Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate
Absolutely +1 on the pressure cooker.
We've carried two for over 25 years, now ...
Couldn't agree more. I just got my first pressure cooker and used it to cook sambar twice on a 5-day trip (we are local cruisers - not blue water)
Sambar is a 1-pot meal in the pressure cooker *if* you cook the dal first, then remove the dal to a bowl and cook the tarka & vegetables then mix the whole bit together at the end. 2 pots if you count the pot of rice. BTW I love this recipe b/c it uses NO refrigerated foods. It is actually very easy to make on anchor
although I wouldn't try it while under way in a small boat.
For 2-3 people using a 3 quart Hawkins Stainless Steel
Soak Dal 15 minutes - 4 hours (the longer the better)
Cook time: 30 minutes + 15 minutes of prep or cooling
Ingredients for Step 1
• 1 cup Toor Dal (split pigeon peas)
• 1 t sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
• ½ t turmeric (haldi)
• 2-3 c water
Directions for Step 1
1. Drain & Rinse the soaked dal until there is no more foam
2. Add water, spices and cook in pressure cooker for 25 minutes
3. Let cool naturally while you chop veggies for step 2 & 3
Ingredients for Step 2 (Tarka)
• 4 T coconut oil
• 1 t cumin seeds (jeera)
• ¼ t fenugreek seed (methi)
• ½ t mustard seeds (rai)
• Pinch of asafetida (hing)
• 4 dry whole red chilies (optional)
• ½ large onion, 1 small onion, or shallots – chopped fine
• 1 large tomato cubed in small pieces.
• 1-2 T Sambar Masala mix (from Indian grocery)
Directions for Step 2
1. After 15 minutes cooling
, open your pressure cooker and remove the dal to a bowl. Rinse & dry pressure cooker.
2. Heat oil, then add the spices. Cook & stir until seeds pop
3. Add onion and sautee until transparent
4. Add Sambar masala powder
5. Add tomato
Ingredients for Step 3
• 3-4 c Chopped vegetables: 1-2 carrot, 1 zucchini (or Mexican squash or Italian crookneck squash), 1 flying saucer squash, 1/8 – 1/4 head
of purple cabbage, whatever you have on-hand.
• 1-2 t tamarind paste
• Water from cooking
the Dal + 1-2 cups extra water (as needed to fill pot to 50% capacity)
Directions for Step 3 – Vegetables
1. Add chopped vegetables to the Tarka mix and stir until coated with spices
2. Take “water” from the dal and add to the tarka & veggies. Add additional water to fill the pressure cooker to 50% capacity or so.
3. Add tamarind pulp
4. Cover cooker and bring to pressure (2-5 minutes depending on your stove).
5. Turn off heat and let cool for 15 minutes
6. Add the Dal back into the pot and stir
7. Salt to taste and serve with white basmati rice