Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 21-10-2013, 13:12   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Maybe they make good lovers, but the flatulence after, and sometimes during...eeew.
LOL, did you read Boatie's comment about 'Dutch Ovens'? I had to Google that one .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 13:19   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, the comment from Boatie that this food is "boring" encouraged me to redouble my efforts .

Pizza! Hands up who thinks this classic is boring? I must admit although it's still good without cheese, unless you have run out of it or are not including dairy in your diet, pizza is definitely better as 'slightly non vegan' (a bit like being 'slightly pregnant' LOL). It needs mozzarella preferably, and lots of it .

With cheese or not, it is still irresistible though .

PIZZA
Makes 2

Base:
around 450 ml slightly warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 sachet dry yeast
4 cups bread flour (high gluten)

Tomato sauce for base:
100 g tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp dry rosemary
Approx 2 tbl water

Topping:
Let your imagination run wild
My version tonight was 'green': olives, capsicum, capers and fresh basil.

Mix water, sugar and yeast and let stand until foaming (5-10 min). This is only to make sure the yeast is not a dud lot (saves disappointment later).
Sift flour, add yeast mixture and stir until a ball forms (add a little more water if necessary, should be very slightly sticky).
Knead 2-10 minutes depending on how enthusiastic you are. If you knead quickly, the surface does not have to be floured, so it saves a lot of mess.
Return dough to the bowl, cover and leave to rise until it has a least doubled in size. In 30+ degree weather it can just stand anywhere, in cooler weather I put a hot water bottle on top of the plate covering the dough (not underneath as it is too hot), and wrap it in something to help keep it warm. This is essential for success. If the temperature is warm enough it will more than double in bulk in less than an hour.

Meanwhile make up the tomato base. Finely chop the garlic and herbs together, mix with tomato paste and enough water to make it a good spreading consistency.

When the dough has risen, oil 2 flat trays (I use non stick baking paper as well as it minimises the clean up). Divide dough in two, drop on tray and with oiled hands pat out the dough to fill the tray. Top with tomato sauce and leave 5-10 minutes while preparing topping. It starts to smell good at this stage!

Don't put too much topping on, as the dough gets squished. Avoid wet toppings like sliced tomatoes.

Bake in a hot oven about 20 minutes, then repeat with second one.

Pizza, red wine, a fire on the beach, near full moon, yacht swinging lazily at anchor in the background....... After dinner tonight I take back my recent comments on another thread - cruising is definitely romantic .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	69103  

Old 21-10-2013, 13:21   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

John must be a saint if he has never treated you to one of those.

Damn, you put another post in. I am referring to the Dutch Oven.

Coops.
Old 21-10-2013, 13:25   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
John must be a saint if he has never treated you to one of those.

Damn, you put another post in. I am referring to the Dutch Oven.

Coops.
We never use any covers .
(Oops, too much information LOL).

Old 21-10-2013, 13:49   #50

Quote:
I am using the term 'vegan recipes' as recipes including no animal products.

The word 'vegan' does sadly seem to be viewed as a dirty word . Where is our tolerance? . Your description of vegans as being "a little nutty" is probably a view very commonly expressed. In fact "nutty" is probably one of the kinder words I have heard LOL.
Seaworthy Lass,
Thank you for your clarification. It was the title of your post, "Vegans Make Good Lovers", that made me think that there was a lifestyle implied or associated.

However, there are a lot of vegetarians who drink milk and think that they are vegans. I was trying to point out the meaning of the word and I am glad that you understand it.
MaryEllenCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 14:22   #51

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

With two vegan daughters I could probably get my hands on a stack of recipes pretty easily. While I'm not vegan - I'm eating less meat and more veggies these days. Maybe it's the bottom-up influence coming at me from my progeny.

With vegan food, I think some people counteract the more mundane ingredients by increasing the spiciness level with Jamacian Jerk, Mexican, or Indian curry herbs.

So are vegans better lovers? Reminds me of a story told by a GI entering France in the WWII time-frame, during liberation. "All the women were trim, toned and beautiful" he said. French men told him the reason that the women looked so trim. It was the rationed food (which included almost no meat - but occasionally included some eggs) - forced vegetarianism. Additionally, they traveled everywhere only with bicycles, because fuel was not rationed - it was simply not available. Of course, being malnourished and lethargic, they probably weren't very good lovers ...
Old 21-10-2013, 14:30   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryEllenCarter View Post
Seaworthy Lass,
Thank you for your clarification. It was the title of your post, "Vegans Make Good Lovers", that made me think that there was a lifestyle implied or associated.

However, there are a lot of vegetarians who drink milk and think that they are vegans. I was trying to point out the meaning of the word and I am glad that you understand it.
My original title was 'Favourite Vegan Boat Recipes' .
If you check out post #1 you will see I added a note:

"Edited to add: Well, I heard that sex sells so I thought I would give it a shot and see if I could entice anyone to make a few contributions and maybe try a few vegan recipes when cruising by changing the title of this thread.
This is actually a thread on favourite vegan boat recipes ."

Sorry the title is so misleading, but it was successful in generating some interest in vegan recipes. I do find them invaluable while cruising. Hopefully the title may make members less shy about contributing their favourite plant based recipes and that will give all of us some fresh ideas .

Old 21-10-2013, 18:43   #53

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
They may make good lovers but...
The foods boring and the farts are awful.....
And they taste bad...
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 18:59   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I live just around the corner from a vegan restaurant. How come they all look like emaciated corpses ?
Old 21-10-2013, 19:13   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am not vegan. But, I would rather look like, extreme statement here, an emaciated corpse, than, another extreme statement, 25 stone of lard.

Coops.
Old 21-10-2013, 19:17   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I am not vegan. But, I would rather look like, extreme statement here, an emaciated corpse, than, another extreme statement, 25 stone of lard.

Coops.
I think I agree, but for those of us who either understand metric and or imperial units, how many pounds or kilograms are that?
Old 21-10-2013, 19:50   #57

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
OK, the comment from Boatie that this food is "boring" encouraged me to redouble my efforts .

Pizza! Hands up who thinks this classic is boring? I must admit although it's still good without cheese, unless you have run out of it or are not including dairy in your diet, pizza is definitely better as 'slightly non vegan' (a bit like being 'slightly pregnant' LOL). It needs mozzarella preferably, and lots of it .

With cheese or not, it is still irresistible though .

PIZZA
Makes 2

Base:
around 450 ml slightly warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 sachet dry yeast
4 cups bread flour (high gluten)

Tomato sauce for base:
100 g tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
1 tsp dry rosemary
Approx 2 tbl water

Topping:
Let your imagination run wild
My version tonight was 'green': olives, capsicum, capers and fresh basil.

Mix water, sugar and yeast and let stand until foaming (5-10 min). This is only to make sure the yeast is not a dud lot (saves disappointment later).
Sift flour, add yeast mixture and stir until a ball forms (add a little more water if necessary, should be very slightly sticky).
Knead 2-10 minutes depending on how enthusiastic you are. If you knead quickly, the surface does not have to be floured, so it saves a lot of mess.
Return dough to the bowl, cover and leave to rise until it has a least doubled in size. In 30+ degree weather it can just stand anywhere, in cooler weather I put a hot water bottle on top of the plate covering the dough (not underneath as it is too hot), and wrap it in something to help keep it warm. This is essential for success. If the temperature is warm enough it will more than double in bulk in less than an hour.

Meanwhile make up the tomato base. Finely chop the garlic and herbs together, mix with tomato paste and enough water to make it a good spreading consistency.

When the dough has risen, oil 2 flat trays (I use non stick baking paper as well as it minimises the clean up). Divide dough in two, drop on tray and with oiled hands pat out the dough to fill the tray. Top with tomato sauce and leave 5-10 minutes while preparing topping. It starts to smell good at this stage!

Don't put too much topping on, as the dough gets squished. Avoid wet toppings like sliced tomatoes.

Bake in a hot oven about 20 minutes, then repeat with second one.

Pizza, red wine, a fire on the beach, near full moon, yacht swinging lazily at anchor in the background....... After dinner tonight I take back my recent comments on another thread - cruising is definitely romantic .
Try brushing pizza dough with olive oil,, spread some home made hummus on it, topped with kalamata olives, oregano, onions, tomatoes, egg plants- veggies sliced paper thin- and fresh oregano. And if you're not vegan, top with feta cheese. Put the fresh oregano under the veggies so it doesn't get toasted in the oven.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 20:26   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I think I agree, but for those of us who either understand metric and or imperial units, how many pounds or kilograms are that?
Sorry, for you ex colonials then, 350 pounds.

Coops
Old 21-10-2013, 21:09   #59

Boat: Looking for a new boat

It's true! My wife is vegan!!!!

1 can pinto beans
1 can cannelini beans (or whatever)
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can black olives
2 peppers red and yellow
1/2 onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley
tons of lemon juice. tons!!!!
salt and pepper to taste.

No BS this is one of the best recipes ever. It is one of those things I can just eat and eat and eat!
Old 21-10-2013, 21:45   #60

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Darn good recipes!! all most of them need is a piece of pork to be great !!!