Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-06-2013, 04:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Re: water makers

Welcome to forum tintan.

I always think the first step in choosing a watermaker is deciding how you are going to power it.

The most suitable type and capacity of watermaker are very different if you are going to provide the power with a generator, or via solar/wind. The former requires a very large capacity watermaker to produce all your water needs within a reasonable generator run time. Efficiency is not important. For the latter efficiency is critical, but the size can be much smaller as it can produce water over a much longer run time.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05   #17

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

We run a 12V spectra on our cat, we get about 7gph and run it during peak sun hours. depending on how much space you have for solar you could find this working for you, we never run the engines to charge, and very rarely (cloudy winter days) use the honda to top up the batteries. We even managed to keep up with 5 adults on board for a week, and those land lubbers love their showers!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06   #18

The first decision is do you need one? If you are offshore or spending most of your time in water clean enough to desalinate then you could consider one. But if there is accessible water at a reasonable cost then it makes no sense.

I had one during the period when I was making passages between NE and the Caribbean. Even in the Windward Islands I found water reasonable to get dockside and so never resorted to the water maker which was slow, used power and made noise when operating.

In the USA there is no need for a water maker.. water is free and accessible.

I thought of the thing as a safety feature if I was stuck for any reason offshore. Even that seems to have been over kill in the waters between NE and the Caribbean. If you are doing ocean crossings or sailing way out there a lot... by all means get one.

But for survival... there's always rain collection too.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
one of the reason i want one is we will be on the hook over 90% of the time.
we will also have a washing machine. so i see the need for at least 20-40 GPD.
i cant get over the huge price tag on a ready to go unit.

what size March Pumps does one need?

Most cruisers and sailors are on the hook 90 or more percent of the time. Learn to get the anchor up and set efficiently and bring the boat to dockside and top off your tanks.

I have small tanks, don't use water misery and have no problem because when the tank gauge shows I have 1/3 left I head off to top them off.

A water maker for a washing machine is completely insane.

Get real man.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:28   #20

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
The first decision is do you need one? If you are offshore or spending most of your time in water clean enough to desalinate then you could consider one. But if there is accessible water at a reasonable cost then it makes no sense.

I had one during the period when I was making passages between NE and the Caribbean. Even in the Windward Islands I found water reasonable to get dockside and so never resorted to the water maker which was slow, used power and made noise when operating.

In the USA there is no need for a water maker.. water is free and accessible.

I thought of the thing as a safety feature if I was stuck for any reason offshore. Even that seems to have been over kill in the waters between NE and the Caribbean. If you are doing ocean crossings or sailing way out there a lot... by all means get one.

But for survival... there's always rain collection too.
it depends a lot on where they are cruising, we are currently in Mexico, and its rained on us 3 times in a year, by the time the dust was washed off it was finished again. We have also been in only 2 marinas in that time, one each end of Baja, neither one had potable water on the docks, so we had to buy jugs to fill the tanks. Being in a catamaran will limit their access to marinas in Mexico, depending on their budget of course. We sure can't afford to tie up all the time and live on the hook
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait2035 View Post
it depends a lot on where they are cruising, we are currently in Mexico, and its rained on us 3 times in a year, by the time the dust was washed off it was finished again. We have also been in only 2 marinas in that time, one each end of Baja, neither one had potable water on the docks, so we had to buy jugs to fill the tanks. Being in a catamaran will limit their access to marinas in Mexico, depending on their budget of course. We sure can't afford to tie up all the time and live on the hook
Lots of cruisers use large jugs because they don't want to or can't get their vessels in to a dock to top up. Cats are a problem for docking. That's a given. If they have a big cat they need to have a sensible strategy based on where they are cruising and what their water needs are, the type of vessel they have and tank size.

Obviously there are multiple factors which contribute to this water decision. Sure you can create the ultimate independent space ship sort of thing... but one still needs to get food shore side usually and so you can get water there too.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Lots of cruisers use large jugs because they don't want to or can't get their vessels in to a dock to top up. Cats are a problem for docking. That's a given. If they have a big cat they need to have a sensible strategy based on where they are cruising and what their water needs are, the type of vessel they have and tank size.

Obviously there are multiple factors which contribute to this water decision. Sure you can create the ultimate independent space ship sort of thing... but one still needs to get food shore side usually and so you can get water there too.
A week's worth of food is maybe 30-40 pounds on the high side. A weeks worth of water is 350 pounds, which is a lot of jugs or lots of trips.

My water profile was much different with just me onboard, and still not bad with my wife and I. But with two kids it's insane hauling water.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
A week's worth of food is maybe 30-40 pounds on the high side. A weeks worth of water is 350 pounds, which is a lot of jugs or lots of trips.

My water profile was much different with just me onboard, and still not bad with my wife and I. But with two kids it's insane hauling water.
Reb...
What you do is you bring a 5 gal each trip ashore... and when I was cruising in the caribe I was ashore multiple times a day. I also knew where I could get alongside for a top off. Hell no to lugging 350 pounds.

But I was single handing or with one other person and we don't have a washing machine!
Old 08-06-2013, 13:01   #24

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Skype™ to coqui811

The size of the High Pressure pump is dictated mostly by the size of the of the volume to be produced so as to not overtax the pumps. As I suggested previously, do a google search on DIY watermakers. You will be able to design and determine he the parts to put one together at a much lower cost. 4 years ago I paid about 3 grand for ALL the parts to put my 11 GPH unit together. It took me about 3 days to put it together after much study of the location. It worked from the gitgo and is still producing very good water. A similar volume ready made would have cost more than twice that. I put mine in the port cockpit locker on a shelf about 4 ft long put in by the PO. It all fit in very nicely.
Old 10-06-2013, 13:35   #25

Boat: Sabre 38 mkII

I am not sure how this advice is anything more than a castrating restriction on where to anchor... ?

a problem completely eliminated by a watermaker

Quote:
Most cruisers and sailors are on the hook 90 or more percent of the time. Learn to get the anchor up and set efficiently and bring the boat to dockside and top off your tanks.

I have small tanks, don't use water misery and have no problem because when the tank gauge shows I have 1/3 left I head off to top them off.

A water maker for a washing machine is completely insane.

Get real man.
Old 10-06-2013, 15:30   #26

Read this. Not suggesting its correct or incorrect but you should read it, particularly the it about 'energy recovery' 12v watermakers.. http://www.echotecwatermakers.com/ma...s_articles.htm

When you get a WM your consumption will increase by up to 50%, (it just does); you will need to take this into account.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:09   #27
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bear in mind that you must maintain the minimum flow rate through the membrane , this is the practical limit to the size.

Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 16:48   #28
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqui811 View Post
The size of the High Pressure pump is dictated mostly by the size of the of the volume to be produced so as to not overtax the pumps. As I suggested previously, do a google search on DIY watermakers. You will be able to design and determine he the parts to put one together at a much lower cost. 4 years ago I paid about 3 grand for ALL the parts to put my 11 GPH unit together. It took me about 3 days to put it together after much study of the location. It worked from the gitgo and is still producing very good water. A similar volume ready made would have cost more than twice that. I put mine in the port cockpit locker on a shelf about 4 ft long put in by the PO. It all fit in very nicely.
You must not be a very shopper because if one looked on the intenet they can find a system all put togther for less than your "great deal"

DIY Watermakers | DIY Watermakers AC Series
Old 10-06-2013, 17:19   #29

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Skype™ to coqui811

I have to disagree with your comment as when using a watermaker one definitely must be very aware of quality of the water where you are anchored. You run a water maker in polluted or otherwise dirty water and the membranes will be ruined. One must be or move to a location where the water appears clean. One does one make that decision by looking and possibly diving in the water you are anchored in and if not sure ask any other boat in the anchorage as to their opinion if they have watermakers.
Old 10-06-2013, 17:23   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Reb...
What you do is you bring a 5 gal each trip ashore...
Screw that.

Yes, you can haul up anchor and go get water. We see boats pulling up anchor in crappy conditions, beating their way to a marina and taking all day to get another 5 days of water. We also see dinghies with constant jugs in them at all times and their owners shlepping water from a mile away (water is rarely available where one beaches dinghies). It is all certainly doable and valid.

A watermaker has been one of the most liberating things for us. Remarkably, it has been one of the most rugged pieces of gear on our boat. And it is a 1994 unit with lots of hours on it.

It is not about cost - it is about liberty and ease of mind. And clean clothes and body. And no salt boils on your bum and no tracking salt into and around the boat because you can wash the boat and dinghy down when it needs it. And not constricting your lifestyle to one of an endless camping trip. And good god, if I had poopy diapers onboard I'd want a 100gal/min watermaker (and a 60' catamaran) - so good on ya Rebelheart and all you others with babies.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: