Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2015, 18:06   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Vegetarians and carnivores under the same roof

I am curious. We have been together for over thirty five years (I would have divorced me a long time ago) and have two on their own fantastic daughters. Around thirty years ago S (wife) decided to become a "vegetarian". She eats fish, eggs and fowl, an occasional bit of rabbit, but generally nothing with four legs or lips, so there is some flexibility in her definition. Do chickens have lips?

I do most of the cooking and I am not opposed to eating a lot of non-meat, but I do crave a good burger, sausage, meatloaf or steak (oh hell, any kind of beef, pork or venison will do). Even, OMG, a perfectly prepared Osso Bucco in the braising pan.

S is not the biggest fan of boats, but she is, bless her heart, feeling better about it. My plans are to retire this year and head south on the ICW to warmer weather. S will work another year (maybe four if I am persuasive?) so the trip will be with friends and family who hop on board for a week or two.

So, I pose to you, esteemed, studied, refined and educated members of CF, how many of you share life with a person of different dietary preferences and how do you handle it?

Damn, I love Bisson's Market https://www.facebook.com/pages/L-P-B...m/105990019346 If you ever wanted to have bacon, theirs is to die for.
Old 19-03-2015, 19:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Vegetarians and carnivores under the same roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
I am curious. We have been together for over thirty five years (I would have divorced me a long time ago) and have two on their own fantastic daughters. Around thirty years ago S (wife) decided to become a "vegetarian". She eats fish, eggs and fowl, an occasional bit of rabbit, but generally nothing with four legs or lips, so there is some flexibility in her definition. Do chickens have lips?

I do most of the cooking and I am not opposed to eating a lot of non-meat, but I do crave a good burger, sausage, meatloaf or steak (oh hell, any kind of beef, pork or venison will do). Even, OMG, a perfectly prepared Osso Bucco in the braising pan.

S is not the biggest fan of boats, but she is, bless her heart, feeling better about it. My plans are to retire this year and head south on the ICW to warmer weather. S will work another year (maybe four if I am persuasive?) so the trip will be with friends and family who hop on board for a week or two.

So, I pose to you, esteemed, studied, refined and educated members of CF, how many of you share life with a person of different dietary preferences and how do you handle it?

Damn, I love Bisson's Market https://www.facebook.com/pages/L-P-B...m/105990019346 If you ever wanted to have bacon, theirs is to die for.
After 30 years you should tell us how to do it! lol ..I lived with a Vegan surfer dude once for a short while when I was a kid and everything he cooked he would say tasted "just like beef" tastes "just like chicken",looks like meat sauce (tofu)taste like meat sauce, my buddy said to him 'If you want everything to taste like meat why dont you just eat meat', fella never mentioned cooking again..Congratulations on being together for 35 YEARS !!!I have always admired folks who could pull it off..
Old 28-03-2015, 09:40   #3

Re: Vegetarians and carnivores under the same roof

You already have the primary ingredient (excuse the pun) a good relationship.

After that its a simple matter of finding recipes that can satisfy both your carnivorous tastes and your wifes vegetarian tastes. I recommend getting a good vegetarian cook book; "The joy of cooking" is one that immediately comes to mind. Than find recipes that you can add meat too, after setting aside the vegetarian portion for your wife. The great thing about vegetarian cooking is it is very inexpensive, so you will have more money for the cruising kitty.

Also the fake meats from companies such as Yves, may even satisfy your carnivorous tastes in a pinch.

Your wife is a lot less hardline than my family is. I was raised on No meat, no eggs, no fish, and nothing prepared on a surface shared with any of those items. I lasted 21 years before succumbing to the fleshy goodness of meat.

My brother and his wife are in a similar situation to you. He is a vegetarian, she is not.

When it comes to food, there is no need to compromise, just find dishes you both like and add or subtract ingredients per individual taste.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: