Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 07:32   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
for me it is more important what i eat in my galley not do i have golden taps and most expensive cutlery sets. i know some people who have five star galeys in their boats and they are still eating baked beans from the tins or noodles in the pot.
+1 Some don't even warm those beans!

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 18:57   #77

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mates. Can live without the cuppa's, pancakes and roasts on this boat. Recently cooked a 7.5 pound chicken in the 5 quart pressure cooker. P.S. The Force 10 is 14 years old and has served us well. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	36266  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:20   #78

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Looks like Lolarose learned to cook in Louisiana LOL looks like my galley aboard and at Home LOl Bob and Connie (yummm nothing like a few Oysters to start a meal off )
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:52   #79

I am interested in finding out about the French Coffee Press do you use that because of saving of electricity? I have never used one before and am sure he would not be able to maneuver one of these is it hard to retrain someone? I am laughing about this...sort of like can I teach an old dog new trick...what can I use for the motivation to get him to try. I think I might like to use this even in the kitchen and want to prepare for our smaller galley. Any tricks to this process? I am a bit intimidated about the grinds.
waterlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:04   #80

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Waterlily!
We love our french press, which is the 48 oz. thermal insulated kind, because it makes excellent coffee and keeps it hot for hours. But there's one BIG caveat: People who cannot stand any sediment in coffee will not like the french press. Otherwise it's "good to the next to last drop."
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:23   #81

I just got a French Press do not think it is insulated guess I should have thought about that, and I am not sure this makes enough coffee may have gotten one that is too small. I guess I will have to experiment. I tried it the coffee seems fine. I do not think the grounds got into it, maybe they are at the bottom. Thanks
waterlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 10:20   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
I just got a French Press do not think it is insulated guess I should have thought about that, and I am not sure this makes enough coffee may have gotten one that is too small. I guess I will have to experiment. I tried it the coffee seems fine. I do not think the grounds got into it, maybe they are at the bottom. Thanks

I bought a small single French Press unit (I think at Starbucks). Works well just put some ground coffee beans in and fill it with hot water. Then put in the screen plunger/cover push it down slightly let it steep a few minutes before pushing down it all the way. I use a small fine nylon screen filter when pouring into the cup. BTW I occassionally have crew onboard who does not like strong coffee (more like colored water I say). But, I don't want no jittery crew on board either so I make another cup with the same grounds and he's pretty happy with that.
Old 23-01-2012, 11:04   #83
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
...so I make another cup with the same grounds and he's pretty happy with that.
brrrrrr

Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:33   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
brrrrrr

Nick.
Yeah, I know but, I can't complain as it saves on me having to provision more coffee than needed. The crew is happy (and not jittery) and the Captain is happy and has less grounds to dispose of.
Old 23-01-2012, 12:40   #85

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Just got some corelle plates and bowls for xmas... I've seen these things dropped on bare tile floors without breaking (and they're cheap). Been using disposable plasticware until now. seems like the plasticware would be good for underway. Not much sitting at the table and eating underway anyway (or so I'm imagining). More probable meals will be eaten from bowls on laps
Been in the hardware business for a number of generations here. I can remember about forty-five years ago my mother was pitching a customer on Corelle dishes (they were recent inventions at the time). Her common ploy was to drop the dish on the floor - the customer was a bit surprised and this often sold the dishes. On the other hand, there was that one time she dropped a dish and it broke in two . . . quick recovery, "Well, they are almost unbreakable".

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:57   #86

Boat: Tartan 30
French pressed coffee doesn't contain sediment if you grind the coffee coarse enough. So a good burr grinder is important. Insulated Presses are best because it keeps the brewing temperature. A tea kettle heats the water to just under 200F, which is the optimal brewing temp. It's best to let it brew for about 3 minutes to extract all the flavor without letting it get bitter. So the temp drops fairly significantly in 3 minutes in a non-insulated press.

I love mine, it's a 20 ounce press, which gives me a perfect 16oz mug of coffee every morning. I'd like to have a bigger one for company, but it's not a big deal to wait 10 minutes for a second cup..
Manual grinder and a press, no electricity, perfect coffee. Whole beans stay fresh longer than pre-ground.. Lots of pluses

Search YouTube for how-to vids. But keep it simple.. Alot of people get out of control with measuring and timing everything perfectly. Just heat the water, grind the beans, fill the press, stir it around, put the lid on (to retain the heat), wait 2.5-3 minutes, press, and serve
Old 23-01-2012, 12:59   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
yeah, those collapsible bowls and silicone bake ware are wonderful. Take little space and act as buffers/rattle stoppers between the metal stuff.

I always admired a girl who had a lot of silicone!
Old 23-01-2012, 13:44   #88
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I always admired a girl who had a lot of silicone!
but... collapsible??

And to get back on topic - I also find French coffee press very convenient. In warmer climates insulated or not does not seem to matter much..
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 13:48   #89

Galley:

4 burner stove with grille - we do sometimes use all 4 burners- 2 sinks, hot and cold running water, plenty of storage, china plates and cups, we even have some crystal glasses, although use polycarbonate tumblers for everyday, soda stream, breadmaker, yoghurt maker... we eat at least as well aboard as we did on land. Better in fact - less fast food.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 13:56   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

THAT is a sweet galley! but it looks like a new boat that has never been used; where’s all the junk?

Tags
galley