. Vegemite, peanut butter, jam. Margarine.

I lived on this for 5 months last year, lost a few pounds and felt fitter than ever. Although I did have a serious hankering for MacDonalds whenever I went ashore.

I also have some tinned soup, baked beans and tinned stews but they don't seem to be used much.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 21:19   #29
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I used to buy whole canned chickens but the tiny bones are a real hazard. Unlike small fish bones, which dissolve in canning, chicken bones stay hard and sharp. If you are into home canning, it's easy to stuff skinless, bone-in thighs into jars and can them. The bone lifts out easily and the dark meat is tasty. Costs more but I also can some boneless, skinless breast meat. Lots of difference in brands of canned "chunk" chicken so try several before buying in case lots.

It never occurred to me -- canning the leftovers. I think it's brilliant!
Old 10-06-2013, 21:25   #30

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

tinned dolmades - de-licious

Tags
food, refrigeration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: