Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2013, 14:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: What do you Have Stored in your Galley

As an aside, I suggest you remove galley drawers and see if there is wasted space behind them. Because hulls curve but some ships carpenters simply put in a standard bank of drawers all the same length, space in back of drawers is often large enough for storage. I call this "dead" storage and put things in heavy duty plastic bags, then forget them until supplies are running low.

Old 15-02-2013, 15:26   #17

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

No way would I travel without the microwave. Its great to not have to put as much heat into the area down below, quick, and good bread storage when it is not in use. Also, we only carry two 6lb propane tanks so do everything we can to extend the refill time. We have an electric tea kettle to heat water and use the microwave whenever we can.

Old 15-02-2013, 15:29   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

saucy and yŠll--i dont hooligan my environment--i re use my plasticware--one purchase lasts me over one full year. i use my paper plates--the real kind that self destruct...not plastic or funkyfoam that doesnt ever break down...
i only went to plastic after 4 sets of alleged stainless ware rusted to death--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:49   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
My plastic something plates came with the boat years ago. No waste. If its better fir you to buy crap and throw it away then you can explain it better then me.
Seems like cheap durable plates that last years/ever beat throwing stuff into a landfill. I use catering quality forks and knives. They don't rust.
Old 16-02-2013, 10:15   #20

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U

Enjoying this thread. I'm a fan of The Boat Galley too.

I concur with others who discuss electrical draw. Will you have a conventional propane stove? I couldn't tell from your drawing. If you do, with a simple baking pan insert, you can easily and effectively toast bread or bagels under the broiler without a toaster or toasted oven.

I bought a 16 piece set of Rapid Chef pots and pans with removable handles that all nest into one another. The set comes with plastic lids fitting all the pots so they double as mixing bowls/leftover storage. +1 on the hand stick blender.

My stove top espresso maker is essential gear for me as is my small battery driven frother from IKEA ($1.50). My day's gotta start with a Latte. On that front, I buy small boxes of shelf stable milk or soymilk and cut down on the need for refrigeration.

Lots more to say, but I'll end with a design tip: think about installing an above sink dish drain in the cabinet above the sink like they have in many European countries as it cuts down on counter clutter. After you wash the dishes, you just pop them in the drain to drip dry and leave them there for storage. It just requires you to cut a hole in the bottom of that cabinet and install a dish drain. I got mine from IKEA. I'll post a link to pictures if folks would like.
Old 16-02-2013, 11:00   #21

Boat: Endeavour 42
I have a microwave, I use it to store my nesting pot and pan set.
Old 16-02-2013, 11:07   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: what do you have stored in your galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I just looked through the galley drawers to see what you're missing. According to my inventory, you should also have:
* 3 brass locks, with assorted keys that don't appear to fit locks
* spanner tool for tank inlets
* 2 cans Bon Ami cleanser
* toy mouse for cat
* hair brush for cat
* hat retainer
* 2 sunglasses retainers
* sail pre-feeder
* pack of sharpie markers
* 1/4" fid
* marlinspike
* submersible dive light
* rescue whistle
* spray bottle of Wine Away stain remover
* monkey fist key chain
* kayak Santa Christmas ornament
* fuse kit
* sharpening stone
* the ratcheting screw driver Wonderblond keeps stealing from my toolbox
* 2 Yanmar keys
* Canal plaque from Stratford-upon-Avon
* brass plaque inscribed "Marriages performed by the Captain are good for the duration of this voyage only."
thats great! I love it....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 11:18   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OP: some thoughts.
*Have one large cabinet door. (usually under sink access) Make a shelf on the door (inside) to hold your plastic garbage bin. Swing the door out and there's your bin.
* other swing doors can hold those pesky pan lids; just screw a piece of leather strap making a horizontal "belt" and slide the pan lid in from the top against the door. No more rattling around trying to find those lids!
* These Melamine nesting bowls are great, they clean easy, have rubber no-slip ring on the bottom and are cheap. ($15)
*a microwave can be handy to heat a cup of water for cofee or tea etc in the tropics without heating the boat up. You dont need a big one though for that.
*I prefer one large ss sink for room to clean a frying pan or to fillet a fish etc. (as opposed to a double sink) You can always leave a plastic dish wash tub in half of it.

Old 16-02-2013, 11:29   #24

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
My boat life is far closer to camping than this crowd, so my opinion isn't really important. But I'm really curious what source of electricity the OP will be using. Unless you're a Marina-only person, I guess you'll be running a generator?
Old 16-02-2013, 11:33   #25

Boat: Seafarer 34 Sloop

1 deep pot
1 sauce pan
1 frying pan
1 coffee pot
1 serrated knife
4 forlk
4 spoons
4 butter knives
2 tupperware boxes
various canned food stuffs, progresso soups mostly
ramen noodles
spagetti and gravy
raviolli and gravey
20# bag of jasmin rice
canned fruits of various denominations
ritz
coffee
canned evaporated milk

I could have more stuff, but why bother. simple is best. Long as I have my expresso and smokes, I'm good. Besides, lost 20 lbs so far, gettin there!
I've managed so far 4 months with just that.
Old 16-02-2013, 11:40   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
My boat life is far closer to camping than this crowd, so my opinion isn't really important. But I'm really curious what source of electricity the OP will be using. Unless you're a Marina-only person, I guess you'll be running a generator?
an invertor runs the microwave fine. handy for a drill/drill charging and vacuum cleaner too. etc.

Old 16-02-2013, 12:24   #27

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahh maybe I missed it but wheres your pressure cooker ?? Ya can cook a big meal for 3 or 4 folks on a single burner with a pressure cooker. Most every cruiser I ever met that stayed out more then weekends has and uses a pressure cooker. Just athought ! We also think a microwave is a good thing and a inverter runs ours fine !!
Old 16-02-2013, 18:42   #28

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
an invertor runs the microwave fine. handy for a drill/drill charging and vacuum cleaner too. etc.
But only for a little while. You gotta recharge those batteries, and it's gonna be a butt load of solar to meet all those needs. That's why I was asking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it CAN'T be done...just wondering at what cost.
Old 17-02-2013, 11:28   #29

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U
Oh, and since it would be imprudent to bring the decanter aboard, a Vinturi wine aerator is a must!
Old 17-02-2013, 15:51   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

I learned a valuable lesson a few years ago and I think it has some relevance.

I'm a devoted cook and gourmand. While never a gadget freak in the kitchen, I acquired over the years as much equipment as our comfortably large kitchen would reasonably accommodate. Some of them were gifts, such as the mandolin from my wife and the constant stream of various items that my sister, a professional chef, proclaimed as "must haves."

Two years ago we moved to a smaller house, closer into town, and I renovated the kitchen and part of the first floor. With lots of windows we ended up with only one overcounter cabinet, which suited me fine as I expected to die in that house and did not want to be reaching up at 85 to put plates away. When we moved I put "things I know I will use" in one set of boxes and "stuff I occasionally use" in another set.

I've yet to reach for anything in that second set and have found that many things are just tools for simplifying tasks that are already pretty simple.

Don't duplicate. Do you really need an electric can opener when a manual one is smaller, more reliable, and uses less of a precious resource?

Select versatile tools. Do you really need a paring knife when you can use a non-serrated steak knife?

Nest. Many kitchen items are hollow and make perfect containers for other items. Once you have it organized you'll know where everything is and what seems like a PITA of fishing things out of bowls will just come second nature.

Adjust your expectations. Simplify. Yes, you can prepare gourmet meals on a boat, but they will be different gourmet meals than you are used to. Cassoulet? Nah, a more primitive but delicious one-pot stew can be had for a tenth of the effort.

Half the fun of cooking on a boat is being creative and embracing simplicity. Besides as a friend of mine once said with a huge *$&# eating grin on his face "Man, everything tastes better on a boat."

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: