Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 11:33   #151

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Isn't their a Soya alternative dried meat available "Quorn" which could be used in stews, Spag Bol, Pizza, Big Mac etc?
Pete
One word for that "yuck!" There is a name for a protein substitute soy product, BOCA. I think it stands for 'beef or chicken, almost'

I carry a small pressure cooker and canning supplies. When I am able to get stores, whether through (preferably) harvest, or purchase, I can some for future use. It lasts a long time without refrigeration and keeps nearly all of its nutritional value.
Old 25-06-2010, 11:54   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Poutine is a delicious mixture of french-fries, chicken gravy, and cheese (fromage beaucronne).
Montreal Poutine

And you think you’ve got problems with hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis, & coronary heart disease.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 18:31   #153

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
GRITS!!!! Being a southerner I'm not sure I could live without Grits in the mornin' ... and occassional dinner.. I carry 19 # aboard all the time!

you haven't lived until you have had good shimp n' grits...
FreeSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 19:59   #154
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Poutine, like fish eggs, snails, frogs legs, and other delicacies enjoyed in certain places the French have been, has simply never made it big in America.

Then again, certain US-southern-redneck delicacies like fried pork rinds and pickled pigs knuckles have never made it big in France either, have they?

And the gods only know how the world has come to think McBurgers have anything to do with real US hamburgers....I think I'd rather give the crew Coke and Fries and save the exotic stuff for Somali pirates. Ergh, fishermen.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 21:17   #155

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSC View Post
GRITS!!!! Being a southerner I'm not sure I could live without Grits in the mornin' ... and occassional dinner.. I carry 19 # aboard all the time!

you haven't lived until you have had good shimp n' grits...
That doesn't sound good, but I'll bet it IS good. Probably really good.
The ingredients should be easy to come by while cruising.
My wife threatens me with a knife when I put butter & maple syrup on grits.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 22:37   #156
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

GRITS???? What on earth are grits?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 22:57   #157

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Ground dried hominy. Then boiled to form a mush. Hominy is like really big corn.
A southern US version of porridge I suppose. It pairs well with red beans, eggs, and spicy sausage. Now I'm hungry again!
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 23:09   #158

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I had to look it up Kate, Grits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Hominy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Basically two preparations of corn meal.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 08:48   #159
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quick, you distract 'em with the grits, I'll steal the shrimp platter. <G>

I love hot dogs, too, but when they're served with prime rib...I'm just not gonna bother with the dogs.

Grits versus shrimp? Boy, you'd have to love grits!
Old 28-06-2010, 09:09   #160

Boat: Land Locked... ugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Quick, you distract 'em with the grits, I'll steal the shrimp platter. <G>

I love hot dogs, too, but when they're served with prime rib...I'm just not gonna bother with the dogs.

Grits versus shrimp? Boy, you'd have to love grits!
LOL its not grits vs shrimp, its grits with shrimp and is very good.
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:51   #161

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Poutine, like fish eggs, snails, frogs legs, and other delicacies enjoyed in certain places the French have been, has simply never made it big in America.
Quebecois are French, but they are not THE French - it's like calling the USA some place the English have been

Poutine apparently is quite the "in" dish in New York City. Poutine has three things Americans are powerless to pass by - carbs, fat and gravy - it's only a matter of time before poutine 'n' grits is on Denny's menu
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 20:21   #162
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Quebecois are French, but they are not THE French "
Why are you confused about that? I said "places the French have been", I didn't say France or the French themselves.
Incidentally, France has a national registry of who is and isn't French. If you are, you are entitled to a French passport, among other things. If you're just Quebecois...you're not automatically entitled to be registered, because you may not be French. You may only be Canadian, although, there are many Canadians and Quebecois alike who would say THATs a major misconception as well.<G>

Poutine isn't "in" in NYC. Everything is "in" someplace in NYC, but citywide? Bagels, hot dogs from dirty water street vendors, pizza that doesn't come from a franchise oven and is't eaten with a fork...mais non, not poutine. Heck, I'd bet there are a thousand tacquerias in NYC for every place that serves poutine. In NYC the french fries are still eaten with ketchup, not mayonaise or, ugh, all that stuff on them. In NYC the only question about fries is, seasoned-ranch-or-plain?
Old 29-06-2010, 04:54   #163

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Grits don't taste like anything. Like tofu, they absorb some of the flavor of whatever they are cooked with. Unlike tofu, grits are mostly carbs.

Oatmeal is healthier.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 05:22   #164

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Why are you confused about that? I said "places the French have been", I didn't say France or the French themselves.
No, you implied that poutine was similar to French cuisine - it is not. The French were removed from Quebec before the English were removed from the US. American cuisine (grits and all) developed distinctly from English cuisine - it is the same in Quebec. And what do you say about cajun cooking, mon ami?

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks poutine is taking over NYC.

Quote:
While we realized awhile ago that New York was being slowly colonized by poutine, we had no idea how thorough the infiltration was until the folks at the D.C.-based blog Endless Simmer decided to journey here to conduct a poutine crawl.
The crawl's participants traveled from Park Slope to the Upper West Side, with a couple of detours to the Lower East Side. They sampled seven poutines in all -- an eighth, at the Hotel Griffou, was rejected after the crawl's organizer read some bad reviews of the place and grew understandably concerned that it would be "a little too scene-y for [his] tastes."
Mile End's brisket-enhanced poutine -- whose praises Our Man Sietsema sang earlier this week -- was judged Best Poutine in Show.
Reading about the crawl, we were a) impressed and a bit appalled by how much poutine the participants were able to ingest, apparently without fatal consequence, and b) somewhat amazed to realize that Brooklyn has become something of a poutine paradise. Between Mile End, Sheep Station, and Corner Burger, which serves 13 varieties of the stuff, the vicinity of the Flatbush and Atlantic Avenue intersection has unexpectedly morphed into curd country.
A New York Poutine Crawl Reveals Brooklyn to Be an Unlikely Poutine Paradise - New York Restaurants and Dining - Fork in the Road
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Poutine has three things Americans are powerless to pass by - carbs, fat and gravy - it's only a matter of time before poutine 'n' grits is on Denny's menu
Ugh it sounds awful.
Kinda surprising Denny's doesn't have it - I'm sure they have smothered fries, and probably have biscuits-&-sausage-gravy, so all the ingredients are already there.
Have to change the name though, I don't know if the average patron will be up for something called "poutine" - sounds too weird & foreign.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote