Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 20:53   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Jim is correct, rain water collection (for drinking etc) is standard practice in rural Australia - posted by a local rural Aussie.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 04:04   #47

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42.1
Many or most people in the Bahamas use cisterns to collect rain water for drinking, bathing, etc. When rain is scarce and the cisterns need filling, they resort to buying RO water. I've been told by several Bahamians, that after several fillings with RO water, they have to go into their cisterns and scrub them down. Could be caused by the transport tanks or whatever, but they far prefer rainwater to RO.
sailing now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 04:12   #48

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We have same needs as you (drinking, rinse after swim / wash) plus occassional full blown showers, and tend to average 15 litres per person per day.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 28-09-2009, 05:24   #49

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
almost on topic but certainly topical

The Australian town that kicked the bottle - World - NZ Herald News
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 05:33   #50

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing now View Post
Many or most people in the Bahamas use cisterns to collect rain water for drinking, bathing, etc. .
We have used the cistern at Normans Cay in the Bahamas many times. This cistern is under the clubhouse of the resort that drug smuggler Carlos Leder, now serving god knows how many years in a Florida jail, owned. The clubhouse has deteriorated to nearly a bare shell now but the cistern is still fine. We've been using this cistern since 1990. A few leaves and bugs floating on the top but cruisers always replace the cover after use.
Old 28-09-2009, 05:36   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
That goodness theres one smart town in the world. While the moronic greenies are bleating crap they suck water from bottles like babies.

Its the most enviromentaly mental thing since Dolphin friendly tuna.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:54   #52

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)
Drinking Rain Water

I spent the first 45 years of my life 60km from the Sydney Harbour Bridge (as the crow flies). We never had luxuries like city water or sewerage, bloody hell we didn't get a garbage collection service until I was about 30. All our water including drinking came off the roof of the house and shed then straight into the concrete storage tanks. I remember for many years the main tank was home for a green tree snake ( he/she could always be found just inside the inspection port on top of the tank coiled around a convenient piece of plumbing) I guess it was well fed on the odd frog that paid a visit to this permanent water supply. Being so close to a major city (acid rain ?) and all the bird droppings mixed in with snake and frog poo I guess one would imagine that the water would be dirtier than that of any third world country but it was exactly the opposite. After 2 years away from there I can still smell the chlorine every time I take a shower and I'm not going to mention the taste, how I miss my fresh rain water.
Old 28-09-2009, 14:35   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We have used the cistern at Normans Cay in the Bahamas many times. This cistern is under the clubhouse of the resort that drug smuggler Carlos Leder (sic: Lehder), now serving god knows how many years in a Florida jail, owned. The clubhouse has deteriorated to nearly a bare shell now but the cistern is still fine. We've been using this cistern since 1990. A few leaves and bugs floating on the top but cruisers always replace the cover after use.
In 1992, in exchange for agreement to testify against Manuel Noriega, Carlos Lehder’s sentence for life without parole plus 135 years was reduced to a total sentence of 55 years and Lehder went into the Bureau of Prisons’ version of the federal Witness Protection Program.

The "clubhouse" as seen from the harbour road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norman;sCay - Lehder’sVilla.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	10192  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:28   #54

Boat: Bristol 29
Water in the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well,

- have visited both NZ (North Island) and Australia (NT). Yes, I have seen people collecting rain water, but NO, I have not seen anybody drinking it, the rainwater was used to water the plants. In Australia I have NOT seen water collecting devices, and what can be more rural than the Northern Territory? The drinking water there came from shops (!) and desalination plants.

- local people are not bothered by local bacteria in the same way the traveler is. Any doubters please get yourself the favor and visit India - somehow, however, Indians are not a nation in risk of extinction from diarrhea. To get the thing a due perspective please read information available on tropical diseases and their most common causes. An interesting lecture.

- our rain teas were nothing but hot and pretty muddy liquid, as for coffee I could not detect the bad taste, but probably we have to ask someone who knows about coffee - a French, or an Italian perhaps, unless what you mean by coffee is Nescafe or something of this sort.

- next time out please do not boil the water (tea...cofee...) just drink it as it comes from heavens and report your findings, it is always good to learn from others' experience.

- the arguments may be labeled silly but how does it make them any less valid or interesting; naming an argument silly does not disprove it, or does it?

Hugs to all ya,
barnie
The only water on Abaco is rain water stored in cisterns. The water is very good there but more expensive than Kalik. I would think outside of areas that have desal facilities that is true for most of the Bahamas.
Old 03-11-2009, 22:41   #55

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
a bit more info

Rainwater Safe To Drink: Monash University Study
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the only problems associated with drinking rainwater kept in the tanks on a boat come from the tanks on that boat-----lol---rainwater is awesome and makes great replacement water.....sure beats pcb infested plastic bottled water LOL.......if there is a mold problem in your tanks, then fix it--use the rain water and enjoy nature--is what it is here for------LOL......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote