Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2011, 20:50   #31

Boat: N/M 45
Re: Vacuum food sealer---Critique my idea

Beetle carries a FoodSaver model VAC800 that draws 0.95Amps at 120vAC - will easily run on the 1000 watt inverter.

I've used it for everything from storing underwear (dry) to cooked cheeseburgers prior to freezing to batteries. It works a treat.

A vacuum sealer turns out to be a most handy home appliance for keeping things dry - something handy to have on the boat.

- rob/beetle

Old 03-07-2011, 13:56   #32

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
We looked at them today and it's on our list to get after we return from holiday later this month. Read somewhere vacuum sealing clothes with a dryer sheet keeps them fresh and nice to clear customs...and for maybe when one just needs a fresh smelling garment. They now seem indispensable.

Old 03-07-2011, 14:39   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Vacuum Food Sealer---Critique My Idea

Boy !!!! you must have a leaky boat when you have to vacuum bag your Jocks Jacko
Old 03-07-2011, 15:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The dryer fresh sheet inside the vacuum bag with the clothing sound like a good idea. We have vacuum packed winter clothing including fur coats when we cruised in the Caribbean. Beside keeping moisture and buggies out of the clothing it also really compresses the size of the clothes down to a fraction of their original folded size. That alone makes vacuum packing clothes great as you can get three times more clothes stored away.
Old 14-07-2011, 02:32   #35

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
We looked at them today and it's on our list to get after we return from holiday later this month. Read somewhere vacuum sealing clothes with a dryer sheet keeps them fresh and nice to clear customs...and for maybe when one just needs a fresh smelling garment. They now seem indispensable.
Do not let a dryer sheet lay against stored clothing. It will stain.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 14-07-2011, 07:24   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Do not let a dryer sheet lay against stored clothing. It will stain.
Judy S/V BeBe
How do you keep the dryer sheet away from the clothing in the vacuum bag?
Old 17-07-2011, 00:36   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Have been wondering about this since I read the post...and it does make sense. Maybe ANOTHER plastic bag inside with the dryer sheet (and ventilation holes poked into inside bag BEFORE vacuum sealing?
Old 17-07-2011, 09:24   #38

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"I [Entlie] do use salt water to cook pasta, mostly, if the water is very clean." ==> Not being a cook I have often wondered about the uses of clean offshore salt water in cooking (sorry about the thread drift - this is the first mention I have seen of someone using seawater for cooking). Not having a freezer, I don't have frozen meals to boil in a pouch - but military style MREs (Meals, Ready to Eat) are really good (remember I am not a cook) and they do come in pouches that can be heated this way without needing refrigeration. Another use of seawater that I have considered is in steaming vegetables and such - using seawater shouldn't make any difference. Are there other uses such as boiling corn on the cob?

Since one liter of seawater will weigh 1.027 kg. containing 27g of dissolved salts - the more expensive sea salt one pays a premium for in health food stores - and one teaspoon of salt (regular NaCl) = 6.375 g; then there are 4.2352 teaspoons in each liter of seawater. So I think that 236 ml of seawater would be the equivalent of one teaspoon of sea salt.

So if one has boiled seawater (perhaps from making pasta, steaming vegetables or boiling pouches), is there any reason that it cannot be used in recipes that need both liquid and salt?

It would seem like one doesn't need to buy and carry salt when one is sitting in an ocean of the stuff. Does anyone do this?
Old 17-07-2011, 17:13   #39

Not a thread drift at all...I mentioned boiling the pouches with frozen pre-made meals in salt water. There are lots of threads on here about using sea salt at sea. :-). Not sure about using in recipes...have not thought of nor researched that. I plan to have a watermaker but still like idea of using sea salt to boil and getting comfortable with a lifestyle that focuses on conservation. Except...I do want refrigeration. :-) I can see that suggestion popping up, and I don't think that's the thing for me.
Old 17-07-2011, 21:19   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
. . . Are there other uses such as boiling corn on the cob?
. . . So if one has boiled seawater (perhaps from making pasta, steaming vegetables or boiling pouches), is there any reason that it cannot be used in recipes that need both liquid and salt? . . .
Sea Water/Ocean water is not just Sodium Chloride and water and a few other minerals. It also contains an enormous amount of live animals and plants. Where do you think all that slime, grass, barnacles, shrimp and other critters came from that are attached to the bottom of your boat?
- - Unless you put the ocean water through a rather intensive filtering system, you will be ingesting a lot of "extra" stuff besides the pasta.
Old 17-07-2011, 21:49   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

much of that extra stuff is really not bad for ye-- and will prolly not harm ye when cooked with potatoes or pasta or what ever. if ye eat swordfish or other larger higher on food chain fish, you are eating sea water in filtered forms anyway. is nice to be where no man has gone before, as it were.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 05:36   #42

Re: Vacuum Food Sealer - Critique My Idea

"Sea Water/Ocean water is not just Sodium Chloride and water and a few other minerals. It also contains an enormous amount of live animals and plants." - Not after being boiled - free soup! All that stuff is freely ingested when swimming and snorkeling without the benefit of boiling. I read once that if they had but known, in bygone days sailors could have prevented scurvy by trailing a fine mesh net in the water and eating the phytoplankton that was trapped - rich in vitamin 'C'.
Old 18-07-2011, 06:52   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Besides the "critters" and plants/grasses, etc. in seawater there are other toxic things being dumped by the billions of tons into the seas - - -

Issue 5 - Toxic Chemicals in Seawater
"PCBs have become widespread and serious pollutants, and have contaminated most terrestrial and marine food chains. They are extremely resistant to breakdown and are known to be carcinogenic. PCBs have been linked to mass mortalities of striped dolphins in the Mediterranean, to declines in orca (killer whale) populations in Puget Sound, and to declines of seal populations in the Baltic.'

Toxic Chemicals Are Causing Cancer in Whales - The Naked Scientists
"It turns out that high levels of toxic chemicals in seawater are causing cancers the develop in Whales. (that's the animal, not the country !) About 2% of marine mammals, including whales, die from intestinal cancers, but scientists studying a population of Beluga Whales living in St. Lawrence, Quebec, have found intestinal cancers in almost 25% of dead whales that they have examined."

And on the other hand:
Oceans awash in toxic seas of plastic | The Japan Times Online
"But what is now becoming clear is that when pieces of plastic meet other pollutants in the ocean, the results can be even more toxic. That's because, as a growing number of studies are showing, the plastic debris absorbs harmful chemicals from the seawater it floats in, acting like a "pollution sponge" that concentrates those chemicals and poses a different, more insidious threat to marine and other life."

- - But, unless you really filter out the tiny pellets, that come in 1mm to 5mm sizes, you may be introducing a "free soup" of poisons into your seawater cooking pot. - -
"Meanwhile, at the same time as plastic garbage is acting like a sponge for environmental pollution, research also shows it is releasing another set of chemicals into seawater — and possibly into the bodies of the creatures that eat it."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...eans-seas.html
Though ocean-borne plastic trash has a reputation as an indestructible, immortal environmental villain, scientists announced yesterday that some plastics actually decompose rapidly in the ocean. And, the researchers say, that's not a good thing.

The team's new study is the first to show that degrading plastics are leaching potentially toxic chemicals such as bisphenol A into the seas, possibly threatening ocean animals, and us. . .

The Japan-based team collected samples in waters from the U.S., Europe, India, Japan, and elsewhere, lead researcher Katsuhiko Saido, a chemist with the College of Pharmacy at Nihon University in Japan, said via email.

All the water samples were found to contain derivatives of polystyrene, a common plastic used in disposable cutlery, Styrofoam, and DVD cases, among other things, said Saido, who presented the findings at a meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington, D.C., today.
Old 18-07-2011, 20:26   #44

"PCBs have become widespread and serious pollutants, and have contaminated most terrestrial and marine food chains." - OK, so no place is safe. It is just going to be tough to get my catamaran off planet - especially since there are no suitable cruising areas in the local solar system.

"It turns out that high levels of toxic chemicals in seawater are causing cancers the develop in Whales." - An interesting but relatively useless fact since there is no baseline from say a hundred years ago to determine what the natural rate of of intestinal cancers in marine mammals might be. Given that many marine mammals ingest massive amounts of seawater with their food I hardly think that the amounts are comparable. Some marine mammals such as grey whales take bites out of the bottom mud and potentially ingest all kinds of possibly toxic stuff.

"But, unless you really filter out the tiny pellets, that come in 1mm to 5mm sizes, you may be introducing a "free soup" of poisons into your seawater cooking pot." - Look at anything closely enough and you will not likely like what you see. Given all the stuff on land that I am exposed to, I will take my chances with seawater. Not long ago it was revealed that Chinese businessmen put an industrial poison into baby formula so the tests would show a higher protein concentration and they could make a few extra yuan. Just walking down the street here in the Philippines is likely to introduce more contaminates into my system via breathing traffic fumes than 236 ml of seawater is likely have.

To be safe I suppose that I could move to Denver, CO so I can escape the poisonous ocean environment - oops, but then I would have to contend with increased radiation levels. I guess that I am just doomed to die.
Old 18-07-2011, 21:02   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All valid interpretations of the hazards of living on this planet - but when it comes to using ocean water or R.O. Water or even charcoal filtered potable water from on islands, etc. - I will stay with fresh potable water.
- - One trick I learned from the big yacht boys is to get a household water filter canister with a charcoal filter in it and attach two garden hose fitting to the inlet/outlet. Then I filter all the water going into my boat's tanks. At the galley I have installed a "bar tap" with another charcoal filter canister so all cooking and drinking water is double filtered.

Tags
food

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: