Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 08:20   #91

The term "carnivore" is completely inappropriate. Anyone who is a carnivore and not on a lot of supplements would be dead in months.

Omnivore, just like the human body was built to do. Horses don't have the teeth and digestive system to eat meat, we do. We have molars to smash grains and canines to rip flesh.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:35   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Vegetarian Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
You posted here why? To take a poke at someone with a healthier lifestyle? Your made out of meat also, so that makes you fair game for the next hungry soul with that attitude.
Meat, in moderation IS a healthier life style!

There is a reason we have omnivorous teeth; nature knows best, and omnivores need meat.

End of story... the rest is new age hyperbole.

Now, where is my low fat venison steak that is going to be BBQ'd today?
Old 20-05-2012, 11:11   #93
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri

Yes he is funny. But he overdoes it on sugar and oils.

The following link is too much information for most. Those with an intellectual curiosity and interest should read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...pagewanted=all
Very interesting article, thanks for postin that. Frightening potential issues with sugar, but as the author himself states they are not conclusive. And like many nutritional discussions with varying opinions, each opinion is rarely based in incontrovertible fact. Dietary guidelines change with the decade and there are vastly different cultural dietary practices that still yield healthy individuals see, Mediterranean, Japanese and French - each has elements that would be clearly seen as unhealthy respectively; high fat low calcium and iron, excessively high levels of simple carbs and starch, high fatsand alcohol. Yet each taken in context seems to produce a healthy overall diet from vastly different angles.

However the general argument across all threads seems to be valid...

...reduce meat consumption for your own health and the environment

...reduce sugar consumption, alcohol is the same as pouring sugar downyou mouth by the way! In fact most alcoholics upon sobriety, the next biggest problem to deal with is the incessant sugar cravings they can have for years...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 15:30   #94

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The term "carnivore" is completely inappropriate. Anyone who is a carnivore and not on a lot of supplements would be dead in months.

Omnivore, just like the human body was built to do. Horses don't have the teeth and digestive system to eat meat, we do. We have molars to smash grains and canines to rip flesh.
Although we have teeth that are called "canines", they bear little resemblance to the canines of carnivores. If that's the basis for your thinking on this, it's pretty thin evidence.

As to the other anatomical attributes that define whether we are an herbivore or omnivore, we are much closer to apes than any other animals. They are herbivores.

Obviously this is a contentious subject, and you will find proponents on both sides. Here's one that seems pretty comprehensive, by Milton R. Mills, M.D.
The Comparative Anatomy of Eating - Vegsource.com
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:45   #95

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Meat, in moderation IS a healthier life style!
I just love these blatant, fact-less statements. Zee and yourself must have gone to the same school of "Make it up as we go along College".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:50   #96
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I just love these blatant, fact-less statements. Zee and yourself must have gone to the same school of "Make it up as we go along College".
and YOU, my dearest, were the instructor..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:52   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Very interesting article, thanks for postin that. Frightening potential issues with sugar, but as the author himself states they are not conclusive. And like many nutritional discussions with varying opinions, each opinion is rarely based in incontrovertible fact. Dietary guidelines change with the decade and there are vastly different cultural dietary practices that still yield healthy individuals see, Mediterranean, Japanese and French - each has elements that would be clearly seen as unhealthy respectively; high fat low calcium and iron, excessively high levels of simple carbs and starch, high fatsand alcohol. Yet each taken in context seems to produce a healthy overall diet from vastly different angles.

However the general argument across all threads seems to be valid...

...reduce meat consumption for your own health and the environment

...reduce sugar consumption, alcohol is the same as pouring sugar downyou mouth by the way! In fact most alcoholics upon sobriety, the next biggest problem to deal with is the incessant sugar cravings they can have for years...
French? Please explain why you think French food is a healthy diet.

Japanese food low in iron? I don't think so: Lots of greens, including seaweed, and lots of seafood.
Old 20-05-2012, 16:58   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
and YOU, my dearest, were the instructor..

...I know you are but what am I?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-05-2012, 17:02   #99
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

avb3--ye can come to my shiplet here in la cruz--there is an awesome butcher store here with very tasty meats..and some great stores for veggies.....much better meats and better quality veggies than in usa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:21   #100

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Come on folks just because you chose a eating style that others don't wish to partake of ! don't get so far out there !! you are sure not gonna change anyones eating habits on this site !! and quoteing some one or another either for against what ya believe is the ONLY way to eat, is sure not gonna help !! Im 73 almost 74, and Im still pretty damn hail and hardy, can still lift my own body weight, and pull a 50 lb anchor by hand ! so what !! Ive eaten what I wanted when I wanted it all my life, and as most will I will comtinue to do so !! So lets give it a rest and maybe put some Veggie recipes, and I will put some Cajun fish and chickin dishs !! OK ?? I mean GEE Lets get happy again LOL just our 2 cents
Old 20-05-2012, 17:24   #101

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Just because ... I'm having a ribeye steak tonight.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:47   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri

Although we have teeth that are called "canines", they bear little resemblance to the canines of carnivores. If that's the basis for your thinking on this, it's pretty thin evidence.

As to the other anatomical attributes that define whether we are an herbivore or omnivore, we are much closer to apes than any other animals. They are herbivores.

Obviously this is a contentious subject, and you will find proponents on both sides. Here's one that seems pretty comprehensive, by Milton R. Mills, M.D.
Ah, yes. The great herbivore chimps...

Sorry don't mean to be rude but in the facts to the contrary one must at least "consider" changing ones beliefs. Almost never happens on the internet but I thought I 'd give it a shot.

BTW - Being a vegan or vegetarian on board or ashore is fine by me (the original question of the thread) and completely doable.

This is turning into an anchor thread...
Attached Images

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:54   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Ah, yes. The great herbivore chimps...

Sorry don't mean to be rued but in the facts to the contrary one must consider changing ones beliefs. Almost never happens on the internet but I thought I 'd give it a snot.

BTW - Being a vegan or vegetarian on board or ashore is fine by me (the original question of the thread)

This is turning into an anchor thread...
Yes you're right about chimps. And humans are also omnivores, as evidenced by this thread.

The point is/was about what is healthiest. But that point is also off topic so for me it's time to step back a bit and "chill".
Old 20-05-2012, 19:59   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Yes you're right about chimps. And humans are also omnivores, as evidenced by this thread.

The point is/was about what is healthiest. But that point is also off topic so for me it's time to step back a bit and "chill".
Yep...Me too...time to throw a veggie burg on the barbie, Crack open an Odwalla, and watch the eclipse.
Old 20-05-2012, 22:57   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

What you thought you knew is not correct. Gorillas do not eat meat, chimpanzees do.

Proof?

Here are a couple of YouTube videos of chimps hunting and eating other monkeys... not pretty, but reality.

Of course, this was first documented by Jane Goodall. Here is an article about chimp hunting and eating meat.

And another.

And just one study of why meat eating helped man evolve.

So, you were wrong.