Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2018, 18:42   #151
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Water in the Pacific

Over 20% of US citizens, in over 5000 communities, were exposed to unsafe public supply drinking water more than once during the past decade.

And that's the official stats, how likely is it they're exaggerated, as opposed to a low estimate?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 19:29   #152
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

And that is in the US with a high standard.....

It is much higher in Asian countries, where high coastal population and corrupted building codes have raw sewage draining directly into protected anchorages or contaminating the well.water table and rivers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

I have often left an anchorage to make water outside, because of what I see ashore and on the tide line. That is why I favour a high output R/O unit to make water between anchorages.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 20:12   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This guy has an issue, with things he doesn’t have for whatever reason.
Worrying about inefficiencies when I burn 1/4 gl of fuel an hour etc.
The test I spoke of was the one that we all should do when making water, that is to test for dissolved solids (tds) aka minerals, normal I’d guess is about 150 PPM or so, which is about what I had at home. We had hard water.
Mineral cartridges are sold, because people like you who worry an RO removes essential minerals, will buy them.
It’s not the first nearly useless thing sold.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 20:50   #154
CF Adviser

In the tropics, essential minerals come in abundant supply in the form of dark leafy greens, fish and legumes.

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/...eral-foods.php

While its hard to find familiar supermarket greens in remote islands, my Filipino girlfriend has introduced me to a lot of local stuff that when juiced and mixed with a touch of sweet fruit is very tasty.

If available, my favourite is 6oz of juiced celery and 1/4 apple daily.
https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/...ir-and-health/

I cannot recommend it high enough!

While bulky on board, a juicer has become an essential part of our daily life and about every 3 months, we also juice some natural cleansing stuff like ginger, to combat any shore side parasites.
Old 21-07-2018, 01:06   #155

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

A juicer? You had to go and mention a juicer? In this thread? Ah, I see, you’re just trying to push some buttons.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 01:56   #156

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Worry too much ..... it will kill you in the end
I have been sailing in the pacific with a watermaker for 10 years...I donlt take mineral supplements (*?).
Our product water TDS varies between 200 -400 depending on location and temperature. We have NEVER been sick, we're healthier now than we were 10 years ago.
We have a 1000 litre water tank which we try to keep > 700 litres all the time with our 50 l/hr watermaker....we NEVER put shore water in our tanks...we use it when its available (connect it to the plumbing and isolate the tank)
In answer to the OP question...yup you need one...
Cheers
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 02:36   #157
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
A juicer? You had to go and mention a juicer? In this thread? Ah, I see, you’re just trying to push some buttons. [emoji3]
Not at all!
We were talking about health aspects and claims by others that an R/O unit causes mineral deficiency
(Not true)
Old 28-07-2018, 03:20   #158

Aloha ,
Every one has there option, mine is this :
If you can afford one , get a good one and it will be a very smart investment
In your safety and , pleasure, for your trip....
Having just done over 8000 miles with a good water maker , I am a big fan !!
Also be sure to have replacement filters ...
Run the water maker when you charge up your batteries or motoring!!!
Have a great trip .
Kauai guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45   #159

Caroline, What a lot of good information on this thread from very experienced sailors. I am happy to see there is no hard core pushing in one direction or another. I am late to this thread but will throw out a half thimble of info. I was fortunate to have sailed around the world in the late 1970s and early 1980s; at that time, there was no option but to catch rain water, take clear water from a Polynesian stream or waterfall or well from an atoll. All cruisers knew how much chlorine to put in water to make it safe to drink, no different than any municipal water company does in developed countries. My wife and I have a water maker on our 40’ sailboat but in 11 years now, we have not used it, we don’t need it. I am still in the old thinking of keep it simple. But I do test water wherever we go. In some countries, I often test city water and find it to be of a much lower TDS, Total Dissolved Solids, than most water makers produce and there are no microbes. In other countries, like Thailand and Indonesia, water is clear but chlorine must be added. We have a water storage capacity of 80 gallons which has always gotten us by. But we use the pressure water only for showers. There are fresh water foot pumps at the galley and head. We take water conservation seriously, when we need too. Rather than writing a rambling answer about how we deal with fresh water on our boat and the tools we use to test water, I will post a You Tube video here. This is not a monetized site and I make these videos only for fun and to help with responses like this one.
overthehorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:20   #160

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
... But I do test water wherever we go. In some countries, I often test city water and find it to be of a much lower TDS, Total Dissolved Solids, than most water makers produce and there are no microbes. .....
Testing water for TDS does nothing to test for safety against microbes. The TDS read I ng is not related to the safety of the water from disease.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:59   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Testing water for TDS does nothing to test for safety against microbes. The TDS read I ng is not related to the safety of the water from disease.

He tests for hydrogen sulphide, which is I believe and indicator of biological growth.
Watch the video, he seems to know what he is doing

Our Watermaker in Cool water will be the TDS down into the 50’s and even in warm water, it’s usually under 100.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26   #162

Boat: Catalina 470

I don't understand those that think not having a watermaker makes things simpler?

I see it the opposite way. It dosent get simpler than turning the watermaker on to make copious amounts of water.

They are incredibly reliable. If once every five years or so it breaks down (which most don't) then you can go and find water like would if you didn't have a watermaker.

A watermaker simplifies one aspect of cruising, getting water.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37   #163

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
He tests for hydrogen sulphide, which is I believe and indicator of biological growth.
Watch the video, he seems to know what he is doing

Our Watermaker in Cool water will be the TDS down into the 50’s and even in warm water, it’s usually under 100.
Sorry, don't watch online videos.
Fecal coliform covered by it too?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 16:09   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I don't understand those that think not having a watermaker makes things simpler?

I see it the opposite way. It dosent get simpler than turning the watermaker on to make copious amounts of water.

They are incredibly reliable. If once every five years or so it breaks down (which most don't) then you can go and find water like would if you didn't have a watermaker.

A watermaker simplifies one aspect of cruising, getting water.

You know when I either first got my boat, or maybe was still looking, I saw a post there that to me made a lot of sense.
It was that once you decide you want a refrigerator, things get complicated.
I had to think about that for a little while as a fridge really isn’t all that complex, but once I thought about it, I understood.
Once you get that fridge, you have to power it, and then that gets you into a bigger battery bank, Solar, battery monitors, bigger alternators, maybe a generator etc.

A Watermaker may not be all that complex by itself, they aren’t simple I don’t think as I installed mine, but the real deal is you have to power the thing, just like that fridge.
Old 02-08-2018, 16:41   #165
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know when I either first got my boat, or maybe was still looking, I saw a post there that to me made a lot of sense.
It was that once you decide you want a refrigerator, things get complicated.
I had to think about that for a little while as a fridge really isn’t all that complex, but once I thought about it, I understood.
Once you get that fridge, you have to power it, and then that gets you into a bigger battery bank, Solar, battery monitors, bigger alternators, maybe a generator etc.

A Watermaker may not be all that complex by itself, they aren’t simple I don’t think as I installed mine, but the real deal is you have to power the thing, just like that fridge.
I think it can fairly be said that we adjust to "complexity" all the time. Its called progress!

When liveaboards adopt a system as a worthwhile inclusion into their limited space....and...then years later......replace it with a new better one after its design lifespan has expired....it is because they believe that equipment has made their life more convenient and less complex.

Hauling dubious water or buying local meats in a fly infected market, or simply doing without both for long periods is a lifestyle choice just as foregoing onboard internet, so we can research and share opinions.

All can be called complex. The study of meteorology is complex. Being your own wilderness doctor or plumber is complex.... UNTIL you learn the basics and gain experience/confidence in maintaining those systems.

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) on proven systems these days are counted in years, which is a standard I can aspire to for unlimited water and my frozen favorites.

Tags
water