Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 05:30   #106

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf-robert View Post
Been in the hardware business for a number of generations here. I can remember about forty-five years ago my mother was pitching a customer on Corelle dishes (they were recent inventions at the time). Her common ploy was to drop the dish on the floor - the customer was a bit surprised and this often sold the dishes. On the other hand, there was that one time she dropped a dish and it broke in two . . . quick recovery, "Well, they are almost unbreakable".

Robert
I dropped a Corelle plate on the teak cabin sole on our previous boat. It exploded into a million ultra-tiny slivers and shards. Those very sharp slivers were everywhere -- spread through the main saloon, the forward cabin and even inside one of the heads and also up in the rims of the sideports and way over on the nav table. Even after we had cleaned thoroughly we still found pieces weeks later....usually cutting into our feet or hands in areas least expected. Wish it had simply 'broke in two.'

For our current boat we have the typical plastic Galleyware. But we also have Corelle because we never eat anything that requires cutting on the Galleyware because knives ruin those plastic plates rather quickly. Steak and any whole pieces of meat or fish are served on Corelle plates; only soft foods are served on the Galleyware plates.

The Galleyware bowls are used all the time because they have such substantial rubber anti-slip rings on the bases.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:38   #107
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

This is gonna sound silly, but we have Wedgwood China aboard. We had the set before living aboard and decided to bring it along instead of selling it at considerable loss. In the past 9 years we did not break a single item and that includes two hurricanes, one of which threw us with the spreaders into the water at both sides.

What I hate about Corelle is that it doesn't work in the microwave.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:45   #108

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This is gonna sound silly, but we have Wedgwood China aboard. We had the set before living aboard and decided to bring it along instead of selling it at considerable loss. In the past 9 years we did not break a single item and that includes two hurricanes, one of which threw us with the spreaders into the water at both sides.

What I hate about Corelle is that it doesn't work in the microwave.

ciao!
Nick.
Why do you think Corelle does not work in the microwave? It is totally microwavable. My Galleyware can be microwaved for only 1 minute. The Corelle can be microwaved for as long as you might want or need. It is great for heating soup the microwave in individual Corelle bowls or leftovers on plates. Heck, there are even Corelle microwavable 'baking' dishes; just as safe in the microwave as Pyrex.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 05:48   #109

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
No worrries but no need to stand guard at the stove they are completely safe although apparently a lot of people are a bit scared of them. Don't understand how you can cook something for 5 - 6 hours and use 10 minutes of fuel unless I have misunderstood you. Pressure cooking for 45 minutes for a large roast is on a low stove setting using very little fuel as you turn the stove right down once the cooker comes up to pressure.
Yeah I understand, and I really like PC's (just haven't got around to using my yet). Was just answering the question

See posts on thermal cookers for using 10min of fuel to cook a 5-6 hour meal (even potroast).
Old 24-01-2012, 05:56   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Why do you think Corelle does not work in the microwave?
Because I'm stupid and mixed it up with the Melamine bowls we have.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 24-01-2012, 06:25   #111

Boat: C&C 38'

Nick, I thought that we were not to call anyone stupid on this forum! Be nice. If you are not nice to yourself how can you expect anyone else to be nice to you?
Old 24-01-2012, 07:22   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
Nick, I thought that we were not to call anyone stupid on this forum! Be nice. If you are not nice to yourself how can you expect anyone else to be nice to you?
Believe me, "stupid" is nice compared to what some call me now and then

ciao!
Nick.
Old 24-01-2012, 08:58   #113

Boat: Virgo Voyager 23' / Steady 8' dinghy
Send a message via Skype™ to Skipper Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
hmmm.. my yearning for pizza has been growing stronger lately. please, tell me more
what is it exactly?
It's called Omnia ( Omnia Sweden: Home ). Looks like a pot, works like a conventional oven with over/under-heat. It can be used on several heat sources; gas, alcohol, electric, top of boat engine*, ... I haven't actually used it yet, so cannot endorse it from experience. Looks foolproof, though. The Omnia site has a link to retailers. Lots of web retailers sell it.

* Disclaimer: It doesn't mention this option in the blurb. Doubt if the engine produces enough (concentrated) heat to actually cook something. But if you're out of convential options, then necessity is the mother, plus waste not want not etc.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:42   #114

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I dropped a Corelle plate on the teak cabin sole on our previous boat. It exploded into a million ultra-tiny slivers and shards. Those very sharp slivers were everywhere -- spread through the main saloon, the forward cabin and even inside one of the heads and also up in the rims of the sideports and way over on the nav table. Even after we had cleaned thoroughly we still found pieces weeks later....usually cutting into our feet or hands in areas least expected. Wish it had simply 'broke in two.'

For our current boat we have the typical plastic Galleyware. But we also have Corelle because we never eat anything that requires cutting on the Galleyware because knives ruin those plastic plates rather quickly. Steak and any whole pieces of meat or fish are served on Corelle plates; only soft foods are served on the Galleyware plates.

The Galleyware bowls are used all the time because they have such substantial rubber anti-slip rings on the bases.

Judy
I agree. I purchased an 8 place setting when I moved into my town house. So far I've had 3 bowls and two plates explode into shards. They were all dropped onto vinyl flooring over particle board. My brother dropped on of the plates last week, and I'm still finding splinters. I have decided that when I finally move aboard, the Corelle will go to the Salvation Army.

As for whats in my galley?

At the moment I'm not even sure where it will be rebuilt. I may shift it forward to the front of the main cabin. But once it's in I'll put in a 2 burner stove with oven, a 10-12 cu foot icebox/cooler. I will bring along my pressure cooker, as I like to can stuff, and a minimum of pots n pans. The dishes will be something other than corelle.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:41   #115

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai

I agree. I purchased an 8 place setting when I moved into my town house. So far I've had 3 bowls and two plates explode into shards. They were all dropped onto vinyl flooring over particle board. My brother dropped on of the plates last week, and I'm still finding splinters. I have decided that when I finally move aboard, the Corelle will go to the Salvation Army.

As for whats in my galley?

At the moment I'm not even sure where it will be rebuilt. I may shift it forward to the front of the main cabin. But once it's in I'll put in a 2 burner stove with oven, a 10-12 cu foot icebox/cooler. I will bring along my pressure cooker, as I like to can stuff, and a minimum of pots n pans. The dishes will be something other than corelle.
I had a corelle plate drop into the steel bilge about 5 feet and not break. I was expecting bits everywhere but they work for me. Maybe your vinyl floor is harder than my steel bilge?
Smiles
Coachbolt
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 15:52   #116

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Haven't read the whole thread, but the best thing I ever bought was the stern-rail propane cooker. Makes ordinary meats taste great if you marinate them overnight. We sometimes put in the marinade before we freeze the meat and then when it thaws out it is ready to go. It's also a great way to do fresh caught fish. Plus it keeps a ton of heat, smoke, and smells out of the boat when it's really hot, and it gives you a backup if for some reason the stove is out of order. In the summer in New England I would guess that about 90% of our evening meals involve something cooked on the grill.
Old 24-01-2012, 16:17   #117

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

something like a pot roast or a piece of corned silverside?
Don't know if corned silverside is available in USA? Imagine we aussies got our liking for it from our pommie heritage.

Reminds me of a recent situation with my mother-in-law. She is a great cook herself but living alone doesn't normally cook it. It is a low cost meat usually eaten hot when cooked with white onion sause, mashed potatoes and vegies initally and subsequently left overs used for kids, work sandwitches and corned beef fritters. No waste.

Anyhow she took a trip north from Mackay visiting with her brother in Tully and sister in Cairns.

Ist night with with brother corned beef, them his nextdoor neighbour in Tully invited them over for meal the next night- corn beef again.

Next evening staying with her wealthy sister in Penthouse at Cairns waterfront again corn beef . This time it was initally cooked then basted with marmalade baste and finished in an oven. Gormet version of a cheap cut. Seems a coincidence but must the the in cut at present in NQ.

May be in sympathy with the hard times tourism industry there is going through.

Corned Beef With Peppercorn White Sauce Recipe - Taste.com.au
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corned beef.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	36414  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:41   #118

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
See posts on thermal cookers for using 10min of fuel to cook a 5-6 hour meal (even potroast).
I took your advice and looked up Thermal Cookers as I was not familiar with them. They look really good as well & would really complement a pressure cooker then one could do fast & slow cooking.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:47   #119

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Don't know if corned silverside is available in USA? Imagine we aussies got our liking for it from our pommie heritage.

Reminds me of a recent situation with my mother-in-law. She is a great cook herself but living alone doesn't normally cook it. It is a low cost meat usually eaten hot when cooked with white onion sause, mashed potatoes and vegies initally and subsequently left overs used for kids, work sandwitches and corned beef fritters. No waste.

Anyhow she took a trip north from Mackay visiting with her brother in Tully and sister in Cairns.

Ist night with with brother corned beef, them his nextdoor neighbour in Tully invited them over for meal the next night- corn beef again.

Next evening staying with her wealthy sister in Penthouse at Cairns waterfront again corn beef . This time it was initally cooked then basted with marmalade baste and finished in an oven. Gormet version of a cheap cut. Seems a coincidence but must the the in cut at present in NQ.

May be in sympathy with the hard times tourism industry there is going through.

Corned Beef With Peppercorn White Sauce Recipe - Taste.com.au
Ha good story. I reckon your MIL will not be hanging out for corned beef anytime soon.

Corned beef is very common in the USA, I suspect corned silverside being just the name us Aussies give to the cut of meat our butchers use. Maybe they use a different cut of meat or call it something different in the US.

I used to live in Chicago & the corned beef I used to get at restaurants over there was some of the best I have ever had.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:50   #120

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

Ha good story. I reckon your MIL will not be hanging out for corned beef anytime soon.
Right on. I had some monday night.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley