Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 15:16   #31
cruiser

I've done all my offshore cruising without one, and wouldn't put off cruising due to lack of one . However, when it only cost me around $700 to build a 540 GPD watermaker, and I like to build stuff, I built one.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:22   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
You need a watermaker if the size of your tanks does not cover your needs between fillings.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 19:18   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I (we) don't need a watermaker.

But even though marinas and all have the hoses with water one actually has to stop there and get it. I am too old and out of shape for the jerry cans.

I (we) have a water maker and it is soooooo nice to have. Known quality too.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 04:52   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

I (we) don't need a watermaker.

(...) I am too old and out of shape for the jerry cans. (...)
Perhaps the 'shape' would be better if you did carry them while you could?

We do not have a watermaker but I think if it were more financially attainable, we would. But after the statement from Therapy I am getting second thoughts. I mean all the toys and conveniences - are they really making our life better, I mean in the long run?

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 05:30   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
More than actually carrying gerry can of water is the availability of potable water in some island anchorages. It can vary from free and easy to non-existent except for long walks carrying heavy cans.
- - Then add in the increased usage per day per person as we get older or are new to cruising. Water deprivation is quickly growing out of fashion with modern new cruisers and some of us older cruisers.
- - I noticed that the exact same R.O. machine I bought in 1998 for $2.5K now costs today about $6K. Which to me, seems to indicate that "demand" for R.O. Machines is rapidly driving up the prices (among other factors).
- - However, you can make your own or even find used ones for a significant savings over a new machine. Even with having to replace the R.O. membrane the used ones are a real bargain.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 05:57   #36

Boat: Leopard 40
In the Cruising World class I attended in Annapolis this question was addressed by the panel. Out of four panelists the answer split down the middle.

We have decided we need to have one (when we get a boat).

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 19:00   #37

Boat: morgan 46 sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to svshamrock
Thumbs up

I love our watermaker. We still conserve but i dont feel bad about rinsing off the salt water. We run it every few days to top off the tanks. If we get a good soft rain we will still collect rain water.
svshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 20:46   #38

Boat: Gemini 3200
One really nice thing about a watermaker is you don't have to take on bad tasting water.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 06:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by svshamrock View Post
I love our watermaker. We still conserve but i dont feel bad about rinsing off the salt water. We run it every few days to top off the tanks. If we get a good soft rain we will still collect rain water.
Do you have any links to water collection systems for boats?

Maje
Old 21-01-2011, 07:48   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
In the Cruising World class I attended in Annapolis this question was addressed by the panel. Out of four panelists the answer split down the middle.

We have decided we need to have one (when we get a boat).

Maje
I believe it.

I've always been fascinated by the "Do you really need a watermaker" conversation. I always have this same conversation dozens of times every year. My standard pat answer anymore is no. It's fun to watch the faces of people when I say that at our booths. But if one makes decisions in life about what they really don't need because there are other options the list gets real long real fast. Do you really need a sail boat? Nope. Why pay 600+K plus for a 47 Catamaran when you can go to all the same places on a 30 foot 30K monohull. Heck I could travel the world in style for years on cruise ships, airplanes, first class trains and Land Rovers for years on 600+K and see places and do things people with big Cats will never be able to see or do. I don't need anymore car than a good used Ford Fiesta. But then I could buy a really fancy 32 speed bike for a lot less than the Ford. But then Target sells perfectly good bikes for $100. There's always the local flea markets where bikes can be had for 35 bucks. My neighbors got one at his house he never uses and will let me borrow it as much as I like at no charge. Speaking of houses,do I really need those granite counter tops? Nope formica will do the job. The dishwasher? Nope. Second bathrooms? What a waste of space. Don't get me started on the in-ground swimming pool in the back yard. You get the idea. So do you really need a watermaker? No. Blue jugs, rain collection, dock water are all real alternatives. Just ignore all those snooty cruisers that giggle a bit when you are passing by their boats in your dingy full of blue jugs.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 07:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I believe it.

I've always been fascinated by the "Do you really need a watermaker" conversation. I always have this same conversation dozens of times every year. My standard pat answer anymore is no. It's fun to watch the faces of people when I say that at our booths. But if one makes decisions in life about what they really don't need because there are other options the list gets real long real fast. Do you really need a sail boat? Nope. Why pay 600+K plus for a 47 Catamaran when you can go to all the same places on a 30 foot 30K monohull. Heck I could travel the world in style for years on cruise ships, airplanes, first class trains and Land Rovers for years on 600+K and see places and do things people with big Cats will never be able to see or do. I don't need anymore car than a good used Ford Fiesta. But then I could buy a really fancy 32 speed bike for a lot less than the Ford. But then Target sells perfectly good bikes for $100. There's always the local flea markets where bikes can be had for 35 bucks. My neighbors got one at his house he never uses and will let me borrow it as much as I like at no charge. Speaking of houses,do I really need those granite counter tops? Nope formica will do the job. The dishwasher? Nope. Second bathrooms? What a waste of space. Don't get me started on the in-ground swimming pool in the back yard. You get the idea. So do you really need a watermaker? No. Blue jugs, rain collection, dock water are all real alternatives. Just ignore all those snooty cruisers that giggle a bit when you are passing by their boats in your dingy full of blue jugs.
My husband refuses to live without one.

Maje
Old 21-01-2011, 08:16   #42
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
My husband refuses to live without one.

Maje

Funny. Usually it's the other way around.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:43   #43

Boat: Bristol 34
The best cruising advice I ever received was from a friend who told me “never take cruising advice from solo male cruisers”. “You are cruising with a woman” he said “and the dynamics are entirely different than if you were cruising alone”. He further opined: “if she is uncomfortable and unhappy, you will be downright miserable”.

That advice was in response to my question about our “need” for a watermaker.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 09:26   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Just ignore all those snooty cruisers that giggle a bit when you are passing by their boats in your dingy full of blue jugs.
Snooty me, Giggling here.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 05:38   #45

Quote:
Funny. Usually it's the other way around.

There are a lot of things that are the other way around in our marriage.

Maje

Tags
watermaker