Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2012, 06:40   #151

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Yes - I have both text and a graphic on my mugs. An acquaintance found them for me. I've sent him a note asking for the original source.

Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:48   #152

Boat: Able 50

These look like the ones

10 oz diner mug - european white

Old 07-07-2012, 09:20   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Auspiciuos, again, thank you. Finding a source that can personalize the cups would be ideal.
Savoir, thank you for finding a low cost, and entirely satisfactory, option. I love this forum.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29   #154
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i have in my galley exactly that which i used to cook with in my land home before 1990. residing and camping aboard are different things entirely and i reside and sail---i think they call it cruising...i also fix my boat in exotic locations....locales to you snottier guys....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 22:26   #155

New boat owner here. I have stocked my galley with Corelle. I have a microwave that needs to be secured. 4 burner electric stove with oven. Full size refrigerator with freezer on top. Crock pot. A few magna lite pots and pans. We have a 60' Chris Craft. My husband says that our generators will run these things with no problems. Please inform me of anything that I need to know. We are looking to take our first cruise this fall. Leaving from Galveston and will follow the coast to key West. Then on to the Bahamas. I know nothing so tips are appreciated.
Old 18-07-2012, 23:32   #156
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The galley on my boat was poorly thought out and equally poorly equipped. After a bit of thought I started my modifications with a pry bar and sawz-all...I gutted it out completely. I now have 2'x4' of cumaroo counter on each side with a 28"x20"x3" cutting block across the aft end (the edge of which over hangs a 12"x21"double sink). The 2 burner stove a oven is on rails and stows under the counter. Cutler is in a shallow drawer under cutting block (with pots ad pans hanging below)....everything is easy o get old of and stays in place.....lots of food storage too.
Old 19-07-2012, 00:34   #157

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Suzybro, you'll need lots of plastic storage containers for anything that soaks up moisture.
2nd hand milk bottles are perfect, tough, and easy to stow. A bungee cord through the handles keeps them locked in place.
Great boat, but it's your job to make sure your escape to the lifeboat includes Water, Glucose, and rations for at least two weeks. Work out what will go in the lifeboat permanently, and recycle the rest every week so it stays fresh.
And make sure the back-up electronics, and radio are stored in there too.
Fire is the ONLY thing that requires a fast escape, it's no time to go below to grab a few essentials. You'll sleep better knowing you've done all you should have.
Old 20-07-2012, 14:38   #158

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat

Our 41' catamaran has galley down and spacious. Has microwave, 3 burner propane stove/oven, fridge and built-in chest style freeezer. double stainless sink.
Pressure cooker: don't use much maybe bkz it's too big (my fault) but works well and if you don't mind the steam (um, maybe I should do the release on the stern), worth having.
10" saute pan- use this all the time. Inexpensive one too.
Keurig single cup coffee maker for the Captain- fits perfectly in the space next to the microwave.
Tea kettle- buy a good one that won't rust. A heavier, lined one will also heat up quicker. Besides tea, I use it when I need hot water to wash/rinse dishes and can't make hot water due to not enough battery juice.
Plenty of Ziplocs, storage containers (Lock n' Lock are good)
Bamboo dish drying rack. I leave mine out all the time but it folds up and can be set aside.
Custard cups- you will find many uses for these.
Covered ice cube trays that stack
Fusionbrand's Ice Orb- multi uses- make ice, use it as a wine/beverage cooler, the center plastic container can be used for dip, etc.
Plenty of those pretty/witty/cute cocktail napkins
Good quality silicone baking pans
A cookie pan that fits in your oven and ideally with a silicone mat. Use it w/o the mat for baking granola and such.
Old fashioned 2 part metal broiler pan- I use it to keep the french toast or pancakes warm in the oven; as a second pan without the hole-y insert for baking that granola and as a cooling rack- for starters.
Opted not to have vac sealer and don't regret the decision
Good quality silicone mixing spoon and spatual (flat-style) spoon

If I have it, don't need it... somebody else will!
Lori
Old 20-07-2012, 15:18   #159

Haven't read through the whole thread, but has anyone suggested checking out theboatgalley.com?
Old 20-07-2012, 17:27   #160
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My plates are wood, bowls are plastic (till I can find something nicer)and my glasses are *very thick* Mexican glass. I have a couple (down from 4)of "proper" plates and bowls which I am now saving for special occasions.
Old 22-07-2012, 07:45   #161
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

I just got a Ninja blender/food processor/ frozen beverage maker and LOVE it. I got the small one that comes with two blender mugs with travel lids. It is replacing my blender and adding the functions of a mixer and food processor while taking up the same space. I have been experimenting with it and have made dough for pizzas, frozen margaritas, cookie dough, pesto and several other things and it works great. The margaritas took about 20 seconds to chop all of the ice!
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 07:55   #162
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

We have Corelle on the boat as well. A few years back I was storing them in a bin on a shelf (with a short fiddle and bungie) in the galley. We had gotten into very rough seas and one of our well intended guest crew had put the bin back but didn't secure it. We came off of a wave and heard a loud crash. The bin and contents were on the cabin sole. The bin split and one bowl broke. Everything else was perfect.

The one thing that I do notice with Corelle mugs is their ability to gain air when inadvertently knocked off of the cockpit combing onto the deck. They bounce nicely right into the water!
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 08:10   #163

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Okay, I'll try it with pictures

First the most important items: for coffee!!

Contoure coffee maker. It's about the only compact under the cabinet coffee maker left. We got it from a RV shop but I believe even West Marine has it now.

We had a Contoure Coffee Pot on our boat for four years... Its only problem was the removable water tank valve would wear out and you had to buy a whole new tank... On the positive side it made coffee under sail!

Our Contoure Coffee Maker died last year and too my suprise I discovered the company was no longer producing it....

Contoure Under Cabinet, Wall or Built-In Coffee Maker - Coffee Makers - Contoure Int, Inc.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 08:18   #164

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

My wife is Italian and it seems no one has mentioned PASTA!

We have a Pasta Pot that doubles as both a cooking pot and has holes in the lid for draining... The large sized pot can also be used for regular cooking.
Buy Bialetti Trends 5-Quart Pasta Pot - Black, Cookware

My wife is also a big fan of Pressure Cooking and uses a Rapid CHef Pressure Cooker, which is expensive, but worth every penny! She cooks all types of meats, vegetables and fish in the pot in a fraction of the time of other coventional cooking, which helps keeps the temp down in the main cabin.
Rapid Chef the Supercooker, Pressure Cooker Pressure Fryer | 6 qt. Rapid Chef Supercooker | Pro-Selections

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 09:35   #165
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Auspiciuos, again, thank you. Finding a source that can personalize the cups would be ideal.
Savoir, thank you for finding a low cost, and entirely satisfactory, option. I love this forum.
We use stainless steel tumblers from Thermos ( http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-DF4000...ds=thermos+mug ) which are great because they keep the tea hot for hours even in Winter, they don't spill when knocked, and hang easily on all sorts of places, such as grab rails, pushpit rails, lockers etc.

To personalise them we use permanent pen to draw silly pictures, like a sun, a flower, a boat etc. For longer passages we also stick a little duct tape on there, so crew can label it with their preference, ie: C+M+2S, or T+M.

They work for us!!

Also, for the occasional cool drink, we have IKEA plastic glasses for kids ( http://www.ikea.com.kw/en/all-depart...category_id=49 ) with lids from Pringles for when they are left unattended!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: