Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 18:15   #151
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Just checked this site out. Lot's of freeze dried food options:
Freeze Dried Food & Baking Ingredients | #1 in Storable Foods | Honeyvillegrain.com
Going to try some of the products myself even though I have refrigeration available on board.
__________________

__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:54   #152
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Boaties Mulligatawny

3 Tb spoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger and 1 of garlic, same again with ground cumin, coriander, 1/2 of chilli and garam masala..
6oz of red lentils, 3 diced potato's and carrots small tin sliced mushrooms, 3 chicken stock cubes and 2 pints water... 1 lemon, handful of chopped fresh or dried coriander.

Heat the oil in a pan, chuck in the ginger n garlic, couple of stirs then add the spices another quick stir and chuck in the veg.. add the lentils water and stock cubes and bring to the boil then simmer till lentils are very soft (45mins).. salt and pepper to taste... add the coriander and lemon juice stir well and serve with white rice or on its own... if you've access to fresh chicken breast slice and use that instead of the veg... or with...



__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:11   #153
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Posts: 347
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

It's simply amazing how much that sounds like it's going to be tomorrow night's supper.

Thank for the recipe Boatie
__________________
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:18   #154
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
It's simply amazing how much that sounds like it's going to be tomorrow night's supper.

Thank for the recipe Boatie
I prefer ghee... but its hard to get hold of in many places... half n half oil and butter gives it a richer flavour... forgot to say give the veg/chicken a quick sauté before adding the rest...
Bom Appitito...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:04   #155
Registered User
 
SVTatia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Posts: 817
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
...As to the original question, here's my take on food for the voyage, whether it's around the bay or around the world. Minimal refridgeration. Maybe just a freezer for fish, meats and a spill over for the beer. Dry good's, as in beans, rice, grains,(whole), dehydrated what have you. Oat meal, dryed fruit, raisins etc. canned meats, if thats the way you go.
Very good, I'm with you here. And you are right, any food that is white has been stripped of their nutrients.
__________________
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10   #156
Registered User
 
SVTatia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Posts: 817
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Just checked this site out. Lot's of freeze dried food options:
Freeze Dried Food & Baking Ingredients | #1 in Storable Foods | Honeyvillegrain.com
Going to try some of the products myself even though I have refrigeration available on board.
Thanks for the link. Lets us know your findings. I'll be interested in the sodium content (if any) of their products, as I am not sure what is the dehydration process.
__________________
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47   #157
Registered User
 
Live4boating's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hudson beach florida
Posts: 22
Emergency essentials catalog at beprepared.com has a lot of freeze dried and dehydrated food. We have a 28' camper we like to stock with emergency supplies in case we have to evacuate for a hurricane. We have about a 2 month supply stored in every cubby hole we can find in the camper. We have tried a lot of the food and its really good. Just don't buy mre's! They taste terrible and have a shorter shelf life in the heat. They are also a great source for all kinds of items you could use for "boondocking".
__________________
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20   #158
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,042
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

I'm curious if there are any full-time cruisers who dry their own food. I've been drying food for years. You can dry just about anything, and if done correctly, produces top quality, nutritious and excellent tasting food. Best of all, it can keep for years with little decline in quality.

We are moving on board full time next year. As a way of keeping costs down I'm thinking by dehydrating foods while underway so we can be quite strategic with our restocking. Hit a marina for a short time, buy in-bulk when stuff comes in season. Dry it, and then get out.

Anyone doing this?
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:05   #159
Registered User
 
SVTatia's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Posts: 817
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...We are moving on board full time next year. As a way of keeping costs down I'm thinking by dehydrating foods while underway so we can be quite strategic with our restocking. Hit a marina for a short time, buy in-bulk when stuff comes in season. Dry it, and then get out.

Anyone doing this?
That's an idea I would also like to find out abut. Can you provide some hints on the process on a boat? Can you do it without the electrical equipment?
__________________
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:45   #160
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Boaties Mulligatawny

3 Tb spoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon chopped ginger and 1 of garlic, same again with ground cumin, coriander, 1/2 of chilli and garam masala..
6oz of red lentils, 3 diced potato's and carrots small tin sliced mushrooms, 3 chicken stock cubes and 2 pints water... 1 lemon, handful of chopped fresh or dried coriander.

