Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-08-2013, 15:24   #196

Boat: Able 50
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

I wondered about the tomato thing too. The Italians and Spanish ate them long before 1800. The first tomatoes in Europe were the yellow ones - hence the name pommodoro.

Old 10-08-2013, 15:26   #197

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Off topic tomato history
Yes you are correct. Tomatoes only arrived in Greece in 1815. Although possibly there were some small yellow varieties native to Med region. So my ancestors prior to 1815 ate zucchini, eggplant, and okra. Thankyou for learning something new! Meanwhile ... Great thread about sundried tomatoes in olive oil. YUM
To the fellow who loves GMO supermarket tomatoes ... Have you actually TASTED those things? Really? I find they taste like cardboard. But i suppose also you could dry them, can them, or otherwise keep them with no reefer
Cheers

Old 10-08-2013, 15:35   #198

Boat: Able 50

I think the tomato problem may have been with the Brits. Those guys are not noted for their gastronomy.
Old 10-08-2013, 15:38   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
There is no reason to assume a priori that "natural" foods are more nutritious. Firstly natural is relative. Almost nothing in the human diet is natural. Secondly nature does not exist to nourish us. If you could assign an intention to nature it would be to kill us, and in the end it always does.
Hmm. On what basis are you saying all this? Your comments fly in the face of commonly accepted science.
Old 10-08-2013, 17:41   #200

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Key lime pie anyone?
Key lime pie is actually a modern recepie which came into being due to lack of refer. Back in the 1940s (?) many residents of the florida keys still had no refers. The only milk they could get was condensed milk. Thus key lime pie was born of lime juice + sweet condensed milk + eggs. I have not made this on a boat. I am very lazy to hand whip meregue. But this recipe emerged from a zero refer culture. Really only the butter if you make graham cracker crust needs refer. Crisco & flour no refer needed ... But ew. Ok now back to being a preachy vegan TOMORROW after i make some key lime pie
Old 10-08-2013, 18:24   #201
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I think the tomato problem may have been with the Brits. Those guys are not noted for their gastronomy.
Says the man from Mac'D, KFC, Tacobell and Grits n Greens land...
Only American recipe I heard of is Southern fried chicken... the rest are rip offs from other lands...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 18:30   #202

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Says the man from Mac'D, KFC, Tacobell and Grits n Greens land...
Only American recipe I heard of is Southern fried chicken... the rest are rip offs from other lands...
What and no mention of the illustrious American invention the Corn Dog? And you thought tinned dog was bad!
Old 10-08-2013, 18:37   #203

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I take it your referring to 'Bully Beef'...
I rest my case....

Born To Be Wild
Old 10-08-2013, 18:38   #204
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Re: Drying tomatoes:

Nothing more scientific than by trying one and deciding on the moisture level .

The more moist they are, the shorter their life. Ones I am using within a few days in salads or mezze platters, I prefer about half dry.

If I want to store some for winter I will leave them in the sun until they are bone dry and very chewy. If then kept in a dry spot they actually don't even need oil when they are completely dry, the oil just improves the taste (I use the beautiful murky greeny gold olive oil that is coldpressed from the first processing and sourced straight from the grower - yummm).

Cherry tomatoes work best, but any kind can be used.

yes, I was thinking cherry tomatoes cut in half. I do believe I'm going to have to try this. thank you for the information!
Old 10-08-2013, 18:42   #205

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I take it your referring to 'Bully Beef'...
I rest my case....
Indeed!

and here another American concoction. Corn dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-08-2013, 18:43   #206

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Reporting back .

I have just finished drying a batch of capsicums along with tomatoes. There is certainly no need for a fancy dehydrator under the hot Med sun . Two days and they were ready to be packed in oil.

The jury is still out regarding dried capsicums. "Interesting" is how I would describe them. I still prefer them roasted and skinned before being stored in oil, but it is certainly an easy, oven free way of using up large quantities.

The only problem is that as my patience levels are about zero, so every time I walked past the trays I would taste test. In the end only a small jar was needed to store what was originally two trays worth of veggies .
The boiling water trick for peeling tomato's works on capsicums as well... experiment on the time factor...
Add a dash of Piri Piri and a pinch of dried Oregano and Sea Salt to the oil...

Born To Be Wild
Old 10-08-2013, 19:10   #207

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I wondered about the tomato thing too. The Italians and Spanish ate them long before 1800. The first tomatoes in Europe were the yellow ones - hence the name pommodoro.
Tomato the poisonous fruit - it started much before the 1800's. See, this guy Adam, picked one up and gave it to his GF Eve, then a snake...
Old 10-08-2013, 19:16   #208
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tomatos originated in south America, and were brought to southern Europe by the returning conquistadors. They were actively cultivated in southern europe from around 1500 onwards. pomodoro means golden apple.

they were brought to England in 1590s , where initially they were thought to be poisonous, but where actively used from about the 1750s onwards.

dave
Old 11-08-2013, 00:06   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
Wow ... To everyone who worries about what my granny ate back in the day ... Our family is GREEK. They ate traditional greek island diet. Goat milk cheese & yogurt , fish, octopus, eggs & chicken, and whatever veggies they grew. I assume tomato & cucumber amongst others. European people have traditional diets they ate for many hundreds of years. Hence the hard swiss cheeses like gruyere which need no refer. Ya ya probably also bought things like flour, lentils, sugar.
I have spent several years in Greece, predominantly anchored off small underpopulated islands that have escaped tourism. Living off the land here is still the done thing. Beans and lentils are bought from sacks in any grocery and feature heavily, goat and lamb are kept for festivities and chooks mainly used for eggs. Not a scrap of land or water is wasted on lawn.

Olive oil and red wine play a huge role in the diet of these Greeks. Almost every family has olive trees or relatives with olive trees . 'Lathera' are very common dishes - vegetables such as aubergines and zucchini are baked in oil, often with the addition of tomato and garlic. Winter sees whole families involved in harvesting olives (kids and grannies delegated to finding escapees beyond the nets on the ground).

Almost each family has homemade red wine too, along with the olive oil (quality is very variable LOL) and this has been the case for millenia.

Aubergines, zucchini, onions, garlic, citrus fruit, figs, pomegranates, grapes, melons, almonds, capers, chillies and thyme honey are common. Apples and peaches and apricots and nectarines too if water is easily accessible. Wild herbs that are extremely high in antioxidants such as thyme, oregano, rosemary and sage are used liberally.

Apart from the red wine, 'Mountain' or 'Shepherds' tea is the drink of choice, steeped from the plant Sideritis, along with Sage tea, both served with a teaspoon of honey and recognised as highly beneficial to health. Coffee (made in the Turkish style) is a relative newcomer and still often a "luxury" item. Greeks have developed the art of making a tiny espresso sized cup last for hours.

The rich dishes like pastitsio and moussaka up until recently have been 'special occasion' food. The ubiquitous chips served with every meal in tavernas have been adopted for the tourist palette and are now creeping into family diets as well, along with souvlaki and gyros. Obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure are now becoming relatively common for the first time (and not simply due to lack of diagnosis previously).

It has been fascinating observing this. With absorbtion into the EU and relatively new 'wealth' in the last few decades (bringing with it massive changes in diet), I suspect I am seeing the last generation to almost exclusively live off the land in Greece.

Staying on topic , none of the 'old' diet required the use of any refrigeration. As cruisers we could benefit taking a 'leaf out of their book' when it comes to this, as well as adopting the Greek philosophy that happiness is very simple and easily within reach. It just needs "a glass of wine and the sound of the sea" .

Of interest to me, in a recently abandoned hillside town dating back to the middle ages, a few days ago I came across a dozen olive grinding stones like this (only an Aussie was mad enough to climb and explore the area under the hot August sun so I had the place to myself ). The olives would have been crushed using a donkey tied to the stone and lead around and around. An age old technique:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	65387  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:46   #210

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...han-200-years/
the link above is to the Smithsonian. I think we can believe them.

Tags
food, refrigeration

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: