Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 03:31   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
I would not DARE to make them. Not chocolate. I will not buy chocolate because it calls to me... and I am weak....

Now - my lemon drizzle cake might work here - although it does need eggs and I have already been naughty with the beef stock cubes!
Well, the terms 'naughty' and 'SWL' go hand in hand, so it suits this thread well . Given I have eggs on board at the moment (and I have survived discussions about eating bats), I would love the recipe .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:04   #107

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I made this black bean and quinoa recipe over the weekend and it was delicious and vegan friendly! Highly suggest trying- Quinoa and Black Beans Recipe - Allrecipes.com
CruiserMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 14:46   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserMom View Post
I made this black bean and quinoa recipe over the weekend and it was delicious and vegan friendly! Highly suggest trying- Quinoa and Black Beans Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Hi CruiserMom
I have never tried quinoa, so I did a little reading and found:

- It looks like a grain but is actually a seed.
- It comes in different colours: white (the most common), red and black.
- It is high in protein.
- It tastes better if you cook it whole, but is also available puffed to use as cereal.
- Wash it before cooking it to remove any bitter residue.
- It has a chewy texture a bit like barley, but it is fluffy like couscous.
- The Incas regarded the crop as sacred

This has sparked my interest, but it may be a while before I can source any.
Thanks for the link .

PS Also read that it is pronounced "keen-wa"!!!

Old 28-10-2013, 14:46   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quiona and roasted butternut squash is great. Quickly roast up a few walnuts, sprinkle on top and start eating.

Even better when you add chicken breast to it.

Then it's fantastic.

But that's this omnivore talking.
Old 29-10-2013, 00:51   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Borscht

I have read more variations of this recipe than you can shake a stick at (there is even a green sour version made with sorrel instead of beetroot that is simply called Green Borscht), so don't crucify me if this is not the way your granny made it .

Some recipes call for a beef broth base, some not. The beetroot can be boiled separately for an hour before chopping it, or if finely chopped it may be just tossed in with the rest of the veg. Sometimes the onion and carrot are sautéed first as I do, or alternatively boiled up along with the potatoes. Kidney beans and tomato paste may be used instead of the baked beans, or the beans omitted altogether. Tomato is not necessarily used......

Don't pressure cook this soup. You need to be careful not to turn the veg into soft mush. Dill is necessary for the classic flavour, but substitute it for parsley or omit it if greens are just not available. It just begs for a dollop of sour cream or at least thick yoghurt, but this can of course be left out if you are avoiding dairy or none is on hand.

The beetroot flavour is very subtle. It is nothing like vinegar laden tinned beetroot so don't even think about using this as a substitute for fresh beets .

This is the SWL version . I make it often as all the veg are locally grown here in Greece and in season they are usually readily available in even the smallest family run grocery. The colour is to die for. My unique addition is a teaspoon of whole peppercorns. They give an occasional beautiful peppery bite.

BORSCHT

1 tbl oil
1 onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 medium beetroot, peeled, sliced very thinly and cut into matchsticks
About 6 cups water
2 stock cubes (I use chicken, but vegetable would be fine)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole mixed peppercorns (or just season with ground pepper at the end)
1/2 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
400g can whole tomatoes (the colour will be an even deeper purple without)
1 tsp sugar (brings out the flavour of both the tomatoes and beets)
400g can baked beans (or drained kidney beans or no beans)
Salt and pepper to taste (I find neither is usually needed)
Handful fresh dill (or parsley)

Sauté the onion and carrot.
Add the potato, beetroot, water, stock cubes, bay leaves and peppercorns.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cabbage, tomatoes, sugar and beans and more water if there is room (I use a 3 litre pot)
Continue simmering until the veg are done. Don't overdo it or the intense colour will start to dull.
Season to taste.

I find this soup really improves with standing a day or at least several hours. The colour of the beetroot then permeates all the vegetables completely and the flavours develop. When the soup is done and while it is still simmering, I ladle it into four 700g sized glass jars and immediately seal. It lasts well for at least a week unrefrigerated in anything but summer.

Before serving the soup, reheat it, add a few tablespoons of chopped dill, ladle into bowls, (dollop with sour cream or thick yoghurt if using) and top with a sprig of dill.

Serve with rye bread or warm soft rolls. A shot of vodka is optional .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	69477  

Old 29-10-2013, 22:51   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lemon drizzle cake

Well, it was a flop. But only sort of .

I have been baking cakes since I was 10 and this is the first one that collapsed so thoroughly LOL. Any comments from anyone who bakes vegan cakes, as to what could have gone wrong with either the ingredients or method? The cake reached three times its final height while it was baking.

The flavour was lovely though. The texture was very moist, and despite sinking it wasn't super dense, but it didn't have the height I expect and want from cakes. On the other hand my hubby loved it and said not to alter it as he definitely prefers cakes moist, not fluffy, so go figure .

Next time I will try using my yoghurt cake recipe as the base (it needs yoghurt and eggs to go this, so it is not vegan, but would have a small fraction of the saturated fat content) and I'll report back for those of you that think good cakes can only be made with butter .

'FLOPPY BUT GOOD' LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE

250g butter
1/4 cup EV olive oil (I just couldn't bring myself to put a cup in)
1/2 cup water (no soy milk here or I would have used that and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, or plain milk and vinegar if I wasn't playing with what was possible)
200g (=1 cup) caster sugar
200g (= 1.5 cups) self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large or 3 medium eggs
2 medium lemons

I followed Beverley's method, but when it came to adding the flour I fold it it very gently.

I love food and I love cooking. I enjoy experimenting and taking myself out of my comfort zone. Boat cuisine has challenged me at times with limited ingredients.

Thanks Beverley for pushing me to try a vegan version of lemon drizzle cake. I have never tried making a vegan cake before. Eggs have always seemed essential for cakes and I have not wanted to waste ingredients and time on something that may either fail or not be enjoyed.

Although this cake sunk appallingly, I would still say the recipe is excellent for an emergency when no eggs or butter or even yoghurt are on hand. Munching on drizzle cake as I write, my hubby has pronounced that he wants it again and he can be a harsh critic .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	386
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	69544  

Old 29-10-2013, 23:24   #112

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seaworthy Lass, try online for a Mayonaise cake recipe!! my mother used mayo in cakes all the time! worked well ! Just a thought, I know it has eggs in it, but we have run out of eggs many times and still had mayo LOL
Old 30-10-2013, 03:36   #113

Re: Lemon drizzle cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Well, it was a flop. But only sort of .

I have been baking cakes since I was 10 and this is the first one that collapsed so thoroughly LOL. Any comments from anyone who bakes vegan cakes, as to what could have gone wrong with either the ingredients or method? The cake reached three times its final height while it was baking.
I suspect the lack of eggs was the problem. Eggs - particularly the whites - give stiffness and since the cake did rise I think that the lack of stiffness was the cause.

The other possibility is that it had not set yet. I test it by opening the door of the oven and reaching with a wooden spoon and gently tapping the top of the cake. If it is "bouncy" or "wobbly" I leave it in. When the top is firm then I turn the oven off and open the oven door so the cake does not go from hot oven to cold room in a few seconds.

Quote:
The flavour was lovely though. The texture was very moist, and despite sinking it wasn't super dense, but it didn't have the height I expect and want from cakes. On the other hand my hubby loved it and said not to alter it as he definitely prefers cakes moist, not fluffy, so go figure .
Well, it is good to hear that something was salvaged and I am glad it tasted nice for you.

There is always next time....
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 07:26   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Innovative centerpiece (centrepiece outside the USA)

Name:	ForumRunner_20131030_082552.png
Views:	405
Size:	378.1 KB
ID:	69561
Old 31-10-2013, 19:23   #115

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Hi SmartMove Well, I can at least now say it's true - sex does sell LOL. And I didn't even have to offer my body up to find that out As I have a meat lover on my hands and often no access to meat for weeks on end in summer, I have had to experiment and I've found lots of good substitutes. I find as long as the pulses are 'disguised', my hubby will happily eat them, so pureeing soups is a big success. I have learned mushrooms and lentils often make reasonable substitutes for meat in stews, particularly where they are heavily flavoured with herbs or spices. When I have run out of dairy produce (and it does occasionally happen when cruising) I have been challenged at times. Some of the dishes I have made have been hugely successful though and have become real favourites even when the choice of supplies is unlimited. Given difficulties in purchasing provisions in many of the best cruising spots and then the difficulties in storing food long term unrefrigerated, many vegan recipes really do lend themselves superbly to cruising. PM me your killer chilli verde recipe and I will experiment with it (I love experimenting ) and I'll report back . SWL xxx
We were off the boat for a few weeks, we are back now. It will take me a bit to get everything in order and make a batch of Chili Verde. I will PM the recipe for your vegan make over in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking there are a few here that will like the pork version, but I am keeping an open mind (and tummy)!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Seaworthy Lass, try online for a Mayonaise cake recipe!! my mother used mayo in cakes all the time! worked well ! Just a thought, I know it has eggs in it, but we have run out of eggs many times and still had mayo LOL
I make my own mayo when needed. Read here on CF that mayo once opened and kept is deadly .
Has Connie made a mayo cake? I hear she is renowned for her baking. What does she do when you run out of eggs? My usual treat up to now has been to make yeast based coffee cinnamon scrolls or oatmeal cookies (choc or lemon), rather than cakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
We were off the boat for a few weeks, we are back now. It will take me a bit to get everything in order and make a batch of Chili Verde. I will PM the recipe for your vegan make over in the next couple of weeks.
Robyn
Thanks . I will give it a whirl converting it, or just make it as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Sounds good, but am I willing to change my tried and tested recipe? Maybe I'll give it a go with my homemade yoghurt!
You can always keep both recipes in your fabulous repertoire . The yoghurt version is a great 'everyday' cake.
By the way, I have made your almond choc cake over and over. I take a hammer ashore with the whole almonds. My stick mixer just doesn't handle grinding them.
Hope you are both well.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:24   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
You can always keep both recipes in your fabulous repertoire . The yoghurt version is a great 'everyday' cake.
By the way, I have made your almond choc cake over and over. I take a hammer ashore with the whole almonds. My stick mixer just doesn't handle grinding them.
Hope you are both well.

I haven't made that one for ages - I have more ground almonds on their way out to me in December!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Banana chutney

I have been busy baking the last few days and sorting out recipes in the app I downloaded. Thanks everyone for the recipes I have been sent. The zucchini chocolate cake (non vegan) was a winner.

Zucchinis were sourced from a lady living in this isolated bay. When I went for my walk yesterday I took a quarter of the cake for her. Her face lit up when tasting it and we had a fun time when I tried to convey the recipe. Her English was patchy and my Greek almost non existent, so I pulled out one of her teaspoons and cups and with a lot of shared laughter explained ingredients and quantities. I was handed two handfuls of free range eggs for my trouble .

It is 22 km to town on a rough 4WD track and I had asked if Maria could buy a few items for me next time she went shopping, which she had kindly done. Six bananas had somehow translated to six kilos, so we will have our fill of banana cake for a while!

Banana chutney was the logical thing to make with this excess. This has a divine flavour and is wonderful on warm bread or toast, as well as with curries. I have just bottled a few jars and as it is 'vegan', the recipe is attached .

Anyone else with favourite plant based recipes to share here?

BANANA CHUTNEY

3 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 cup currants (or 200 g pack)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1.5 kg (approx 12) bananas (weigh after peeling)
2 onions
2 cloves garlic

- Combine most of the ingredients in a pressure cooker
- Slice banana and add
- Chop onion and finely chop garlic and add
- Bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent burning
- Put on lid and bring to pressure
- Turn off and leave an hour
- Take lid off, bring back to a boil, ladle in sterilised sealed jars and seal
- Store in a dark cool place (like most chutney, it improves with time)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	399
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	69758  

Old 03-11-2013, 03:12   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Banana chutney sounds very interesting, maybe we'll be there in time to try some before it all goes!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Banana chutney sounds very interesting, maybe we'll be there in time to try some before it all goes!
Can't wait to see you. Banana cake will be on the menu as well LOL.
Will email. Strong S on Wed, so you may be here Tues?
A x