Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 21:53   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Don't forget the black marker...

Don't throw it away. Label it carefully with black marker and stow it where you'll only find it when you're totally desperate.

One dark night, after one too many red cool aids, you'll dig it out and it'll be delicious...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 21:57   #77

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Perhaps useful as bait to catch something more palatable?
Old 28-08-2010, 01:40   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Offal's not (awful)

Fresh pork kidney is devine! Soak it over night in salt water. Then use it a variety of ways. Slice thin and fry in butter for breakfast with eggs or cook it in a nice stew. Tongue is the nicest cut! Backed in a clay baking dish with garlic, bay, onions and red wine. Wow! Liver must be very fresh, sliced very thin and lightly fried in butter. Tripe ... well that's a little wierd and rubbery but tripe pho is awfully good though the tripe is still wierd and rubbery but hey, theres probably a reason a Scot of either sex can wear a dress in that miserable climate and I am betting Haggis is it!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 02:54   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Fresh pork kidney is devine! Soak it over night in salt water. Then use it a variety of ways. Slice thin and fry in butter for breakfast with eggs or cook it in a nice stew. Tongue is the nicest cut! Backed in a clay baking dish with garlic, bay, onions and red wine. Wow! Liver must be very fresh, sliced very thin and lightly fried in butter.
You're just saying that to wind me up! Offal is awful (just like that pun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Tripe ... well that's a little wierd and rubbery but tripe pho is awfully good though the tripe is still wierd and rubbery but hey, theres probably a reason a Scot of either sex can wear a dress in that miserable climate and I am betting Haggis is it!
The scots are only 90 miles north of me and haggis is not that hard to come by. Unfortunately.

Haggis keeps forever simply because no one willingly eat it. Haggis is what you eat after you've finished the dog food, but before you eat kidneys.

I don't know about the US and Canada, but getting reasonable/good quality tinned products is not that hard in the UK, but to divert off topic a touch.... I was shocked to find that my home fridge/freezer (rated category "A" and 6ft in height) uses 44 watts per hour. 44 Watts???? That's nothing. This is a unit with a 3 foot high freezer and 3 foot high fridge. If a *cheap* domestic unit can do that then why is running a freezer at sea such a big deal? 44W @ 12V = 3.5A per hour and I've seen some units advertised for boats that take 1.9A per hour. Surely even the worst solr panel/wind genny combination can rustle up 2A per hour between them?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:42   #80

Boat: Able 50
One more vote for the Costco canned meats. They are all labelled with the house brand "Kirkland".

I recently ate some of the canned turkey and beef that was 3 years old and the beef was the better of the two. The turkey was canned in brine and a little bland but certainly edible. Actually, the brine had given the turkey a flavor just like tuna in brine. The beef was canned in beef stock making it more flavorsome.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:51   #81
cruiser

Liver cans well.
2 amps per hour is a huge amount of power, half my battery capacity per day, not counting other uses.
A friend here in BC, relying on solar and wind generators , went a month with neither sun nor wind. It is quite common here.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 20:50   #82
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Who ate the first egg?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 21:06   #83

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Quote:
Who ate the first egg?
That would be my great uncle Lars. He has been around since the beginning of time and will eat anything, including rotten shark.
Old 05-09-2010, 21:58   #84
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Another protein option

I have been getting shelf stable plastic vac-sealed containers of prosciutto. It keeps with out refrigeration and makes a wonderful addition to a lot of meals!

Mine has come from Cost Plus/World Market but I am sure other stores must carry similar products.

It looks like this;

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 22:19   #85

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Perhaps useful as bait to catch something more palatable?
Icelandic "rotten" shark ain't bad, when eaten in itsy-bitsy pieces and accompanied with a strong alcoholic beverage.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 23:17   #86

mintyspilot, I would like to find a fridge in the US like yours. Assuming that it is running on 220/230 volts you are using about .15 amps. Mine uses 4.5 amps at 115 volts or about 43 amps at 12 volts
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 23:53   #87

Quote:
Icelandic "rotten" shark ain't bad, when eaten in itsy-bitsy pieces and accompanied with a strong alcoholic beverage.
we usually reserve that for tourists--a little shark followed by a shot of potato and caraway seed schnapps.
Old 15-09-2010, 15:15   #88
cruiser

They make plastic lids for wide mouth caning jars. This lets you store dry goods in them when they are empty of meat, which saves the space they would otherwise take up.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 15:32   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yeah, I think it comes from the same ethnic origins as "lutefisk".

Where to people dream up these concoctions?

I mean, as being from good old German heritage, why wouldn't I take some blood and bits of tongue and then stuff it inside a sheep's intestine and call it yummm
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 16:54   #90

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Yeah, I think it comes from the same ethnic origins as "lutefisk".

Where to people dream up these concoctions?

I mean, as being from good old German heritage, why wouldn't I take some blood and bits of tongue and then stuff it inside a sheep's intestine and call it yummm
In that case, it's best to eat starting with your third pint/half-liter of beer.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote