Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 23:39   #61

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Our favorite pan is a medium size wok. You can cook almost anything in it and it's a perfect popcorn popper as all the unpopped kernels fall to the bottom as the popped corn rises. No unpopped corn! Just don't put in to much popcorn!
samara1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 19:17   #62

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3
Re: What do you have in your galley?

The thermal cooker sounds interesting. We have a small boat (Com-Pac 19 II) that we use for weekend (or sometimes longer) sails. We have a butane stove and we make our coffee with a coffee press. Being able to have a hot meal without lots of cooking time really appeals to us. Anyone else use the thermal cooker? Any suggestions or favorite recipes? What size do you recommend for two (considering that my husband is a hungry bear - nice, but hungry)?

Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 20:41   #63

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
The thermal cooker sounds interesting. We have a small boat (Com-Pac 19 II) that we use for weekend (or sometimes longer) sails. We have a butane stove and we make our coffee with a coffee press. Being able to have a hot meal without lots of cooking time really appeals to us. Anyone else use the thermal cooker? Any suggestions or favorite recipes? What size do you recommend for two (considering that my husband is a hungry bear - nice, but hungry)?

Brenda
I never really looked for thermal cooker recipes before, but a quick google shows some great resources and this blog is pretty interesting. This guy even makes bread in it!

I mainly use mine to make rice. Since I'm boiling water in the teapot every morning anyway and brown rice takes 45 minutes to cook normally. I pretty much don't eat rice unless I use the thermal cooker. Same thing with dried beans, but I make those less often (and they cook the same, so you can mix the two in the same pot and add seasonings or whatever).

Most mornings, my teapot water just gets poured into the coffee press, the bowl of oatmeal, and thermal cooker all at once, then the thermal cooker goes back on the flame for a few minutes to bring it back to a boil. Done... The rice is still hot and perfectly cooked when I get home from work.

But now that I see these recipes, I think I'll be trying a few

here's some thermal cooker recipes and stuff on youtube

As for size, I'd get a pretty small one. I think mine is 1qt and it's more than big enough for 2 large servings of whatever you're cooking.
Old 18-01-2012, 20:54   #64

PS: if you're just making rice or other simple things, you can do it just as well in a thermos. Also, I'd imagine any recipe for a pressure cooker can be adapted to a thermal cooker.
Old 19-01-2012, 04:00   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
PS: if you're just making rice or other simple things, you can do it just as well in a thermos. Also, I'd imagine any recipe for a pressure cooker can be adapted to a thermal cooker.
How do you do rice in a thermos?
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:28   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
How do you do rice in a thermos?
The concept is the same, but it's not as convenient.

You bring the rice to a boil in a pot, then pour all it into a thermos. It has to be a vacuum type of thermos. Then just let it cook for an hour or two.

The thermal cooker is much easier to use, since don't have to transfer to rice (or whatever) to another pot. You basically just drop the whole pot into the thermos.

I've used thermos cooking for backpacking a few times...Thats how I knew what the thermal was cooker when I found it at the thrift store. I used to make up whole meals in a ziplock bag of rice, lentils, dried meat and seasonings. Cook the whole thing with just a few minutes of boiling in the morning as I made my coffee and oatmeal (just as I do now) and throw it in my backpack. then I'd have a hot dinner already ready when it was time to make camp. works perfectly
Old 19-01-2012, 05:33   #67
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I used to make up whole meals in a ziplock bag of rice, lentils, dried meat and seasonings. Cook the whole thing with just a few minutes of boiling in the morning as I made my coffee and oatmeal (just as I do now) and throw it in my backpack. then I'd have a hot dinner already ready when it was time to make camp. works perfectly
There is no puke emoticon on this forum or I would have used it! It sounds even worse than what they gave me to eat in the army ! Dinner from boiled ziplock bags *puke* !!

Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 05:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There is no puke emoticon on this forum or I would have used it! It sounds even worse than what they gave me to eat in the army ! Dinner from boiled ziplock bags *puke* !!

Nick.
Its much better than prepackaged boil-in-a-bag meals, and it sure beats having a bear come into your camp to see what your cooking

PS: I lived on MRE's for 3 weeks after Katrina. I'll take lentils and rice any day, thank you
Old 19-01-2012, 06:03   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its much better than prepackaged boil-in-a-bag meals, and it sure beats having a bear come into your camp to see what your cooking

PS: I lived on MRE's for 3 weeks after Katrina. I'll take lentils and rice any day, thank you
Argh! You are supposed to shoot some hares or deer and grill them over the camp fire. Toss the bear one too if he decides to join!

Nick.
Old 19-01-2012, 06:07   #70

Quote:
I've used thermos cooking for backpacking a few times...Thats how I knew what the thermal was cooker when I found it at the thrift store. I used to make up whole meals in a ziplock bag of rice, lentils, dried meat and seasonings. Cook the whole thing with just a few minutes of boiling in the morning as I made my coffee and oatmeal (just as I do now) and throw it in my backpack. then I'd have a hot dinner already ready when it was time to make camp. works perfectly
That may need clarifying... when I said 'cook the whole thing and throw it in my backpack', I meant I pour the contents into a pot and bring it to a boil, then pour that into the thermos, and put the thermos in the backpack... I don't recommend boiling ziplock backs and storing them in a backpack
Old 19-01-2012, 06:12   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That may need clarifying... when I said 'cook the whole thing and throw it in my backpack', I meant I pour the contents into a pot and bring it to a boil, then pour that into the thermos, and put the thermos in the backpack... I don't recommend boiling ziplock backs and storing them in a backpack
haha! I've read things so crazy that I actually believed you boiled it inside the ziplock I have seen people boil rice in plastic bags and think it's normal....

ciao!
Nick.
Old 19-01-2012, 06:30   #72

This is a fun thread! I laughed about the ziplock bag, Jedi, but then I remembered there is Boil-in-a-bag rice. Never tried it though!

I love the idea of cooking the bean & rice mixture in a thermos. Does it get overdone & mushy by leaving it in all day? Is there a recipe for lentil & rice? Can you add tomatoes, herbs or broth? Lots of ideas!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:50   #73
cruiser

"what you have in your galey".

i have this in my galey.

for me it is more important what i eat in my galley not do i have golden taps and most expensive cutlery sets. i know some people who have five star galeys in their boats and they are still eating baked beans from the tins or noodles in the pot.

you can give to someone ( no names, political correctnes) the best galey in the world and this......

they vill still be eating "fish" and chips wrapped in evening standard, just put it on the plate......
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 06:55   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g
This is a fun thread! I laughed about the ziplock bag, Jedi, but then I remembered there is Boil-in-a-bag rice. Never tried it though!

I love the idea of cooking the bean & rice mixture in a thermos. Does it get overdone & mushy by leaving it in all day? Is there a recipe for lentil & rice? Can you add tomatoes, herbs or broth? Lots of ideas!
It doesn't overlook unless you use too much water. Once the water is absorbed, it stops cooking and just stays hot.. It takes a little trial and error to get it right.
Old 19-01-2012, 07:19   #75

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
"what you have in your galey".

i have this in my galey.

for me it is more important what i eat in my galley not do i have golden taps and most expensive cutlery sets. i know some people who have five star galeys in their boats and they are still eating baked beans from the tins or noodles in the pot.

you can give to someone ( no names, political correctnes) the best galey in the world and this......

they vill still be eating "fish" and chips wrapped in evening standard, just put it on the plate......

What's really sad here is that I still eat off of an upside down Frisbee on my Mac.

Guess I better follow this thread a little closer and start putting things in my galley. If the missus see this, I'm a dead man.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley