Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 23:14   #61

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: What are essential foods to bring?

I may have missed it but are you preparing for a trip from Seattle to SF in an O'day 28 or a Cape Dory 28?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 23:59   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I may have missed it but are you preparing for a trip from Seattle to SF in an O'day 28 or a Cape Dory 28?
It is like playing Chinese Whispers .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 00:37   #63

Boat: Cape Dory 28

The whole cut for the stove is 20x12.5 or it looks like the outline for where the stove took up was 22x13.5. Are those about right?

I could do an Origo, are the 4100 and 3000 you jus ordered the same size? I would be really nice to just be able to push it in and go. Its really the only eyesore on the boat. You've convinced me, I need a stove, and not just a camp stove.

The manga grill was a good addition. A real galley in here would be nice. I don't have saltwater for my sink, I will have to be careful about that, for washing things. It's freshwater only, at least as far as I have discovered. I almost thought I found a now to turn but it was just to switch tanks, there are two freshwater tanks.

The inlet is literally sitting next to the raw water intake for my engine.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 00:39   #64

Quote:
Lol, neither! You got one of the boats right though. (The better one). I already came from Seattle. You must have looked up my old posts from last year.

What is Chinese whispers?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:31   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Lol, neither! You got one of the boats right though. (The better one). I already came from Seattle. You must have looked up my old posts from last year.

What is Chinese whispers?
It is a kid's game where a message is whispered to one person and they pass it on. After several repetitions the information is generally absolutely nothing like the original .

This thread is a little like that. We now have you provisioning for a trip from Seattle in an O'Day. Hang around a bit longer and you will be on Cape Arrow instead of a Cape Dory and leaving for PNG next week .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:29   #66

That's hilarious
Old 04-10-2015, 04:15   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Huh? ...... not heard of all of these. Some can be translated like Té being tea and Herina SR as self raising flour, I presume - but others............ Damasco 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
My list..... varies a bit on account of availability. Its a bit daunting the first time you do a big 'shop' if you are only used to weekly grocery shopping.
Rice
Azucar
B/Cereal
Muesli
Oatmeal
Té, leaf
Te Sacos (x100)
Te, herbal
Corn Flour
Baking Powder
Harina(SR)
Harina(plain)
Pasta
Spaghetti
Papas Puree
Noodles,
Packet Soup
Coco rollado
Coconut cream
Salt, coarse
Salt, fine
Galetas Dulce
Galetas seco
Cereal Bars
Chocolada
Condiments
Acietes
Allcaperas
Anchovies
Basil
Bay leaves
Bi-carb
Cake Mix
Spinach dip
Branston Pickle
Chutney
Cinammon
Curry
Garlic,
wet Chile,
wet Ginger
Horseradish
HP Sauce
Cloves
Lemon Juice
Mango Pickle
Mayonaise
Mint sauce
Mint Jelly
Mixed Herb
Mixed Pickle
Mustard
Oregano
Parmesan
Pepper
Sage
Salsa Tom/c/Carne
Salsa Soy
Salsa Tomate
Salsa worcestor
Stock Cubes
Tabasco
Thyme
Tom Paste
Salsa/p/Pasta
Vanilla essence
Vegemite
Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar
Yeast
Rosemary
Mustard seeds
Garlic
Granules
Tinned Goods
Tuna
Large Herring
Smoked oysters
Sardinas
B/Beans
Beans
Beetroot
Cebollas en vinagre
Chick peas
Chocla
Espárragos
Gerkins, large
Lentils
Mushrooms Sliced
Mushrooms Whole
Pate
Peas
Jalapenos
Pimientos
Tomates/entiro
Damascos
Duraznos
Manzana
Peras
Dry
Apricots
Prunes
D Ginger
Dates
Mango
Cashews
Peanuts,
large Sultanas
Walnuts
Jams
Jam
Marmalada
Miel
Eggs, doz
Long life milk
butter
Marg
Pan
Pan Dolce
Cake

coflers
F/Friends
Toffees
Crema, larga vida

Fruit Juice

Damasco 6
Durazno 6
Grapefruit
Manzana
Naranja
Pina
Tomate V8

Fresh
Beef
Lamb
Carne molde
Salchichas
Tocino de cerdo
Jamón
Salami
Pate
Chook entiro
Salmon
Congrio
Vegetables
Aji
Ajo
Cebollas
Chocla dulce
Lechuga
Papas, kg
Cabbage
Tomates, kg
Zanahoria
Capsicum(pce)
Frutas (Kg)
Banano
Limons (pce)
Manzana
Naranjas
Palta
Pinas
Queso
Grande
Pequeño
Brie, etc

Aceite de Cocina
Aceite de oliva
Cif
Detergente
Disinfectante
Fosforos
Jabon de polvo
Jabón líquido
Papel de cocina
Papel hygenico
Pilas AAA
PilasC
Pilas AA
PilasD
Shampoo

One taxi full......
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:50   #68

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
It had originally come with an Origo 4100 but the previous took it out and not there is a hole that I am using for food storage.

I only have one of those small backpackers stoves that are super tiny and screw onto the top of a can of fuel and the manga grill.

Of course I have it in my budget to get a new stove what do you recommend?
The Origo 4100 would be an excellent choice...and it will fit your hole. Actually the 4100 will fit the hole left by most of the old "kenyon" and "princess" stoves.

The Origo 3000 is the same two burner stove as the 4100, but in a surface mount instead of drop in.

I had an Origo 4100 on several of my boats, and I keep an Origo 1500 around as a backup, for camping, or to cook on the dock once in a while.

I tried a backpack type stove on board when I was young and foolish. A couple of flare-ups, and it was evicted from the boat.

If price is an issue, look on ebay for new and used. I bought a brand new 1500 for less than half the price of new (including shipping). Or buy it in Canada for a 25% discount from the exchange rate.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51   #69

Quote:
It had originally come with an Origo 4100 but the previous took it out and not there is a hole that I am using for food storage.

I only have one of those small backpackers stoves that are super tiny and screw onto the top of a can of fuel and the manga grill.

Of course I have it in my budget to get a new stove what do you recommend?
Replace the Origo with an Origo, there's a reason the owner took the old one- they're awesome.

I didn't cook on my Origo 5100 last night (wife's away visiting family for a couple of weeks so I ate chips and salami and beer) but I had it on. Outside temperature was 6 Celsius (maybe 40 degrees US),windy and rainy. My Origo and Den Haan Lamp had the cabin temperature up to 24 Celsius (high 70's), I was sitting at my table with no shirt on, just shorts and slippers.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:00   #70

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Replace the Origo with an Origo, there's a reason the owner took the old one- they're awesome.

I didn't cook on my Origo 5100 last night (wife's away visiting family for a couple of weeks so I ate chips and salami and beer) but I had it on. Outside temperature was 6 Celsius (maybe 40 degrees US),windy and rainy. My Origo and Den Haan Lamp had the cabin temperature up to 24 Celsius (high 70's), I was sitting at my table with no shirt on, just shorts and slippers.

I second the motion...they are awesome. Here in canada, they are sold under the name "cookmate", but its the same stove from the same factory.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:27   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don, we also need to be realistic. We cook on gas and always have.; and as far as I can recall every boat we have met uses gas to cook on. It is safe if used sensibly. As for not cooking certain foods 'cos they use too much fuel......
Pasta does not take long to cook so I am not sure how or why you labelled it thus. At the end of the day we are not trying to just survive but to also live - and that includes eating for enjoyment, not just to get through the next 24 hours.
We have three 12kg gas cylinders and these last us around six months including baking, and that is for a large family.
We also have a barbeque (braai) that has an independent gas supply - we gave up on charcoal long ago - and the barbeque gets used a lot. We often use it for breakfast as well as dinner and the kids rustle up some good food using it as well.

I read a lot about Origo cookers and hear good things about them but what about fuel availability globally?

We sometimes have to refill our gas cylinders ourselves but we have always been able to obtain a refill whereever we have been and its never been expensive or difficult (except when the the gas depot blew apart in Dar es Salaam many years ago but we had recently refilled our cylinders when that happened).

On board we also keep a Coleman duel fuel cooker that goes to the shore with us, travels inland with us and also serves as an alternative cooker if required - just in case the gas should ever run out.

Quote:
Wow you hit the jackpot on this thread! Compile all the lists for us! Personally I think you'll end up back at propane. And I am with you, I generally avoid rice and pasta, they need a lot of fuel. There are other starches that cook faster or using a pressure cooker for the rice is a good idea. I posted on another thread that I really like white onions in lime juice as a topping or marinade and fresh onions and limes last for a while. In fact there are other salsa recipes that last a while. I hear tequila makes a good preservative (at least for worms?). I think you can eat well without refrigeration or using too much fuel.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:32   #72

Fuel availability world wide for Origo is excellent. They'll burn grain or wood alchohol, grain is better, but either fuel is available in every country on earth I suspect.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:02   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is my doubt - I have not needed the fuel but did meet the Pardeys in Knysna many years ago and they carried a large fuel supply - I believe they used something similar ( however, I might be recollecting incorrectly ) - its just that I have never noted such fuel being advertised in the places that we travel. Also, in places like Malaysia or whilst sailing the Red Sea I wonder what the availability is? Or in smaller communities in the South Pacific? I have never noted it for sale anywhere in the Indian Ocean.

I am curious as to the actual real availability and viability. I really do not know enough about the subject. How economical is it and what is the measure of judging/evaluating economy? If its a question of carrying 50 litres of fuel then its no more weight than carrying 3x 12kg gas cylinders and it becomes a potential fuel source IF the availability is really available on a widespread basis.
My doubts include why are these stoves not more globally used if they are so good?
I'm not being critical or negative; I just would like to understand more. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Fuel availability world wide for Origo is excellent. They'll burn grain or wood alchohol, grain is better, but either fuel is available in every country on earth I suspect.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37   #74

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
The whole cut for the stove is 20x12.5 or it looks like the outline for where the stove took up was 22x13.5. Are those about right?

I could do an Origo, are the 4100 and 3000 you jus ordered the same size? I would be really nice to just be able to push it in and go. Its really the only eyesore on the boat. You've convinced me, I need a stove, and not just a camp stove.

The manga grill was a good addition. A real galley in here would be nice. I don't have saltwater for my sink, I will have to be careful about that, for washing things. It's freshwater only, at least as far as I have discovered. I almost thought I found a now to turn but it was just to switch tanks, there are two freshwater tanks.

The inlet is literally sitting next to the raw water intake for my engine.
The 4100 is the one that should just drop into the hole you already have as I believe that is what was there previously. The cutout dimensions listed for the 4100 on their website is 22.63 x 12.81". That's actually a little wider than what you say your cutout measures.

The 3000 is a totally different stove and either sits on top of the counter or mounts in gimbals. When mounted in gimbals there is a "dropped down" position so that it can also sit flush on the counter. Panope has posted some nice pictures of their set up with their 3000 in gimbals, but your galley would need way too much modification for that. You could close up the hole in your counter and use it on top, but it would probably be too high and would block your access to the dish locker behind it. All in all I would say the counter drop in model would be your best choice.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:39   #75

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
He has a Cape Dory 28. Awesome small cruiser, we miss ours.

Tags
food