Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2009, 04:40   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Using a charcoal filter before filling your tanks seems to defeat the purpose of what it removes. Tanks are for storage, removing residual chlorine from municipal water sources I would think would increase the chances of a tank going bad. If you want to filter water before you fill the tanks using 20 -10 micron filters that makes sense. I leave the charcoal filtration at the galley sink.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 05:34   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If you want to filter water before you fill the tanks using 20 -10 micron filters that makes sense. I leave the charcoal filtration at the galley sink.
It's not practical to filter to 20 microns to fill the tanks. (If you have a 100 gallon tank that is going to require a very industrial grade setup to fill a water tank before lunch time. What is practical is to use a basic 2 stage filter like you might get a local Home Depot / Lowes. Connect your hose to it and filter out the really ugly stuff. You'll catch rust and sediments that occur in a lot of water supplies. You can use basic garden hose style fittings and the dock pressure will easily drive the filter just as it would in your house. These filters are very cheap and can filter 1000's of gallons of dock water. Something like the Seagull Filter at the galley sink works better for small amounts of water that you might feel the need to have say 15 micron filtration. You would filter only what you were going to drink or cook with. That filtration is small enough to catch cysts that might be in the water.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 05:51   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Thanks a whole lot Paul, now you've put me into mad scientist mode with a bunch of old filter housings I have laying around the shop <grin>
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 07:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
What is practical is to use a basic 2 stage filter like you might get a local Home Depot / Lowes. Connect your hose to it and filter out the really ugly stuff.
Paul,

Were you thinking of an inline with hose attachments? If so I haven't seen anything like that. Or were you thinking a high volume with pipe fittings like at Home Depot : CO AP200 Plastic Taste/Odor Filter.

Can you provide a link to such a product as you describe?

Thanks!
Scottie2 is offline   Reply With Quote