Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 19:40   #46

Boat: csy 37
Re: Thermos Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
This morning I put 3 eggs from the fridge in a small wide mouth thermos bottle. Added boiling water. Let sit for about 7 hours: soft "boiled" eggs at best; edible but not primo. Water was still quite warm. I was after zipless hard cooked eggs.
you almost did it. try this. since you're boiling water anyway, put the eggs in the pot of cold water and bring to a boil. as soon as it boils, move eggs and water (carefully) to the thermos. will be ready in about fifteen minutes.

i used to do this very thing many years ago when i took the eggs to work for lunch. my current variation is just to bring the eggs to a boil, then turn off the stove and let them sit in the pot for fifteen minutes. they're done.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 21:42   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
YMMV.

This morning I put 3 eggs from the fridge in a small wide mouth thermos bottle. Added boiling water. Let sit for about 7 hours: soft "boiled" eggs at best; edible but not primo. Water was still quite warm.

I was after zipless hard cooked eggs.
Cold eggs was the problem. Try them at room temp next time.
After an hour and a half my water temp was still 77 deg C (F = hot).

(Or get a Stanley ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 23:39   #48

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Thermos Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
... my current variation is just to bring the eggs to a boil, then turn off the stove and let them sit in the pot for fifteen minutes. they're done.
Yep, that's what I normally do. Now. I previously boiled them til one cracked. They were always done that way. Here, though, I was experimenting with the earlier SWL post. If ya can't trust a mod, who can ya trust? The hope was to just boil water in the kettle the one time for coffee/tea and the eggs would be a bonus. But noooooooh. And room temperature eggs? That would require some planning and preparation on my part! Like that's gonna happen.

Pffft!

What would a female know about serious cooking like boiling eggs and other gastrointestinal stuff anyway? Chefs are men. They're not called "Chefettes." I mean, sure Rachel Ray is as cute as they come but come on!

I got yer Stanley™, Lassie. Stanley™ ain't manly. In fact, you're welcome to my discarded Stanley™. It's just sulking, taking up space. I got it at a low-scale thrift shop for a couple bucks. Somebody else tossed it after buying a real Thermos™, I'm guessing.

I really don't know why one brand would be better than another. Perhaps it somehow developed a pinhole leak and normal dirty air, not vacuumed air, rushed in. Perhaps the air just sauntered in. What's the rush?

"Nature abhors a vacuum." Horror vacui was how I heard it, way back in the day. I'm not real crazy about vacuums either. I use a dust mop aboard the good ship Blue Crab. And not all that often either.

Now if I could only find a zipless way to peel boiled eggs. There's a job for a woman. Youtoob has several "clever" videos of how to do it. I have tried them all. I'm guessing there's a lot of video retakes to make me look stupid. My favorite is the one where you crack the egg and then roll it along the counter with yer palm. Gently. Ya don't want to get heavy-handed here. The mashing of the eggs comes later. In the video the shell comes off in a couple of pieces. In real boatlife, not so much.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 23:48   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I used Thermos vacuum flasks for decades back home very happily, so when looking for a new flask on a Greek island I happily paid what seemed like an arm and a leg for a Thermos. It was a dud. Within minutes of pouring water in the sides were too hot to touch. I took it back and the comical reply was that it was supposed to behave this way - that was why a handle was provided on the flask! I requested the thermos be filled with boiling water and tested out and in the end I was provided with a replacement. Same story again . I gave up.
We had exactly the same experience with exactly the same response on the Greek mainland!
Old 12-05-2014, 23:51   #50

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Stanley is now made in China. Made with lower quality metals and poor quality control. Eggs will peel much easier if they're not fresh
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 23:52   #51

pirate Re: Thermos Cooking

Quote:
Cold eggs was the problem. Try them at room temp next time.
After an hour and a half my water temp was still 77 deg C (F = hot).

(Or get a Stanley ).
Yuk yuk, Lassie. The F really stands for "F-ing hot." In German: Farenhot. The C ... wait for it ... stands for "cold."

'Murica ain't goin' metric.
Old 13-05-2014, 08:34   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Manly Stanleys

Quote:
Yep, that's what I normally do. Now. I previously boiled them til one cracked. They were always done that way. Here, though, I was experimenting with the earlier SWL post. If ya can't trust a mod, who can ya trust? The hope was to just boil water in the kettle the one time for coffee/tea and the eggs would be a bonus. But noooooooh. And room temperature eggs? That would require some planning and preparation on my part! Like that's gonna happen.

Pffft!

What would a female know about serious cooking like boiling eggs and other gastrointestinal stuff anyway? Chefs are men. They're not called "Chefettes." I mean, sure Rachel Ray is as cute as they come but come on!

I got yer Stanley™, Lassie. Stanley™ ain't manly. In fact, you're welcome to my discarded Stanley™. It's just sulking, taking up space. I got it at a low-scale thrift shop for a couple bucks. Somebody else tossed it after buying a real Thermos™, I'm guessing.

Well, leave an unsupervised lass in the galley and what do you expect? Reliability? Reproducible results? I only claim to reliably look decorative while bending over a hot stove. I've had no complaints in that department so far .

PS An unappreciated Stanley will never perform at its best. Pass it over and I will give it some TLC and see what I can coax out of it.

Old 13-05-2014, 09:20   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Now if I could only find a zipless way to peel boiled eggs.
"Have It Oeuf" apparently comes highly recommended.

Old 13-05-2014, 09:53   #54

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)
Re: Eggs revisited

Quote:
Armed with experience from the first trial, I simply popped 3 eggs (at room temperature of 21°C) in the base of a cold Stanley thermos (710 ml, wide mouthed), filled the thermos with boiling water and let it sit for an hour and a half wrapped in a blanket.

Water temperature when opened was 77°C (interesting only for those concerned by salmonella ). Eggs were perfectly hardboiled. I give my thermos the thumbs up for eggs as well .

I've tried that and waited and waited but all I got was softboilled eggs but I'm up at 3300 feet above sea level.... I even poured boiling water in first but that did not help.
Old 13-05-2014, 10:09   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt2Salt View Post
I've tried that and waited and waited but all I got was softboilled eggs but I'm up at 3300 feet above sea level.... I even poured boiling water in first but that did not help.
Water will boil at about 96 deg C instead of 100 at that elevation. So you will gain 4 degrees in a marine environment .

Anything else different? Were the eggs colder than mine to start with? Or was the volume of the flask less than 24oz (710ml)? Or the flask not filled entirely?

Does the top of your flask warm up indicating rapid loss of heat? My flask top warms slightly so I wrap it in a blanket to help insulate it.

Old 13-05-2014, 10:30   #56

Quote:
Water will boil at about 96 deg C instead of 100 at that elevation. So you will gain 4 degrees in a marine environment .

Anything else different? Were the eggs colder than mine to start with? Or was the volume of the flask less than 24oz (710ml)? Or the flask not filled entirely?

Does the top of your flask warm up indicating rapid loss of heat? My flask top warms slightly so I wrap it in a blanket to help insulate it.

Mine is a 24 oz Thermos, with Wide mouth from Wal-Mart. It has a plastic lid with a insulated cup that goes on top of that lid.

1st time I placed 3 cold eggs from the ref. into the cold thermos and added boiling water from the kettle. Placed a potholder on the counter and turned the Thermos on it's side and placed another potholder on top. Waited 1 hr. and a half; opened the bottle and removed 1 egg which was softboiled. The water was still hot so I closed it back up and waited another hour and still hard boil and water was still hot. (I was too dumb to get the cooking thermoter out and check the water).

The next day I took the eggs out of the ref. and waited an hour before I added my boiling water to the Thermos to bring the bottle up to temperture. Waited 15 min, poured out water added then warmer eggs and then added water from the kettle again (I forgot to turn the kettle on to bring the hot water up to boil the second time). Soft boiled after 2 hrs. even wrapped in a towel and set on the counter as above.

I am going to keep trying till I get this down. But like prior post I want to use the kettle for coffiee and eggs. I don't want to wash another pot. And if I could fix more in the morning and then have some waiting for me for lunch...even better.
Old 13-05-2014, 10:48   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt2Salt View Post
Mine is a 24 oz Thermos, with Wide mouth from Wal-Mart. It has a plastic lid with a insulated cup that goes on top of that lid.

1st time I placed 3 cold eggs from the ref. into the cold thermos and added boiling water from the kettle. Placed a potholder on the counter and turned the Thermos on it's side and placed another potholder on top. Waited 1 hr. and a half; opened the bottle and removed 1 egg which was softboiled. The water was still hot so I closed it back up and waited another hour and still hard boil and water was still hot. (I was too dumb to get the cooking thermoter out and check the water).

The next day I took the eggs out of the ref. and waited an hour before I added my boiling water to the Thermos to bring the bottle up to temperture. Waited 15 min, poured out water added then warmer eggs and then added water from the kettle again (I forgot to turn the kettle on to bring the hot water up to boil the second time). Soft boiled after 2 hrs. even wrapped in a towel and set on the counter as above.

I am going to keep trying till I get this down. But like prior post I want to use the kettle for coffiee and eggs. I don't want to wash another pot. And if I could fix more in the morning and then have some waiting for me for lunch...even better.
I have a few suggestions for your next trial to keep things as simple as possible, but with a successful result:
Try putting room temperature eggs into a cold thermos, then boiling the water.
When the water is boiling briskly immediately pour a cup in and then hold the eggs down with a spoon and pour it out (this should preheat the eggs and thermos a bit without the need for a second boil).
Quickly fill up the thermos with boiling water, seal, wrap in a blanket/quilt and leave upright for 1.5 hours.

I think if you let the boiling water stand for any length of time it will cool too much. Also keeping the eggs as far away as possible from the lid where most of the heat escapes and then wrapping the whole thermos snuggly should help . Otherwise a better insulated thermos is needed.

Edited to add: Try the above with 2 eggs instead of 3.

Old 13-05-2014, 13:29   #58

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

A couple of egg thoughts: different sizes of eggs will affect outcome. Also, I've read it takes about 24 hours for an egg to come up to room temp--and who wants to plan breakfast that far ahead?
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:57   #59

SeaWorthy Lass:

Thanks!!! I'll try that soon.

That sounds like a great way.
Old 13-05-2014, 16:43   #60

pirate Re: Eggs revisited

Quote:
I have a few suggestions for your next trial to keep things as simple as possible, but with a successful result:
Try putting room temperature eggs into a cold thermos, then boiling the water.
When the water is boiling briskly immediately pour a cup in and then hold the eggs down with a spoon and pour it out (this should preheat the eggs and thermos a bit without the need for a second boil).
Quickly fill up the thermos with boiling water, seal, wrap in a blanket/quilt and leave upright for 1.5 hours.

I think if you let the boiling water stand for any length of time it will cool too much. Also keeping the eggs as far away as possible from the lid where most of the heat escapes and then wrapping the whole thermos snuggly should help . Otherwise a better insulated thermos is needed.
Holy Canoli, this is like a math class. Let's all take a big calming deep breathe and step away from the stove. We got ourselves a police state cranking up on another thread. The boiled eggs can wait. Fry them suckas!!! Fry em good.

Tags
cooking