Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Tip for Those Using Nespresso Machines

The German company Dallmyer has come out with a Nespresso compatible capsule, which they call "Capsa".

It's not available everywhere, but can be ordered through the German Amazon site Amazon.de.

I now prefer this to the original capsules as they are easier to store (they come in small cubical boxes instead of sleeves), and are slightly cheaper (about .30 euro cents per). Quality is very good; I would say equal to the original.

I do love my Nespresso machine on board. The running costs are fairly high but the machine itself was cheap, and it is much more compact than normal espresso machines. I probably wouldn't use it on land, where you have more space to faff around with grinding beans and cleaning out the baskets of a normal espresso machine, but on board where you have neither time nor space for that, it's really perfect. The only thing which might be better would be a really tiny bean-to-cup machines, which AFAIK, doesn't exist, and which anyway would not pay for itself except for people who live on board year round and/or drink tons and tons of espresso.

Bravo to Dallmyer for finally breaking the Nespresso monopoly. Since the patent on the capsule expired, there have appeared many compatible capsules, but all of the ones I have tried are dramatically worse in quality than the orginal, without being dramatically cheaper.

I used to think that Nespresso capsules were really expensive, but I think now that it's probably not more than double, or maybe 2.5x the cost of using really good beans (which Nespresso capsules use), and the economy of labor, time, and space is enormous.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:15   #2

Re: Tip for Those Using Nespresso Machines

Great cheaper but still way over pridced landfill.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Tip for Those Using Nespresso Machines

Never throw Nespresso capsules in the trash-- they provide recycling envelopes for free! We toss them in a Tupperware canister till we are near a shipping location and then ship them back in the prepaid envelopes

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote