Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2011, 10:48   #1

Boat: S/V ARGO - Pacific Seacraft 37
Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard ?

We've purchased a pressure canner and have started to can lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, etc.

The issue is that these are in mason canning jars, and while they are thick enough to withstand the pressures and heat of canning, I'm not so sure how well they will last in the settees getting banged around. And the last thing I want is a bunch of sticky peaches and glass in the settee lockers and/or bilge.

Does anyone have any experience with this, tips, methods for storage. I was thinking about different things to put around the jars to protect them, such as:

- Socks (works for our wine)

- getting some thin neoprene and sewing covers

- using some thin line and making a net type cover

- wrapping in towels

Thanks,
Ryan
jrroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:30   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard?

The motion of a boat isn't all that bad even in storm conditions. As long as the jars are relativley secured in place, they should be okay. If they have room to accelarate in a tack or rough seas, it's another story. Most lockers aren't that large, however. A removable partition(s)/fiddle(s) splitting the locker into smaller sections length wise should take care of most problems with the bottles being flung about in all but survival conditions. Simply putting the empty jars back in the locker they came out of will also limit the acceleration room.

Recently bought some wine and the store put the bottles in a foam open ended netting sleeve. It was just a foam netting sleeve on a roll that they cut lengths off of and put the bottles in. Don't know where they got it or what it's called to find it on the internet. It seemed an ingenious invention to protect glass as it would stretch to accomodate a large variation in bottle diameter, was relatively compact for the protection provided, and wouldn't absorb water.

I'd be certain a locker was water proof before using any towels or such as padding. If they get wet, they'll make a stinky mess and trap water.

Extreme knockdowns or an inversion are something that takes a lot of time and effort to protect yourself from. Fortunately, it's something that almost never happens to the typical cruiser. Unless you go to areas where almost none of us do and/or sail in seasons where you can expect bad weather, it won't happen. To make your boat roll over proof, everything has to be strapped down and/or openings secured with strong latches that can withstand the weight of the contents. Would venture to say that the typical cruiser isn't roll over proofed.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

There is bubble wrap that comes as pockets....just in case the jars slide or your bow drops big time. It looks like all you would have to do is to tape the pockets closed.

http://www.uline.com/Grp_135/Bubble-Bags

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 11:37   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

I would leave the rings on also. Otherwise a flat could pop off.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 12:49   #5

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I've successfully used socks, cutting out the heel portion and using both the toe and anklet portion. Yes, I leave on the outer rings, and the ones with toes are stacked on the ones without (at the start) but that doesn't last long... It's my belief if conditions are such that the jars would break, this will be the least of my worries!

Do be sure to check the stores -- either Ball or Mason have come out with plastic screw tops (standard and wide mouthed) that fit the jars after they are opened.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 13:19   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

get some cheap shelf lining from Walmart, the rubber kind. Wrap each jar and jam the jars close together.

Old 24-09-2011, 15:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
get some cheap shelf lining from Walmart, the rubber kind. Wrap each jar and jam the jars close together.

+1 on non-slip shelf lining. Works beautifully as long as jars don't have a lot of space to move. Non-slip also stops locker contents from nocking on locker walls during unsettled weather -> sailing becomes much more peaceful.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 19:32   #8

+2 on shelf lining. I have it cut in ~4" widths & length to go around wine bottles (for my use). You get a ton of them from a roll and still have some to cut up for between plates, bowls,etc. I use rubber bands to keep the liner on the bottle & store them in a ziplock bag between use. It works great for those in the bilge. In the galley cabinets, I use hair elastic bands just to keep the rattle down. They are cheap and easy to put on.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 20:07   #9

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Welcome aboard!

I also have used ponytail holders to keep the open glass bottles/jars in my galley quiet and give a tiny bit of protection from glass hitting glass. They are tiny, very cheap and work well.
Old 24-09-2011, 20:26   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

stubbie holders..i think the american term may be beer coolers. ( maybe) but they are the wetsuit material tubes used to keep drinks cold.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 13:43   #11
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Tips for Stowing Jars (Canned Goods) Aboard ?

Stowed low in the boat, each jar in its own ribbed sock top from a worn-out sock, we never had a Mason jar break in seas up to 20 feet. Stowed in a high cupboard that let loose, breakage would undoubtedly be a problem. In a wet bilge jar lids need to be protected because salt water would eat through the thin lid in a jiffy. Suggestion: unless you have a farm with a surplus of fruit and vegetables, can only things you cannot buy. Commercially canned foods are a better deal. Of course, jars can be reused but new lids aren't all that cheap. I also re-use cans at least once. They can be disposable baking tins (cupcakes, Boston brown bread), holders to keep springy items such as rolled up hats from taking up too much space and I keep my spring-loaded tongs in a tomato paste can with both ends removed.
Old 25-09-2011, 14:56   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrroberts View Post
We've purchased a pressure canner and have started to can lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, etc.

The issue is that these are in mason canning jars, and while they are thick enough to withstand the pressures and heat of canning, I'm not so sure how well they will last in the settees getting banged around. And the last thing I want is a bunch of sticky peaches and glass in the settee lockers and/or bilge.

Does anyone have any experience with this, tips, methods for storage. I was thinking about different things to put around the jars to protect them, such as:

- Socks (works for our wine)

- getting some thin neoprene and sewing covers

- using some thin line and making a net type cover

- wrapping in towels

Thanks,
Ryan

I have two levels of shelves along both sides of my cabin, and I had no interest in the contents flying across the cabin with each tack. So I have made what I call "snap panels." They're just panels of cloth that snap over the shelves and secure the contents. The boat could heel 40 degrees and nothing would come off those shelves.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 15:10   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

We place plastic containers such as mustard, etc. etc. between the glass. No problems as of yet.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:15   #14

I have heard that children's play dough works. I have not tried myself as I try to avoid glass.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:23   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Bubble back works wonders for all sorts of situations.