Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2008, 22:57   #46

Boat: 32' Watkins, 31' Tiara
Water

Here's a link, Mexico waterbottled water San Carlos Sonora area Sea of Cortez... also will probable be more than you may want to know about water in general in the USA.
jc

http://www.vivasancarlos.com/water/sancarloswater.doc
joncon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:42   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I don’t see how the Surgeon General, CDC or AMA etc. could have a vested interest,"
Its easy, Gord. They're all doctors or politicians, and "professional courtesy" extends for many years in and out of service.

Explain, if you will, why the US medical establishment (including medicare/medicaid) reimburses doctors and hospitals up to some $800 for a hospital infusion of vitamin B12 (given as an IV procedure), when supposedly all of Canada and the EU simple pays $20 for a bottle of pills or liquid to be taken orally by the patient.

In the US, all of those parties would tell you that taking B12 by mouth simply doesn't work, you must use an infusion. Outside the US....Gee, the laws of physics change? No, the medical establishments simply refuse to "wink wink nod nod" and allow the hugely profitable procedure when a bottle of pills will do just as well.

Is everyone here corrupt? Of course not, we always have the poor, some of them are simply too honest to get ahead. The rest, are equally corrupt but inept at conning the rest. (Who me, a cynic?!)

The Surgeon General and CDC are part of our political system, don't doubt it. The AMA has long been criticized as being one of hte oldest unions on earth (barbers, who were the early doctors, and prostitutes generally considered the oldest) and regularly takes heavy criticism for political stands that run contrary to "good medical practice". They're a trade guild looking out for their members, no more no less.

And an insult to honest barbers, whores, and thieves the world over!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 12:54   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I don’t see how the Surgeon General, CDC or AMA etc. could have a vested interest,"
Its easy, Gord. They're all doctors or politicians, and "professional courtesy" extends for many years in and out of service ...
... The Surgeon General and CDC are part of our political system, don't doubt it. The AMA has long been criticized as being one of hte oldest unions on earth (barbers, who were the early doctors, and prostitutes generally considered the oldest) and regularly takes heavy criticism for political stands that run contrary to "good medical practice". They're a trade guild looking out for their members, no more no less....
So, the highly powerful & profitable fluoridation industry has "gotten to" these corrupt establishment institutions?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 13:49   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I didn't say THAT, Gord. Only that these folks are not as far above suspicion as Caeser's wife. So to speak.

How much research on the long term effects of fluoridation was done before the process became common? Long term, as in fifty-year baseline studies with control groups, looking at Alzheimers, arthritis, ADD....?

Teeth are a good thing to have, but the SCIENCE behind many of our societal decisions is often sadly lacking. People would rather spend their money on bottled water. Hmmmmmm.....
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 15:53   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I didn't say THAT, Gord. Only that these folks are not as far above suspicion as Caeser's wife. So to speak.
How much research on the long term effects of fluoridation was done …
That’s not saying much for the public health & medical establishment; given that Caesar divorced his wife Pompeia, over a matter of UNFOUNDED suspicion ("Ceasar’s wife ought not even to be under suspicion."). The NIH / CDC / AMA’s integrity fAll below that of Pompeia’s?

MANY studies have been carried out on water fluoridation, most (but NOT ALL) generally* positive in their conclusions.

* There are exceptions ( The National Kidney Foundation has withdrawn its support of water fluoridation)

Unfortunately, the resistance to fluoridation of public water supplies (& vaccinations), is generally based upon philosophical resistance to compulsory mass medication, which takes away an individual's right to choose – not science (tho’ science is often cited). Hence the objection is philosophically bases (biased), not scientifically (evidence) based.

I don’t want this to become a debate about the merits/dangers of public water fluoridation (I really don't care).

My main point was to indicate that advertising & the proclamations of interest groups is not information – it’s propaganda. We should, as far as we are able, seek more disinterested sources of information.

In the end, who one chooses to believe is a matter of choice – a choice that often defines one’s standards, and biases.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 22:28   #51
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
<snip>
So, THANKS for all of the posts, I have considered them all!
Uh . . . one more thought, Greg . . .

You know, it does sound better than canned water.

TaoJones
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	4121  
Old 22-02-2021, 00:44   #52

Re: Water in Mexico

Tap water can also be drunk, provided that it is disinfected, and one of the fastest and most reliable methods is UVC disinfection.
Rose Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 18:47   #53

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

this thread is reminding me why a watermaker was worth every single penny, never having to worry about the quality of the water in my tanks really is wonderful.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 19:12   #54

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Oh you haven't lived until you've had giardia from (natural spring, what could go wrong?) water and unwashed produce. Chlorine and other water purification chems don't kill the cysts. UV and heat does. Then there are lovely things like ascaris roundworms, 2 feet long, living in your guts as a result of undercooked meats or polluted water. But ironically what probably will kill you in the end is a congested heart from too much of the Western diet. 1 out 4 Americans died of heart disease. When it comes down to it after basic precautions I'd, I'd worry about that much more.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:15   #55

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

One simple rule!

Do not drink Tap water anywhere in the world. Waterquality worldwide has decreased the last 20 years and having drinking water in the s called "industrialized countries" is a myth. If you have Cocaine, Crystal meth, Valium and all the antibiotics in the water all over the world, do you think it is potable?
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:22   #56
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinvega27 View Post
One simple rule!

Do not drink Tap water anywhere in the world. Waterquality worldwide has decreased the last 20 years and having drinking water in the s called "industrialized countries" is a myth. If you have Cocaine, Crystal meth, Valium and all the antibiotics in the water all over the world, do you think it is potable?
What to drink then?

Keep in mind that much bottled water is just tap water.

Chicago has excellent tap water.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:26   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
What to drink then?

Keep in mind that much bottled water is just tap water.

Chicago has excellent tap water.
Beer!
Old 09-04-2021, 12:05   #58

One simple answer not often mentioned on boating forums is a household under sink RO system.
They need no electricity, operate from water pressure, take up maybe 1 cu ft + room for a small accumulator tank. Mine cost $129. It will provide plenty of drinking water and enough for cooking etc. They work slow so probably not enough for doing dishes. The accumulator holds maybe 1-3 gallons depending which you buy.

Removes:
Rust
Heavy metals
Pesticide and fertilizer residues
Sulfates, nitrates, cyanide, and other contaminants
Microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, and mold
Municipal additions like chlorine, fluoride, and aluminum
Mercury, lead, cadmium, barium, and copper
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
Arsenic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banner_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	236222  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Beer!
In city's such as London ,even in Victorian times people drank beer because The water was contaminated and beer was healthier

, the other problem with water can be it's storage temperature , as part of my job ,I have to test water temperature , the stuff coming out of the cold tap has to be less than 20 Dec celsius the water out of the hot tap has to be greater than 45Dec ( except when tmv valves are usedb) this is to decrease the risk of legionella bacteria ( legionares disease ), disinfecting shower and Spray heads is also part of the regular action against legionella

In my native Scotland we would drink from the mountain streams as kids , one of my favourite fishing holes as a youngster is now fenced off as the water is now put into plastic bottles and sold as Campsie Spring lol
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:06   #60

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One simple answer not often mentioned on boating forums is a household under sink RO system.
They need no electricity, operate from water pressure, take up maybe 1 cu ft + room for a small accumulator tank. Mine cost $129. It will provide plenty of drinking water and enough for cooking etc. They work slow so probably not enough for doing dishes. The accumulator holds maybe 1-3 gallons depending which you buy.

Removes:
Rust
Heavy metals
Pesticide and fertilizer residues
Sulfates, nitrates, cyanide, and other contaminants
Microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, and mold
Municipal additions like chlorine, fluoride, and aluminum
Mercury, lead, cadmium, barium, and copper
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
Arsenic
I've often wondered about this. It seems like a great idea. Have you used it long enough to feel confident it'll last?

Tags
Mexico