Heat the oil in a pan, chuck in the ginger n garlic, couple of stirs then add the spices another quick stir and chuck in the veg.. add the lentils water and stock cubes and bring to the boil then simmer till lentils are very soft (45mins).. salt and pepper to taste... add the coriander and lemon juice stir well and serve with white rice or on its own... if you've access to fresh chicken breast slice and use that instead of the veg... or with...
Feedback:
Lovely flavour! I made this today .
No mushrooms on board, so I sautéed two sliced onions with the garlic and ginger. I also added a tsp of whole cumin to the other spices (this is always yummy with potato) and added a teaspoon of turmeric too (stopped it looking anaemic).

After it started simmering I covered it and brought it to pressure, turned it off and left it for a few hours to let it finish cooking slowly and for the flavours to develop. Yummmmmm (even without the fresh coriander)

So it's a great boat dish with no refrigerated or tinned items and little gas used or heat generated .
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:17   #161
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,226
Images: 2
pirate Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Feedback:
Lovely flavour! I made this today .
No mushrooms on board, so I sautéed two sliced onions with the garlic and ginger. I also added a tsp of whole cumin to the other spices (this is always yummy with potato) and added a teaspoon of turmeric too (stopped it looking anaemic).

After it started simmering I covered it and brought it to pressure, turned it off and left it for a few hours to let it finish cooking slowly and for the flavours to develop. Yummmmmm (even without the fresh coriander)

So it's a great boat dish with no refrigerated or tinned items and little gas used or heat generated .
Nice one...
Glad you enjoyed it... I tend to try and tame things down a tad as my taste is often a bit to fiery for a lot of folks... I usually chuck in small green chilli's as well with the ends cross nicked... gives the flavour but not the 'heat'... so I can blow my mouth away happily without being sadistic to others...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:37   #162
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,373
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm curious if there are any full-time cruisers who dry their own food. I've been drying food for years. You can dry just about anything, and if done correctly, produces top quality, nutritious and excellent tasting food. Best of all, it can keep for years with little decline in quality.

We are moving on board full time next year. As a way of keeping costs down I'm thinking by dehydrating foods while underway so we can be quite strategic with our restocking. Hit a marina for a short time, buy in-bulk when stuff comes in season. Dry it, and then get out.

Anyone doing this?
I've dried fish (jerky) on board with only the sun. All you need is cookie drying racks and a drip pan or foil.... and a hot sun. (of course brine)
I have no reason to suspect the sun wouldnt work for tomatoes, fruits etc also.
Dried food has amazing flavor. Of course real dehydrated cane juice is the only suger to have IMO. Alot different that beet sugar or corn syrup for sure. Originally Coca Cola used real sugar, now ... corn syrup...
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 16:28   #163
Registered User
 
Krogensailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Naples Fl
Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Posts: 355
Images: 13
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Anyone doing this? ________________Hi Mike, I have a couple of dehydrators in use. One large and one small. We dry all kinds of food. I like snacks, we dehyd thin slices of various veggies and spray them with a product called Braggs, has no sodium. As far as electrical needs there is only a small fan in the dehydrator. I plan to take the small one with us when we move aboard. They do sell, or you could easily make a solar dehydrator.
__________________
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 17:47   #164
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,060
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm curious if there are any full-time cruisers who dry their own food. I've been drying food for years. You can dry just about anything, and if done correctly, produces top quality, nutritious and excellent tasting food. Best of all, it can keep for years with little decline in quality.

We are moving on board full time next year. As a way of keeping costs down I'm thinking by dehydrating foods while underway so we can be quite strategic with our restocking. Hit a marina for a short time, buy in-bulk when stuff comes in season. Dry it, and then get out.

Anyone doing this?
I can only get it to work in low humidity. When the air is moist everything goes moldy super fast. If there is a way in humid conditions I haven't figured it yet.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 20:47   #165
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,042
Re: What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration?

I've never dried anything on the boat yet, but will be doing so next year when we move on board full time. On land I use a home-built dryer similar to this; basically it's a big box with multiple wracks and a low-temp heating element. The heat keeps the air dry, and keeps it moving.

I'm building a solar dehydrator using the plans from Sailing the Farm, but for serious bulk drying I'm thinking something like this version might be worth the space. Again, the idea would be to target areas when produce comes in-season. Buy in bulk. Tie to a dock for a week drying food, then get the heck back out.
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, refrigeration

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Release Dinghy for MOB shorebird General Sailing Forum 13 26-01-2012 08:00
Help with Refrigeration Decisions . . . Beersmith Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 48 22-12-2011 20:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.