Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 13:52   #16
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: The Three Best Cookbooks for Travelling with a Small Galley !

Ditto the recommendation for Joy of Cooking because it tells you what to do with food items you may never have seen before but will encounter along the way.
Old 29-12-2011, 21:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
My 1932 cookbook is by far my favorite -- Good Housekeeping Collection of Recipes. It is falling apart so I keep it in a large ziplock. No 'convenience' ingredients in this wonderful old cookbook.

Judy
I'm a huge collector of vntage cookbooks and some of my favorite are the oldest--trusted and true. I also use them as reference guides to plan for long trips. They're the greatest resources!

Thanks for sharing!
lisauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37   #18

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have a 2nd 3burner/grill stove in the cockpit for fish and other smelling cooking. Mostly I do the cooking outside.

I am looking now for a small microwave/grill. I have a small genset to feed the required power.
There is not far away a company that tins the most fantastic elementary foodstuff and for long travels I load a stock of their Indonesian cuisine, hams, and meat. I use next to that half baked bread that will stay good for a few weeks. Being a singlehander it suffices most of the time.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 19:42   #19

I have about 6 cookbooks (Cruising Chef, One Pan Galley Gourmet,etc) -I live aboard so these are all I have- but 3 that I don't think have been mentioned are the Cruising KISS Cookbook by Connie Kanter and 2 that I found somewhere in book trades, in marinas or swap meets. One is an old Seafood Cookbook that has old recipes like Oyster Stuffing and the other is from Gig Harbor Yacht Club where members bring in their favorite recipes. Both are fun to read the information and stories. They have quick recipes that are easy to follow.
However, most of the time I make the same dishes I have for years- from family, friends or collected . I do look at the cookbooks sometimes for ideas though.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 19:56   #20

Living in France in an area where topquality food is richly available and good cooking highly appreciated, I learned many things from my aunt on the farm and also to treat meat. Although she had modern kitchen gear she still cooked in the fireplace. A fireplace where summer and winter always a fire burned.
She was widely known for her Foie Gras and when we had the tobacco harvest all farmers from the community came to help. I cooked mostly the main dish while my aunt prepared the intermediate courses and the dessert.

We started at 12.00 with the aperitif, followed at 12.30 by dinner. Around 14.00 we ended the meal, but sometimes we returned not earlier than 14.30 to the fields. Four to five courses were rule rather than exception.

This is of course a tradition that cannot repeated on a small yacht, but the recipes are still there and sometimes we unite with some yachts and have a small harbour where we have dinner together.
Old 01-01-2012, 21:03   #21

Pommes Sarladaises

We use small round potatoes but you can slice potatoes as well if you cannot find the round ones. Peel the potatoes, wash them and pat them dry.
In a large pan, over high heat, add two tablespoons fat (we used goose fat, but duck is great too). The fat you get from the "Confit de Canard" or Foie Gras. Carefully add the potatoes to the very hot melted fat. Reduce the heat, and stir often (gently) until the potatoes start looking slightly golden or when the fat is gone. Add some salt and two more tablespoons fat and cook until golden light brown. Add the garlic, the chopped parsley and one (or two) tablespoon(s) fat. Stir for a minute, add the truffles, then stir for another minute or so, and add salt and pepper if needed. Voila! Serve with the Truffle Omelette, or with Duck Confit.

Pommes Sarladaises with Perigord Black Truffles:

2 lbs. Russet Potatoes
3 large Minced Garlics Cloves
5 to 6 Tablespoons Goose or Duck Fat
2 Tablespoons Minced Parsley
Salt and Pepper
1.5 oz. Fresh Black Perigord Truffles cut into matchsticks

In the Dordogne we have found regularly truffles on our dominion which is altogether 120 hectares. Truffles you find in the woods under or next to oaktrees. My sister, who owns the farm now, has a special trained dog.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:54   #22

Boat: Com-Pac 23/3

I just recommended these books on our blog. They are not cookbooks, per se, but have numerous delicious regional recipes, as well as great stories that relate how the recipes were acquired. Enjoyable read whether you are a cook or not. Embarrassment of Mangoes and Spice Necklace by Ann Vanderhoof.

Brenda
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:38   #23

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I store my favorite recipes on my laptop.
Old 19-02-2012, 08:52   #24

I think that I must agree with some of you I love the Joy of Cooking just for a reference as to what goes in what.I am Greek and have a great Greek one , and then one for Fish. I would hate to start too big a cookbook library as I have over 400 in my kitchen so I could get carried away I hope I can keep it to three.
waterlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 10:17   #25

Boat: Graham Radford 415
We had a ton of cook books (specifically on board cooking) on board here but I just didn't like how much room they all took up, so one day I just got rid of them all. Now I just use a couple of different cooking websites and save recipes to the iPad. I can keep the same amount of recipes that's in ten cook books in one small tablet, I just love it! Then when it's time to cook I can just prop up the iPad and follow it on screen, takes up a lot less room too.
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 17:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles
We had a ton of cook books (specifically on board cooking) on board here but I just didn't like how much room they all took up, so one day I just got rid of them all. Now I just use a couple of different cooking websites and save recipes to the iPad. I can keep the same amount of recipes that's in ten cook books in one small tablet, I just love it! Then when it's time to cook I can just prop up the iPad and follow it on screen, takes up a lot less room too.

This is what I hope to do as well. I have 6 cook books and 2 3-ring binders filled with recipes I use. I would love to reduce this load by putting them all on a computer. It would be great to get a tablet that could be used as I cook. I would have to get used to browsing on a computer instead of flipping through pages (I'm old fashioned, I guess!) Guess this is my summer vacation goal!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 18:18   #27

Boat: Union Polaris 36

joy of cooking, and whatever you want on ebooks.

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 05:26   #28

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
OK, I found the cookbook."The Yachting Cookbook" by Elizabeth Wheeler and Jennifer Trainer. A customer showed it to me before I retired and I found one on Amazon. I highly recommend "Ernestina's Fish Chowder" on page 52. If only I could catch a fish.
If you take a look at this thread it might be of some help on catching a fish

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post892907
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 17:52   #29

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

Depends nowhere you travel. I like to have at least one cookbook of the area I'm cruising in so I can make use of the local ingredients. Currently in Thailand, so am cooking my way through David Thompson's brilliant Thai Food. I also use Nigella Lawson's How to Eat frequently.
Old 24-02-2012, 17:53   #30

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

Oops, should have been "on where you travel".