Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2015, 11:31   #1

Tortola groceries

In a few days I will be renting a boat from Tortola and sailing around the BVI's for a week. There will be 8 of us and we are looking to self provision our boat via groceries and liquor on Tortola. Any help here in steering us away from tourist pricing and to an more "affordable" grocery and liquor would be greatly appreciated.

Old 18-01-2015, 12:10   #2

Re: Tortola groceries

We were happy with Bobby's Market.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-01-2015, 12:22   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Right - ditto Bobby's. Home - Bobby's Supermarket

The last time I did a BVI charter (2004) you could order online from Bobby's before you got to the island and they would deliver to the bareboat dock at the time you specify. I can't remember if liquor was handled the same way...

2 Hulls Dave
Old 18-01-2015, 13:06   #4

Boat: Catalina 310

Another vote for Bobby's Market. They also will drive you to and from the charter bases for free if you buy more than $150 worth of stuff. They sell alcohol so that wasn't an issue for 4 of us for 10 days.

Another good choice is the market at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor in Spanish Town. The Baths will often be too busy of the conditions too rough for the Baths mornings. For around $40 for a 43 foot boat you can get a slip for the night. Top off the tanks, get groceries and take a cab for around $10 over to the baths.
Old 18-01-2015, 13:11   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Which charter company are you with (or, in other words, where will your boat be docked)? The best selection and prices on Tortola right now are undoubtedly Riteway; which is close enough to the Moorings/Sunsail docks to be able to carry groceries - excepting heavy loads of liquid refreshments. Bobby's is an option if your boat is at Village Cay and if you are based out of Soper's Hole then there's a well-stocked grocery there (wear long-sleeved shirt and pant in there - the whole store feels like a freezer and the employees wear parkas!).
From recent pictures it seems that even the under-stocked grocery at Nanny Cay is being renovated and will hopefully offer a good shopping experience in the future.
Old 18-01-2015, 15:37   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Which charter company are you with (or, in other words, where will your boat be docked)? The best selection and prices on Tortola right now are undoubtedly Riteway; which is close enough to the Moorings/Sunsail docks to be able to carry groceries - excepting heavy loads of liquid refreshments.
As Zanshin says. Out the gate to the maon road, turn right, walk 357 metets, cross road to huge supermarket.

Liquor store: out of charter base, to main rd. walk 100 meters, dont cross road.... Booze shop roght there.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 18:58   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

There is a really nice french brasserie there as well, very laid back for a quick breakfast... lots of awesome cheeses you can't find anywhere else as well.
Old 18-01-2015, 19:13   #8

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We prefered the market at the marina in Spanishtown (Virgin Gorda) to any of the markets on Tortola. My recommendation would be to save the main provisioning until you get there, and plan to stop there early in the trip -- first day if possible.
Old 19-01-2015, 08:11   #9

Thank you all very much for the recommendations. We are with Footloose charters on Tortola. Arriving on Friday afternoon. I will find the location and shop accordingly. They offer provisioning services and some of the prices seemed in line with what we were expecting and some were quite exorbitant. I realize the sticker shock to most of these items is par for the course in the islands. I will take your advice and shop when we arrive with friends.
Old 19-01-2015, 09:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30

I've used Bobby's for provisioning in the past and, while they did a good job, have found that shopping directly at RiteWay is preferable.

Depending on whether you have a car available, I actually prefer the one at East End on Fat Hog's Bay. They have a great selection of virtually everything and is a bit less crowded and frantic than the markets in Road Town.

Murph'

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

Doing the Loop in 2015
Old 19-01-2015, 10:18   #11

Quote:
RiteWay is preferable.

Depending on whether you have a car available,
Easy walk to Riteway from the Moorings. There were drivers in the parking lot offering to give us a lift back with all our stuff....no idea what the charge would be.

Some opted to "borrow" the shopping cart for the walk back. Hey, the cases of beer was heavy!
Old 19-01-2015, 19:16   #12

This is my first time on a blog and I am so pleased that people take the time to help. I will reciprocate in the future now that I am learning this form of sharing. We are going to spend the night in Roadtown at Whachtmans Cay on Friday pm and head to St. John on Saturday am. Best to hit the recommended spots on Tortolla or stock up at St. John? Also, has anyone experienced fishing around the islands in Jan and Feb? We have our licenses and are very well versed at fishing and want to try our luck. Possibly we could catch Wahoo or the like and bring to a restaurant for dinner?
Old 19-01-2015, 20:54   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Rite way for groceries and Caribbean Cellars for cokes, mixers, liquor, and wine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-01-2015, 03:24   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

What ever you do - don't "over provision". Most folks end up eating out more than anticipated. Get lots and lots of snacks, water, and drinks, however...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: