Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48   #271
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ofer, you can make ceviche with any kind of acid. Lemons and limes provide citric acid, vinegar is acetic acid. A flavored (red wine, cider, champagne) vinegar will be more flavorful than the cheap white stuff.

Lowride, since "ketchup" is just tomatoes with mainly onion and garlic seasoning, I'd guess that is one of the many "Barbeque" flavors we have in the US. But maybe "barbeque" as a concept does't sell as well in the Great White North?

No poutine flavor chips with fatty gravy and mayonaisse flavoring? <vbg>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08   #272

Boat: Bristol 38.8
One of my essentials is white vinegar. I carry lots of it. Some I use for cooking or salads, some to clean the head.

For Ceviche I use lemon juice, though.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13   #273

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
But maybe "barbeque" as a concept does't sell as well in the Great White North?
"Bar-b-q" flavour chips are one of the more popular sellers up here; there are plenty of variations too - spicy bar-b-q, smoky bar-b-q; asian bar-b-q; even "Barbecued baby back ribs" flavour. IMO ketchup-flavour chips taste nothing like ketchup and are an acquired taste.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58   #274

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
mmmmmm ketchup chips, fyi tastes nothing like ketchup its its own flavor. Also Id stock up on Clamato juice (clam-tomato) sounds gross I know, but you use it to make ceasers, a ceaser is a bloodymary but actually tastes good. widely popular in canada, fairly unknown in the us. it is possible to buy clamato in the super markets down there, but you might have to go searching.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55   #275
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think it is Mott's (brand) Clamato juice in the States, and the stuff is in every supermarket, at least in the Northeast.

We save the clam juice for chowdah or white sauce, and tend to use real tomato sauce rather than just the juice with the clams. I guess the French went to Canada and the Italians settled just south of it, huh? <G>

The thought of Clamato doesn't gross me out, but it brings to mind "Gee...is that all that's left on the shelf?" You keep on enjoying those, and pass the single malts down this way. That'll work.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:41   #276

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Ginger is a nice spice and fresh ginger tea is good for a queasy stomach. Fresh ginger will keep nicely (won't dry out) in a jar of potable alcohol. I've used white wine and vodka. The vodka tasted fine, too. If you're taking ice for the beginning of the trip, Heineken beer cans are strong enough to freeze, with the added benefit that you'll have to figure out.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 18:30   #277

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
"Bar-b-q" flavour chips are one of the more popular sellers up here; there are plenty of variations too - spicy bar-b-q, smoky bar-b-q; asian bar-b-q; even "Barbecued baby back ribs" flavour. IMO ketchup-flavour chips taste nothing like ketchup and are an acquired taste.
BBQ as a concept sells anywhere in the world..get on a good bbq forum and see....it's just that we of the southern US have elevated it to a much higher art form than the rest of the pogues in the world.
Old 12-12-2010, 16:41   #278

Boat: O'Day 28
Well, I've just finished reading this thread. Had to stop and eat occasionally. And sleep. Very informative. My favorite post was the "powdered milf" that all but me left alone. But think of the convenience for the solo sailor! I had to Google some things. UTH, for example. I cut and pasted many recipies, copied a couple of lists. My own cooking is quite limited but this thread was very helpful. Thank you.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 18:03   #279

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Who can go anywhere without gummie bears?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 05:39   #280

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I'd recommend a source of vitamin C.. how about sauerkraut
If you want sauerkraut I highly recommend finding the German kind. The American sauerkraut is awful.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 06:07   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
People have mentioned pasta but I don't bring it on the boat. It takes too much water to rinse it properly after cooking.
Why are you rinsing pasta?

Maje
Old 31-12-2010, 06:23   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSC View Post
GRITS!!!! Being a southerner I'm not sure I could live without Grits in the mornin' ... and occassional dinner.. I carry 19 # aboard all the time! you haven't lived until you have had good shimp n' grits...
Yum. I am not from the south but I love grits. Shrimp and cheese grits. Grits with scrambled eggs. Yum. Unfortunately, my husband does not like them.

Maje
Old 31-12-2010, 20:36   #283

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Who can go anywhere without gummie bears?
If I recall, the former Kaiser Wilhelm II once commented, 'Gummie Bears are the only good thing to have come out of the Weimar Republic.'
Old 03-01-2011, 08:14   #284

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Here's a bit of a twist. Fishing lures for trailing the boat under sail. Which lures work best on the open ocean for tilapia, tuna, Flounder etc...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59   #285

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Here's a bit of a twist. Fishing lures for trailing the boat under sail. Which lures work best on the open ocean for tilapia, tuna, Flounder etc...
Tilapia - any fresh water lure that works for a similar sized FRESH water fish.... you won't find any of them in an ocean.

Flounder - as this is a ground fish, your not going to be catching any trolling behind a boat.

Not trying to be rude, but you really need to understand your prey and the environment it thrives in.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote