Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 18:25   #166

Boat: 32ft 1978 center cockpit O'Day
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

[QUOTE=River Cruiser;849150]I have a seaward electric 3 burner stove with oven & do on occasion use all 3, bacon, eggs & hash browns. I have a toaster oven that gets used every day, meatloaf, casseroles even pot pies. Breakfast has always been my main meal of the day sandwich or pot pie for lunch & sometimes dinner to. I use a crockpot for roasts, soups, ham & beans. Have a micro with exhaust fan above the stove, I use the fan & store stuff in the micro. I also have a Breadmaker that has a small footprint & makes 1 lb. loaves & a electric table top grill that does a excellent job on steaks & burgers. The only pans I have is a 10 year old set from WM the handles come off & there are plastic lids that snap on to save left overs, also a couple of sauté pans for omlets. The boat has a built in blender I've used maybe twice. No tea kettle, I just run water thru the coffee maker to make tea. I've thought about converting to propane but I need to run the gen when i'am out to charge batteries so might as well be cooking. One other necessity is good knives.[/QUOTE

Where do you have you toaster oven? Is it on the dounter or built in? If it is built in, do
you have trouble with the heat that it emits? Thinking of getting one and putting on a shelf in a cabinet but worried about the heat.
beachlvr0168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 18:40   #167

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I keep it on the wetbar counter, used to have it on the galley counter next to the stove. It has never been a problem in either place. Many dinners come out of the toaster oven, never use the oven on the stove any more. I have not used it as much in the last month because of the triple digit temps around here.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 10:19   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress

We use stainless steel tumblers from Thermos ( http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-DF4000...ds=thermos+mug ) which are great because they keep the tea hot for hours even in Winter, they don't spill when knocked, and hang easily on all sorts of places, such as grab rails, pushpit rails, lockers etc.

To personalise them we use permanent pen to draw silly pictures, like a sun, a flower, a boat etc. For longer passages we also stick a little duct tape on there, so crew can label it with their preference, ie: C+M+2S, or T+M.

They work for us!!

Also, for the occasional cool drink, we have IKEA plastic glasses for kids ( http://www.ikea.com.kw/en/all-depart...category_id=49 ) with lids from Pringles for when they are left unattended!

How funny & important. Now I'm going out to buy Pringles to see if the lids fit my glasses-not Ikea but Target-but am hoping the lids may fit! And love the drawing on duct tape with your coffee/tea preference.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 17:43   #169

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We have a VitaMix for smoothies (almost every day) and a Delta H2O Touch faucet.
It sounds decadent, but that faucet saves a lot of water when doing dishes.
Set the lever for temp, wash dish, touch to rinse, touch again to shut off.
9959-AR-DST Trinsic Single Handle Pull-Down Bar/Prep Faucet : Kitchen Products : Delta Faucet
We got it for about $250, but it was worth every penny.
The Spectra thanks me too.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 14:55   #170

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

I just bought this french press...came today...tested....very good cup of coffee...no grinds...under 5 minutes..no electricity...perfect...

Customer Image Gallery for Thermos Nissan 34-Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless-Steel Gourmet Coffee Press
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37   #171
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I use a stovetop perk with disc filters...also no electricity or grounds. I like cream in my coffee but have no refrigeration...most non-dairy creamers taste like flavoured chalk dust. I have found an acceptable compromise for creamer that doesn't need refrigeration...Bailiey's Irish Cream
Old 04-08-2012, 13:15   #172

Boat: Hunter 340

The french press does deliver a great cup of coffee but I just can't deal with the mess of coffee grounds early in the morning! How do you manage?
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 13:26   #173

Boat: Tartan 30

I just rinse the FP out into the sink and wash it down. Takes about 10 seconds...
Old 04-08-2012, 15:24   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
The french press does deliver a great cup of coffee but I just can't deal with the mess of coffee grounds early in the morning! How do you manage?
I just think.....well i could be at my pet grooming shop cleaning up dog poop first thing in the morning....then alittle bit of coffee grinds doesnt seem like such a big deal! Lol
Old 04-08-2012, 15:29   #175

Does anyone have this? I just ordered it but hasnt come yet

Amazon.com: GSI Outdoors Vortex Blender
Old 04-08-2012, 15:44   #176

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Does anyone have this? I just ordered it but hasnt come yet

Amazon.com: GSI Outdoors Vortex Blender
Never seen that one, but I've used a few GSI products before, including their coffee press and grinder. I'd say they make good products and I would expect it to function properly and have a long lifespan.

However, I wouldn't expect making fruit smoothies and pina coladas to be 'easy' in a hand crank blender. Might be better off just eating the fruit and drinking the rum with coconut water
Old 04-08-2012, 16:01   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Never seen that one, but I've used a few GSI products before, including their coffee press and grinder. I'd say they make good products and I would expect it to function properly and have a long lifespan.

However, I wouldn't expect making fruit smoothies and pina coladas to be 'easy' in a hand crank blender. Might be better off just eating the fruit and drinking the rum with coconut water
Well...of course the slick marketing says its very easy to crush ice and make smoothies....we shall see....
Old 04-08-2012, 16:18   #178

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Well...of course the slick marketing says its very easy to crush ice and make smoothies....we shall see....
Our VitaMix AC load makes the inverter draw about 62 amps at 12 volts while making a smoothie.
Of course, it only takes about 30 seconds, but do the math re: how much effort you will have to put into cranking the hand operated one for a smoothie.
I'll bet you will work up a sweat as well as a pair of biceps.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:47   #179

I have found this useful, bought it at the boat show:

Boatblender.com - convert your drill into a fully functional portable battery powered blender!
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 16:52   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Our VitaMix AC load makes the inverter draw about 62 amps at 12 volts while making a smoothie.
Of course, it only takes about 30 seconds, but do the math re: how much effort you will have to put into cranking the hand operated one for a smoothie.
I'll bet you will work up a sweat as well as a pair of biceps.
Well thats just it.....i like to work up a sweat...thats just me. I workout rigorously....daily....and ive already got the guns....dont want to loose them when theres no gym in sight....lol

Tags
galley