Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 11:11   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Vegetarian Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulc View Post
The health benefits of vitamins have been debated. We still take a vitamin every day. Maybe it helps, maybe it don’t, doubt I will ever know for sure.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Good post, and perhaps you should know, my ex-wife was a vegetarian, so I know a bit about it.

I fully endorse eating healthy, and I eat somewhat like a bear... 80-90% is vegetables/fruit/grains and the rest meat of some variety, mainly moose, deer and some domestic.

My ex was a vegetarian, but did not eat healthy. Lots of processed foods (I eat none except margarine), she drank at least 2 liters of pop a day, bought nachos by Costco quantities, yet proudly talked about being a vegetarian.

I find many vegetarians pontificate, and when they do, I have a tendency to respond.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:22   #122

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Good post, and perhaps you should know, my ex-wife was a vegetarian, so I know a bit about it.

I fully endorse eating healthy, and I eat somewhat like a bear... 80-90% is vegetables/fruit/grains and the rest meat of some variety, mainly moose, deer and some domestic.

My ex was a vegetarian, but did not eat healthy. Lots of processed foods (I eat none except margarine), she drank at least 2 liters of pop a day, bought nachos by Costco quantities, yet proudly talked about being a vegetarian.

I find many vegetarians pontificate, and when they do, I have a tendency to respond.
That was a good post too
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 11:26   #123
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
cruising lifestyle and vegetarianism reverse arteriosclerosis?

Heres a randomized double blind study showing lifestyle changes and a vegetarian diet can reverse stenosis and improve heart function.

Intensive lifestyle changes for reversal of coronary he... [JAMA. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 20:25   #124

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
It intrigues me that vegetarians and vegans exude the benefits of their choice as being natural, yet NEED to revert to artificial and unnatural means to supplement dietary deficiencies and nutrients that would be obtained by meat, fish, fowl or even eggs.

Nothing like promulgating the pill popping culture.

It's such a first world thing.

I am amused at the Natural shops that are stacked with bottles and tins full of natural pills that are collected from trees naturally.

Your choice and good luck to you but any good diet should not need supplements from pill shops.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 02:09   #125

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

AVB3's post gave me a idea - Just maybe, being a vegan in this modern 1st World is actually healthier but fot a sort of backyards reason.

Eating veggies could be healthier than eating the processed, manufactured and artificially heavily hormoned, antibiotic'ized, and unnaturally fed animals that are being raised on growth hormone'd feed that is not their natural diet, e.g., "farmed salmon" being feed corn and other land-grown feed, cattle being fed ground-up dead other cattle).

So maybe it is the removal of these radically or otherwise altered foodstuffs from your diet that is responsible for the better health . . .

Also the supposed benefits of "Omega3" oils originated in the idea that very deep sea fish contained an oil that did not breakdown and get "digested" in the way that other oils did. But even here and now the "Omega3" oils are now being manufactured/extracted from sources other than very deep sea fish. See: http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-source-matter
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 03:14   #126
cruiser

Quote:
Meat, in moderation IS a healthier life style!

There is a reason we have omnivorous teeth; nature knows best, and omnivores need meat.

End of story... the rest is new age hyperbole.

Now, where is my low fat venison steak that is going to be BBQ'd today?
Our teeth are flat made for grinding grains and such, not for tearing flesh off carcasses. carnivore digestive tracts are 1/3 the length of herbivore digestive tracts, the human body is more in tune to digest plant based matter than it is to digest meat. Meat gets rancid and rots before it gets through the digestive system. Thats why meat eaters have such awful smelly flatulence. One thing I noticed after switching to a mainly vegan lifestyle is the gas has little to no smell, that goes for the perspiration also. So given that you regular meat eaters stink. Add to that the fact you feel the need to hijack posts to which you have no interest in and add no relevant information. Im not an ethical vegan. I eat fish and seafood when I catch it. I eat what I eat for health reasons. My father and my uncles suffer from arteriosclerosis and Im trying to avoid bypass surgeries stints and the like. Eat all the meat you want. Its your choice and we smell you.

A good alternative to butter. I like to sprinkle or spray olive oil sparingly over popcorn and add nutritional yeast and pepper instead of salt and butter. Avoids the sodium and cholesterol in the usual recipe. Also gets a shot of b12 as most nutritional yeast is fortified with the b12 and is loaded naturally with other b vitamins.
Old 31-05-2012, 03:56   #127

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Thread drift is tradition here on CF - And for tradition's sake - notice in the diagram below that the human front teeth are "incisors" designed for cutting; and behind them are "Canines" - I don't know too many dogs that are "vegan."

And those meat eating designed teeth enabled the "Miami Zombie" to do a number on some poor homeless guy in Miami a few days ago, "eating his face." Miami Face-Eating Attack Lasted 18 Agonizing Minutes - ABC News
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dentition-adult-human.jpeg
Views:	2010
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	41670  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 04:15   #128

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

@ Sea Crowne,

Without having to consume red meat It sounds like you have things under control. I have a similar philosophy to you. Anyway, why burn so many precious.amp hours just to preserve meat?

The thing that dissapoints me of late is the non-availibiliy of TVP at supermarkets over here. For some strange reason it seems to have dissappeared from the shelves.

While I have always been a fisherman, of lately I have gone off killing fish. Ironiccaly or not I now eat a lot of tinned sardines due the suppossed fact they are more sustainable than the fish I would otherwise kill.

Mmmm, musherooms! What a way to get those vitamins and minerals you might miss from abstaining from red meat!
Old 31-05-2012, 05:24   #129
cruiser

note the difference between dogs canines and human canines. To me ours look ideal for biting into an apple and dogs.......

Old 31-05-2012, 05:39   #130
cruiser

now heres the image of horse teeth, now seriously whose incisors do our teeth look more like.

Old 31-05-2012, 06:53   #131

I'm not sure what this thread is about, but we've been strict vegans for almost 11 years now (vegetarian for many more) and have been cruising for 8 years. We have found great fruit and veggies everywhere we go. People who eat meat seem to have a more difficult time finding products they like and feel are sanitary. When they find something they like they tend to buy them in bulk and have to keep them frozen for eating in the future.

Just an FYI about the vitamin supplements...fruits and veggies and grains supply all the vitamins and minerals and protein we need. The only reason B12 supplements are suggested is that B12 is made by a bacteria that is in the dirt. These days all our produce is so clean that all the B12 is washed off. Animals who eat more "naturally" ingest B12 via the dirt which is why "meat" is a source of B12.

It really is a personal choice. I don't know why people get so argumentative about it.
Eric. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 08:23   #132
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
...It really is a personal choice. I don't know why people get so argumentative about it.
It's because some people are zealots, think their personal choices are the best, and believe that anyone who hasn't seen the light needs to be converted. That riles up the anti-zealots, who hate to be told they're wrong and mis-guided, so they feel compelled to argue their own case while putting down the zealots.

Both sides have lost track of the original topic of this thread, which happens to be very old by the way--Nov, '07.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:05   #133
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

question for vegans , who eat NOTHING from animals--how do you get around the gelatin coating on capsules of b-12--that is made from animal stuff. gelatin is from boiled bones.
supplemental pills and capsules, even made from natural stuff have additives not natural. is not natural to have to take supplements made by humans or robotics.
so far, this antique thread has not addressed the op's original question, except in a few rare instances, which have been ignored by most posters to this thread.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:31   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
It's because some people are zealots, think their personal choices are the best, and believe that anyone who hasn't seen the light needs to be converted. That riles up the anti-zealots, who hate to be told they're wrong and mis-guided, so they feel compelled to argue their own case while putting down the zealots.

Both sides have lost track of the original topic of this thread, which happens to be very old by the way--Nov, '07.
But a heck of a lot more entertaining than

Guns
Pirates
Anchors
Monocats

We're posting pictures of teeeth and jaws now. I'm sure there is something to do with sailing somewhere in this thread.

Now the mods are gonna have to start shutting down food threads - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:42   #135

Boat: Tayana 42

zeehag, my wife buys vegan vitamins which contain b12. for a while we could not find them, so she bought vegeratian vitamins. i can get the brand name from her if you want to order some! from what I understand, something with additives that is not natural does not mean it is not vegan. not sure if you were implying that or not.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote