Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 07:26   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53
Wanted - Your Favorite Recipe

We are about to move onto our boat and cruise full time. We are interested in recipes. Specifically, I would like recipes that are one or two pan meals that can be made in about 20 minutes.

If you have something that is absolutely scrumptious and would care to share, please do so.

We will try all that is sent to us and will post our favorites on our blog for others to try.

Many thanks!!!!
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:31   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Wanted - Your Favorite Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
We are about to move onto our boat and cruise full time. I am interested in recipes. Specifically, I would like recipes that are one or two pan meals that can be made in about 20 minutes.

If you have something that is absolutely scrumptious and would care to share, please do so.

We will try all that is sent to us and will post our favorites on our blog for others to try.

Many thanks!!!!
To keep things organized I would recommend to start with the app called Paprika for your iPad/Android or laptop etc. Nothing that beats it and you finally can find back what you need

Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad, iPhone, Mac, and Android.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 07:51   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
We are about to move onto our boat and cruise full time. We are interested in recipes. Specifically, I would like recipes that are one or two pan meals that can be made in about 20 minutes.

Many thanks!!!!

For parties - take large dates, like Majhood ...

Pit them with the tip of a knife, slicing down one half.

Mix cream cheese, chopped dried apricots and chives or onions ...

Fill dates (better if a little spills out the end, frankly.

Wrap in about a third of a slice of bacon and fasten (thru the slits) with a toothpick.

If you can crisp the bacon in the oven that's best but you have to turn them half way through (and they brown on the bottom, not the top) -- you're talking about sugar and fat here so line the pan with tin foil.

OR, brown them in a frying pan.

YUM! Fabulous party nibbles.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 08:16   #4

I have the Kindle app for both my phone and laptop, and have a copy of various cookbooks, including the excellent Boat Galley Cookbook
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 15:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My favorite recipe? .....and for all the other easy eaters with the vulgar palate,- Nuke it 'till it pops! Suitable for all. Serve in one pan or two.
Old 14-05-2013, 15:17   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Get a pressure cooker and a cook book with it. You can make all kinds of dishes quicker in a pressure cooker.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:56   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Absolutely +1 on the pressure cooker.

We've carried two for over 25 years, now. In particulary hot areas, like the Solomon Is., it was wonderful to make my best bread recipe in, on the stove top [with the seal removed].

To the OP, you seemed to basically be asking for one pot meals, or some kind of glop with rice, pasta, or potatoes, is that correct?

I'd be happy to include the bread recipe if you're interested, but it seems outside the scope of the question.

However, the pressure cooker comments are not, because with the lid tight, they cannot leak in a seaway, even if they jump off the stove. This is a major blessing, IMO.

Ann
Old 14-05-2013, 18:55   #8

Boat: Beneteau 473
We love our Zojirushi thermal cooker for great one pot meals. Put it all together in the morning eight hours later you have a hot meal, great for passages.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 19:40   #9

Boat: csy 37

stir fry is easy/healthy and one pot to clean. just need fresh veggies and some kind of protein - sliced chicken, sliced beef, sea legs, etc. or no protein at all. rice is optional but we like to serve stir fry over 'yellow rice' (sold in small packets in supermarkets). but then you've got two pots to clean.

we've got a pressure cooker (don't use it) and a wok (use it a lot).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 20:04   #10

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

spanish omelette; grate potatoes, mix in 2/3 eggs, dried parsley, salt and pepper,throw garlic and onion in the pan, when its softened add the potatoe/egg mix cook slow, you can turn it or put it under the griller if your stove has one, throw on some grated parmesan when its ready to serve. goes pretty good with a nice pinot noir. (or a sauvignon blanc if you've got a fridge)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 00:04   #11

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
We are about to move onto our boat and cruise full time. I am interested in recipes. Specifically, I would like recipes that are one or two pan meals that can be made in about 20 minutes.

Many thanks!!!!
My choice of pressure cookers: (note no big handles to accommodate) http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Futuro-5...ure+cooker+set

A favorite of ours courtesy of allrecipes.com
Teriyaki chicken
Ingredients
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup reduced - sodium soy sauce
1/4 Cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp ground ginger
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 Can crushed pineapple (20 ounce)
1 Cup chicken stock
3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 Tbsp cornstarch (optional)
2 Tbsp cold water (optional)

Directions
1.Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ginger, garlic powder, pepper, crushed pineapple and juice, and chicken stock in a bowl and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved.
Place chicken thighs in the pressure cooker and pour in the sauce. Stir gently to coat. Bring the pressure cooker up to high pressure over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, maintaining high pressure. Cook for 20 minutes.
2.Stir cornstarch into cold water and set aside.
3.Reduce the pressure using the rapid-release method. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken to a serving dish; cover with foil and set aside. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, bring the mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve the chicken topped with the teriyaki sauce.
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 00:05   #12

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Absolutely +1 on the pressure cooker.

We've carried two for over 25 years, now. In particulary hot areas, like the Solomon Is., it was wonderful to make my best bread recipe in, on the stove top [with the seal removed].

To the OP, you seemed to basically be asking for one pot meals, or some kind of glop with rice, pasta, or potatoes, is that correct?

I'd be happy to include the bread recipe if you're interested, but it seems outside the scope of the question.

However, the pressure cooker comments are not, because with the lid tight, they cannot leak in a seaway, even if they jump off the stove. This is a major blessing, IMO.

Ann
Ann I'd love to see your bread recipe if you are willing to share.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 01:04   #13

Boat: Privilege 37

I would recommend the following:

Amazon.com: Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes (9780764597268): Vickie Smith: Books

The Boat Galley Cookbook: 800 Everyday Recipes and Essential Tips for Cooking Aboard : 800 Everyday Recipes and Essential Tips for Cooking Aboard: Carolyn Shearlock, Jan Irons: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Old 15-05-2013, 07:33   #14

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Probably the most frequently prepared meal on our boat involves 2 pans.

1. Pressure cooker for rice -- 5 min and then let sit till pressure valve releases and rice is done. Put it on first and it will be ready when the second pan is done.

2. Stir fry in wok -- cubed boneless chicken breast (or beef or pork or firm fish -- if cooking shrimp then add it last). Stir fry in very small amount veg oil till meat is almost done. Simple seasoning for meats before cooking is powdered ginger and garlic. Add chopped vegetables, whatever is on hand. Or cut into stick shape; whatever shape meat pieces should resemble same shape veg pieces. Add vegetables in order of hardest first then down to softest; example; carrots first, then broccoli or snow peas, then onion or green onion, etc. This allows the firmer veggies to cook longer and the softer ones don't get mushy.

Takes about 3-5 minutes for meats to cook. Add veggies and cook no more than 5 minutes additional time, constantly moving all food in wok so nothing sticks or burns. If cooking with shrimp or prawns, add for the final 2-3 minutes.

Can serve plain like this with the rice. My husband eats this with Thai sweet chili sauce.

Or can add generic stir fry sauce (either bottled or make your own; recipe is easy) to the wok and then serve with the rice.

Or can simply add some soy sauce and tiny bit of water to the wok. Mix a few spoons of cornstarch (corn flour to EU readers) mixed with small amount of cool water to flowable consistency. Stir into the soy sauce/water mixture in the wok and stir for 1 minute. This provides a thickened sauce if don't want to bother making a generic stir fry sauce.

There are endless variations of simple stir-fry dishes. Our favorite way to cook when not grilling because it cooks so quickly and does not heat up the entire boat.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 07:21   #15

Boat: Tartan 4100

Fish Tacos!!!
Very easy and uses only a skillet or the grill for the fish, Mahi-Mahi or other white, flaky, firm fish.
Many recipes available on the net
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted