Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 09:27   #136
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: What do you have in your galley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I dropped a Corelle plate on the teak cabin sole on our previous boat. It exploded into a million ultra-tiny slivers and shards. Those very sharp slivers were everywhere -- spread through the main saloon, the forward cabin and even inside one of the heads and also up in the rims of the sideports and way over on the nav table. Even after we had cleaned thoroughly we still found pieces weeks later....usually cutting into our feet or hands in areas least expected. Wish it had simply 'broke in two.'

For our current boat we have the typical plastic Galleyware. But we also have Corelle because we never eat anything that requires cutting on the Galleyware because knives ruin those plastic plates rather quickly. Steak and any whole pieces of meat or fish are served on Corelle plates; only soft foods are served on the Galleyware plates.

The Galleyware bowls are used all the time because they have such substantial rubber anti-slip rings on the bases.

Judy
One of the things I always have in the galley is a small bag of dryer lint. That mess you get when glass breaks is easy to clean up with a hank of lint.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:43   #137

Re: What Do You Have In Your Galley ?

Things we didnt use much: Cupcake pan, bread pan, stovetop waffle maker. I use the waffle maker a lot here at home now though! We bought the deepest pans we could get and only kept two on board that way as well as the fry pan. You only have 2 or 3 burners.. and with 3 pans they cant be very big and fit ont he stove anyway! Some of my boats I converted from double sinks to one big one. I prefer that by far. Too hard to work in those little double sinks.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 10:23   #138
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If you eat underway consider getting a nice, shiny 9 X 13-inch cake pan for each crew member. It is a deep tray with room to hold napkin, knife and fork and two or three bowls of food, e.g. bowl of chili, a salad bowl and a coffee cup. The entire pan can be held with one hand, easily handed out to the cockpit and easily managed by diners who need only to wedge themselves in, hold pan with one hand and dig in with the other. In most cases pan can be put away clean. If things do slosh the mess is caught in the pan. They stack so they don't take up much space.
Old 13-04-2012, 12:50   #139

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonesuch 30U

Anybody use the Handpresso? Looks like a great solution for real, pressure-driven espresso. I used the stovetop version for years but it doesn't really do the trick.
Kache Walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:56   #140

Boat: In between boats

I picked up a few pairs of "swiss army" utensils for under $4 each at Walmart. So far, they have been a hit and brought out a good laugh with everyone that has used them. Most importantly, no rust or corrosion after three weeks of use and cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120616_111842.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	42866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120616_111946.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	42867  

SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:59   #141
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
If you eat underway consider getting a nice, shiny 9 X 13-inch cake pan for each crew member. It is a deep tray with room to hold napkin, knife and fork and two or three bowls of food, e.g. bowl of chili, a salad bowl and a coffee cup. The entire pan can be held with one hand, easily handed out to the cockpit and easily managed by diners who need only to wedge themselves in, hold pan with one hand and dig in with the other. In most cases pan can be put away clean. If things do slosh the mess is caught in the pan. They stack so they don't take up much space.

That's a terrific idea -- thank you!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 10:48   #142

What Do You Have In Your Galley ?
The Galley wench of course!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:36   #143

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Does anyone have a source for ordering those old-fashioned "roadside cafe" heavy ceramic coffee mugs that are imprinted or glazed (maybe, with names and pictures)? You know, like the Navy guys had. I liked them because they were stable and kept the coffee hot, and they looked really cool. Every place I've looked on the web only has top-heavy or foo-foo mugs with delicate handles that wouldn't last a single watch in bouncy weather.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05   #144

Boat: Able 50

There are some here

Starbucks® Coffee Cups & Mugs | Starbucks® Store
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:52   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Does anyone have a source for ordering those old-fashioned "roadside cafe" heavy ceramic coffee mugs that are imprinted or glazed (maybe, with names and pictures)? You know, like the Navy guys had. I liked them because they were stable and kept the coffee hot, and they looked really cool. Every place I've looked on the web only has top-heavy or foo-foo mugs with delicate handles that wouldn't last a single watch in bouncy weather.
A pottery company in E. Liverpool, OH just contracted with Starbucks to make mugs for them: Local Mug Manufacturer, Starbucks Team Up for Jobs - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57   #146

Boat: Able 50

If it's more convenient, a few of these mugs are for sale at every Starbucks outlet.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49   #147

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Here's one from Shipyard Beer (I like the logo): Shipyard Shopping

...but I'm sure you can find them just plain as well.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40   #148

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Kettle with a whistle, but can't hear it outside.
Proper plates and cutlery (for the Cat). The Prout, not the - other things).
A square cast iron fry pan. BEST BUY. Fries a man breakfast in one go. Or two steaks (beef, gammon, lamb, etc) that makes a real good meal.
5 gallon water bottle, which is three times too heavy. Worst buy. 2 gallon is heavy enough.
Traded down last year, no more gas bottles now, just the little canisters that are low pressure, low on contents, slow on boiling.
Good cotton tea towels that were never washed in modern products, or a machine, that coat the fibres and make them less absorbent.
BUTTER
Old 06-07-2012, 11:45   #149

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

The really heavy Navy mugs are hard to come buy if you don't have access to a Navy Exchange. I got a bunch made up for my boat six years ago. I'll track down the company and see if they still offer them. We love them.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 17:09   #150

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

AUSPICIOUS, thank you. That's what I'm looking for. No delicate handles that snap when merely falling three feet onto the deck. Were you able to also submit text and/or graphics also for glazing or imprinting?
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley